Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switchon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Hi,

Newbie here, my apologies if I posted this in the wrong section in advance.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro that has music I transferred from 2013 MacBook Pro. I transferred the music from my 2013 MacBook Pro using an external hard drive. I grabbed the "iTunes" folder and transferred to external and then plugged in to my 2018 MacBook Pro.
Everything worked perfectly. Playlists and dates added and everything else.

I have over 30k songs. I am a DJ

I now have a new 2021 MacBook Pro and when I did the same thing, I have no PLAYLISTS and all my music is dated on the same day I transferred (April 2022) Unlike my 2018 that had different dates added (same dates as 2013 MacBook Pro)

When I look inside my Music folder on my 2018 it still says iTunes.
Is there a way to mirror the same exact Playlists and Dates Added from my 2018 MacBook Pro to my new 2021 MacBook Pro?
They are running the same up to date operating system which is Monterey.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It Depends on what out running in Mac OS! You moved from the iTunes way to Music way era and Music Library MOVED! In my M1 Mac Book Air Music Library is location is now /User/Username/Library/Music/ folder! iTunes keep the music in iTunes folder, see the differences?

switchon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
I have taken it to Apple for a genius to look at but they were unable to help as well. @satcomer, thank you for your reply. I am starting fresh on my new MBP 2021 and not transferring or doing a migration. I am only moving music. Not sure if that is the same.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
fwiw, i did a time machine restore on my new macbook recently and all of my playlists were transferred.

Reactions: switchon

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have taken it to Apple for a genius to look at but they were unable to help as well. @satcomer, thank you for your reply. I am starting fresh on my new MBP 2021 and not transferring or doing a migration. I am only moving music. Not sure if that is the same.
Yep it copied the old folder contents that contain the sync playlist file! People seem not able to understand their are folders that contain everything including playlists, stars and other Preferences! It always been done this way even in the iTunes era!

switchon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
Yep it copied the old folder contents that contain the sync playlist file! People seem not able to understand their are folders that contain everything including playlists, stars and other Preferences! It always been done this way even in the iTunes era!
I tried again to direct the music to the right folder. I am still confused. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I put my 2018 in target disk mode and dragged the music folder over the new 2021. I redirected the Music App to the same address as my 2018 and it still did not work.

I know I'm missing something.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Yes you missed something! You should have transferred the whole older that contains the file with YOUR Preference on the song(s) in your Library! You DID NOT transfer the whole folder!

switchon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2019
@satcomer, I transferred everything over and still it did not work. I also tried to open music holding down option button and creating a new library and that did not work as well. I might as well just start fresh. Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.