Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YeasirAraFath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Bangladesh
My uncle brought me an iPhone 15 Pro Max from Thailand, but the invoice was left at the VAT refund section at the airport. In this case, will I face any problems claiming Apple warranty? Moreover, since he went to Thailand on a tourist visa, he purchased the phone with his passport information. Can I still claim the warranty while using the phone without him?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
My uncle brought me an iPhone 15 Pro Max from Thailand, but the invoice was left at the VAT refund section at the airport. In this case, will I face any problems claiming Apple warranty? Moreover, since he went to Thailand on a tourist visa, he purchased the phone with his passport information. Can I still claim the warranty while using the phone without him?
Your warranty is given by your serial number in your iPhone, you don't need the invoice/receipt.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
As mentioned above, you shouldn't need the invoice if the phone is covered by a warranty. But it's best to enter your serial number at the website I linked in post #2, because Apple may restrict service to the Covered Equipment’s original Country of Purchase.

YeasirAraFath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Bangladesh
As mentioned above, you shouldn't need the invoice if the phone is covered by a warranty. But it's best to enter your serial number at the website I linked in post #2, because Apple may restrict service to the Covered Equipment’s original Country of Purchase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 43

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
All that webpage does is say if the iphone is covered by a warranty, it does not state who is the person covered by the warranty and in this case it would be his uncle because at the point of sale, the iphone serial number would be registered against the person who bought the iphone, that being his uncle. Therefore is anything was to go wrong with the iphone, Apple would look up the serial numbers and see that it is assigned to his uncle. Transfer of ownership can occur BUT you need the sales receipt for that.

Apple may go out of it's way to help you if the iphone had problems BUT legally Apple are under no obligation to deal with you because you was not the one who purchased the iphone. Let me put it this way, your iphone develops a problem, you ring apple support, they ask you for your name and the serial number of the iphone, they go to check their computer system and notice the iphone has been registered against the name of the purchaser. You tell them that your uncle bought the iphone for you. Support then ask you for more confirmation details, details which would be on the sales receipt. No receipt, Apple turn round and say 'sorry, we cannot help you, get your uncle to contact us'.

Reactions: YeasirAraFath

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
All that webpage does is say if the iphone is covered by a warranty, it does not state who is the person covered by the warranty and in this case it would be his uncle because at the point of sale, the iphone serial number would be registered against the person who bought the iphone, that being his uncle. Therefore is anything was to go wrong with the iphone, Apple would look up the serial numbers and see that it is assigned to his uncle. Transfer of ownership can occur BUT you need the sales receipt for that.
It doesn’t matter who purchased the phone. Apple will still honor the warranty on the device. You don’t need the sales receipt, they just look up the device serial and that’s it. You also don’t need the sales receipt to be the registered owner of the device. You can call Apple Support and tell them that you got the phone as a gift and to add the device to your account. They will ask for the serial or IMEI and that’s all. They don’t care who purchased the device and they don’t track purchasers. If it’s covered, it’s covered. The only time you would need a sales receipt is if you were in an activation lock and couldn’t complete an account recovery (for your Apple ID).

Reactions: YeasirAraFath
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.