Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vand0576

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
saint paul, mn
My friend, who has owned a 20" iMac Core Duo for months now, was reading this forum over my shoulder this past weekend, and upon reading everyone's complaints about the iMac chin said simply:

"I like the chin, that's where I put post-it notes."

Like it or not, it's here. I think since it is here, people may as well put it to use somehow, like my friend did. What else do people use their iMac chin for?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't hang or stick anything on my computer. Hell I don't even really use post-it notes...they're too disorganized. But then I'm a neataholic.

I have to say though that I don't mind the chin. It's disctinctive. Just think, without the chin, no one would know at first glance that it was an iMac. 99% of casual observers would just think it was a monitor hooked up to a machine underneath your desk or something.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I would be OK with the chin if the iMac had an adustable height stand... as it is, the chin can sometimes look ... odd.

In any case, that's about the only thing I could think of to "do" with the chin space... except ... oooh, this is a good one, if I decide to get a 20" iMac next month I will get/make some vinyl clings and have some sort of cool rearrangable pirate scene on the bottom of my computer.

That alone, I think, made my decision between a Core Duo mini and an iMac... ;)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Not only is the chin completely irrelevant to me, but it's found on LOTS of other machines and displays, starting with my eMac.

What's different? That Apple CONCEALED the speaker grilles and vents rather than making them obvious.

Somehow, that bothers people :eek:

Yes, there's more plastic below the screen than above. And yes, that plastic lacks visible vents, fans, grilles, cracks, seams, lights*, stripes, and other decoration*. I don't know why anyone cares, but they do.

I'm guessing if Apple made the case in 2 parts with an assembly crack running left to right, and visible holes for speakers and LEDs or something, the exact same "chin" dimensions would make no impression on people at all. But it would be less clean and minimalist, and to my eye, uglier.

* Except for the sleep light and Apple logo.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
nagromme said:
Not only is the chin completely irrelevant to me, but it's found on LOTS of other machines and displays, starting with my eMac.

What's different? That Apple CONCEALED the speaker grilles and vents rather than making them obvious.

Somehow, that bothers people :eek:

Yes, there's more plastic below the screen than above. And yes, that plastic lacks visible vents, fans, grilles, cracks, seams, lights*, stripes, and other decoration*. I don't know why anyone cares, but they do.

I'm guessing if Apple made the case in 2 parts with an assembly crack running left to right, and visible holes for speakers and LEDs or something, the exact same "chin" dimensions would make no impression on people at all. But it would be less clean and minimalist, and to my eye, uglier.

* Except for the sleep light and Apple logo.

It's an odd, empty look space. I mean, why do people paint walls and then hag things on them? Empty, plain space looks ... wrong. I'm not sure LEDs and speaker grills would look any better, but if they made the chin two tone it would go a long way to minimizing the chins appearance. (Maybe iPod white case with an aluminum or the PowerMac G4 blue/gray bezel around the screen, with a little more 'framing' on the bottom).

Also the chin on the 24" is proportioned well, and looks nice, and the 20" isn't too bad. It's really only the 17" that looks awkward, imo.

SmashingPumpkin

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure Jay Leno owns a lot of Apple stock. Chin--get it? Crickets chirping

I'll be here all week, try the veal.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
SmashingPumpkin said:
I'm pretty sure Jay Leno owns a lot of Apple stock. Chin--get it? Crickets chirping

I'll be here all week, try the veal.

LMFAO! Ahhhh, thanks for a great laugh.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I will use mine for speakers, cooling, RAM access, IR receiver, power button, peripheral connections and sleep light :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.