Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yudilks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I bought it mid last month (week 32)... Back then, the shipping time was still 7 business day (I don't know whether it's still like that nowadays)... So I picked up the phone and call Apple to order my MBP 2.2 Ghz... The sales person was quite nice, she promised me to expedite the process and to my surprise, the delivery guy called me a few hours later and told me that they would deliver it that evening, the very same day...

OK, they kept their promise and I got my MBP at around 9 pm... I booted it up for the first time, and it was perfect until.... I found out that it was affected by yellowing problem (Samsung screen, matte).... I quite disappointed with that so I wrapped it back to its original packaging and call the Apple help desk the nex morning... This rep guy told me to bring it to nearby Apple service center, which I did... I brought my MBP over and left it there, they cannot replace it directly since it was not "functional defect".. But they acknowledged the yellowing issue, nevertheless (thanks to the images those with white boxes which I found in Macrumors forum)... A few days later, they called me back and told me that I need to call Apple help desk again to get the replacement.. Ouh, they also offered to repair, but I didn't want to since it was still a brand new computer...

I called Apple helpdesk, talked to the manager, and she promised me that they would replace a new one for me... I asked her what if I got the same defective unit again, and she assured me that it wouldn't happen, and if it does, she will replace with a new one again... "Strangely" she told me that she never heard about this yellowing problem before, but yeah, I just let her go (since I would get the replacement)..

I waited for about 5 working days before the new one came... They took the empty boxes from the earlier unit from me and give me the new one with iLife '08 preinstalled... I tested it out, and the screen is perfect... HOWEVER... There was another defect.. It affected the bottom left and right corner of the trackpad... It seemed that the track pad slightly "detached" and lifted up which needed to be pressed down from time to time (and it always came back up)... I called Apple helpdesk again and they offered me replacement again!!!! Since the yellowish problem has not been totally fixed yet, I didn't want to take any chances so I didn't take their offer...

For the first few days, I just tried to ignore it and live with it. But as weeks goes by, the detachment became worse and worse... I just afraid that it would lift above the clicking button and scratch the screen.... So I went to another Apple service center down town to have them look at it... They told me it's a defect and will change the whole top cover for me... YEAH!!! You know, I notice a slight cosmetic defect just below the track pad... A fine dark line which I don't know how it appeared there....

I had to wait for another 3 working days, and after I collected it back... IT IS JUST PERFECT... They really changed to whole top cover... It's like a brand new again... I love this laptop so much... I just hope most of new Apple user also get this kind of service as well... Yeah, nothing is perfect right, but I'm no longer complaining now... This laptop just rocks...!!!!

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
wait, how did you manage to get same day delivery on a MBP? where did you live, and how much did you pay that person? How is that possible??? :confused:

Anyways, i have gotten 2 yellow mbps so far. still holding out for a good one. maybe i the next replacement.

however, i was told this time that i would CERTAINLY get another yellow MBP because that's how they are supposed to be. the guy didn't want to give me a replacement. i think he was just a jerk / having a really bad day...

hope all goes well with the thing.

yudilks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
wait, how did you manage to get same day delivery on a MBP? where did you live, and how much did you pay that person? How is that possible??? :confused:

Anyways, i have gotten 2 yellow mbps so far. still holding out for a good one. maybe i the next replacement.

however, i was told this time that i would CERTAINLY get another yellow MBP because that's how they are supposed to be. the guy didn't want to give me a replacement. i think he was just a jerk / having a really bad day...

hope all goes well with the thing.

I live in Singapore, and in fact I got this with my ADC student discount... Once in a lifetime, just before I graduate early next year... So answering your question, I actually paid 20% lesser...

And don't worry, there are good MBP out there... I just hope that you'll get the good one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.