Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
$29 OEM screen replacement is enough to justify the cost of AppleCare+.
That for a battery replacement that going to expired at the end of this year! Screen replacement is going be 19X that amount for the Max!
[doublepost=1538399705][/doublepost]
Not having apple care plus on an iphone is like driving a Ferrari uninsured. If you can afford a Ferrari you can afford the insurance (OR you can probably afford to pay the $300,000 to replace it anyway sooooo) typically money savvy people are both insured and have decent quality stuff.

If you can afford a brand new Ferrari, you probably have a CPA on your staff too. He will decide on your behalf.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Under warranty? It’s pretty obvious that your friend caused damage that is not a warranty situation.. AppleCare+ sounds like a great idea for accident prone individuals like your friend
actually no. It was a chip in the corner and they said because there is damage to the back AT ALL, they cannot just swap it out otherwise they would have. complete joke.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
If it was just the front screen I would maybe at least consider it but now that these phones have glass backs it’s ridiculous to me.
$99 for any other accidental damage under AppleCare+. Still a good deal at the end of the day.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
That isn't too bad. I am getting the XS Plus without AC. I bought AC once for the iP6 and never used it.
Depends on how much of a risk-taker you are. $329 (plus tax) is a hefty price tag. AC+ and one screen replacement would run $100 less than that alone. Then you'd still have one accident coverage left. You just never know what's going to happen, and although you may have never broken a screen before, there's always a first time for everything.

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I remember dropping and breaking my piano black iPhone 7 256gb. I went into the apple store, who offered a new replacement at a discounted price, and my broken phone as a trade in (I think it was around £300) or maybe it was a refurb?

Edit. I didn’t have apple care either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Five_Oh

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
High margin on AC+ isn't surprising. I'm sure car insurance companies have high margins as well because it's called insurance for a reason. There if you need it, there if you don't. I'm willing to pay for the piece of mind, but I can certainly understand where others aren't.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I remember dropping and breaking my piano black iPhone 7 256gb. I went into the apple store, who offered a new replacement at a discounted price, and my broken phone as a trade in (I think it was around £300) or maybe it was a refurb?

Edit. I didn’t have apple care either.

Many people don't know that Apple will sell a refurb at cost if you trade in a broken beyond repair phone.

Reactions: littlemidge

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Many people don't know that Apple will sell a refurb at cost if you trade in a broken beyond repair phone.
I didn’t either. It was a brilliant service tbh. A 256gb pretty much brand new phone for £300 seemed too good to be true. I was over the moon.

I originally missed my pocket hence why I broke the first phone. (My Xs is staying in a case this time round)

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
By the time you pay insurance for EVERYTHING you purchase (extended warranties, etc), you have more than paid for the occasional mishap of something minor (phone breaking).

I almost always skip the warranty. It sucks to replace something out of pocket. But it sucks even more (to me) to throw away hundreds or thousands a year in unused warranties. With all the money I've saved not buying warranties over the years, I could easily replace any broken item (like my iPhone 5) and still come out way ahead.

Car insurance is a necessity. Health insurance is just smart. Homeowners / Renters insurance is wise. Beyond that, it has to be something special for me to get the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.