Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I dunno, I loved my Air because I could just carry it in a sleeve. I know a lot of people who use a laptop around the house or office, or walk down the block for a meeting at Starbucks. Sure, it's just as easy to throw a 13" MBP in a bag, but when it's the only thing you're carrying it can be nice.

Is a MBP going to break my arm carrying it? Certainly not, it's just a matter of convenience, and I loved the Air for it. Again, it's a niche product and people who want an Air buy an Air.

And people do buy the Air because it looks slick. There's no more reason to ridicule them for it than the people who bought an iPhone. Who doesn't want to have a sweet-ass piece of technology?

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
As far as I see it, and I mean no offense by it, the MBA is only targeted towards scrawny, weak people.

How did this thread turn into an episode of "Hanz and Franz"?

hans_franz.jpg

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
This is a really foolish debate.

I have an old school MacBook Pro 15" and the new 17". But I also have a Rev A MacBook Air. And I love them all!

Sure, the Air has limitations and drawbacks. The same can be said about my 17" too (its size can be annoying sometimes).

The Air's limitations are pretty obvious going into using one, though it is a very useful computer.

The Air holds my personal record of any Mac I have owned for the longest uptime of 178 days without a reboot. Even through those 178 days I threw a lot more at it than most people would expect it could take for such a diminutive computer.

Everyone lusts over it just like they lust over the other Mac notebooks.

So I don't know why everyone gets in a tizzy about this...use the tools that work for you and be happy!

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
I dunno, I loved my Air because I could just carry it in a sleeve. I know a lot of people who use a laptop around the house or office, or walk down the block for a meeting at Starbucks. Sure, it's just as easy to throw a 13" MBP in a bag, but when it's the only thing you're carrying it can be nice.

Is a MBP going to break my arm carrying it? Certainly not, it's just a matter of convenience, and I loved the Air for it. Again, it's a niche product and people who want an Air buy an Air.

And people do buy the Air because it looks slick. There's no more reason to ridicule them for it than the people who bought an iPhone. Who doesn't want to have a sweet-ass piece of technology?

Because many still don't get it-

I think in essence, people want the MacBook amenities in MBA weight factor.

They really want the reincarnation of the 12" G4 PowerBook.

Apple could possibly lose the weight (another .5 my guess) by ditching the glass screen. But that would eat into MBA sales.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
How did this thread turn into an episode of "Hanz and Franz"?

hans_franz.jpg

We're gonna Pump YOU Up!

LOL

The MBA camp is pretty evenly divided by two camps, the haters who no matter what argument you give will come back with screen/spec's/heat issues, and the owners who love their MBA's.

I have to say, I have a the Rev. A and haven't had a single issue with it in all this time (since they first came out). It does what I need it to do, I carry it a long way everyday (Long Island to NYC). Up and Down subway stairs, crowded streets/restaurants, etc. and don't even notice it's there sometimes. Every once in a while, I check to see if it's still there.

That never happened with any other laptop I've used.

I try and stay out of these arguments, because no matter what you say, the Haters just have a need to jump in and give you their opinion. "It's not as good as my 27 Thz Cray Supercomputer"... It's not supposed to be, but they'll argue on... I swear, I'll never understand why they troll the MBA forum and offer up their opinions. When you finally corner them and beat them down, you get the FINAL argument... "It's just cause you have money and want to look good in front of your friends"... Uh, yeah, that's it...

In short, don't feed the Trolls! LOL

If your moving on, we understand, either you got a bad one (which really sucks), or it wasn't the machine for you... Pretty simple. Those who have moved on still drop in to see if the machine has improved... When that revision hit's that finally corrects all the BS, they'll all be back :)

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Wow.....
So let me get this straight...you're arguing because someone else chooses to like a different computer to you?!
Some people I just don't understand.
Why don't we just all pick a computer we like, use it, be happy, maybe tell someone else you have it and you like it, and GET OVER THE ARGUING!!!
That's all I had to say about that.

I don't have a MacBook Air so have nothing to say there, and I have a MacBook Pro which at the moment doesn't get moved around a whole lot, so nothing to say about portability.

I think the MBA is a really nice looking compact laptop and I'm actually thinking of getting one next year depending on what happens with school.
MBP on the other hand is perfect for me at the moment - screen is great, nice and fast, does what I need it to.

I think everybody should just pick and be happy.

Oh wait...was I meant to be arguing?:D

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
I try and stay out of these arguments, because no matter what you say, the Haters just have a need to jump in and give you their opinion. "It's not as good as my 27 Thz Cray Supercomputer"... It's not supposed to be, but they'll argue on... I swear, I'll never understand why they troll the MBA forum and offer up their opinions. When you finally corner them and beat them down, you get the FINAL argument... "It's just cause you have money and want to look good in front of your friends"... Uh, yeah, that's it...

I agree completely. But just for the sake of argument, what's the big deal if someone gets/likes their MBA because they think it makes them look good in front of their friends? People use lots of things to look good, like: cars, houses, clothes, degrees, trophy wives/husbands, boats, physique (maybe some of the haters on this thread), hair, etc. etc.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Most of the people who have and love their Air are people who went in with their eyes open. They know their computing needs and their budget and got what they expected with the Air.

Then there are those who wanted the Air to be a MBP/MP. No matter how hard they tried, however, it just doesn't work. Even the SSD model can't make up for lack of RAM or CPU speed in some tasks (also, see point 1).

However, that's not to say that it doesn't improve the overall responsiveness of the system (if that's what you're going for), but it's not going to help a whole lot for things like Logic or FCS or huge Photoshop jobs. Then again, if you need 4/8 cores and 8+ GB RAM, but still choose the Air as a main machine, you're an idiot.

I also find it funny that this wasn't even the case here, about actual performance of the machine. The OP knew what he was getting in to, and the Air fit his needs. It was really an issue with quality (control). Funny how the thread devolved into MBP vs MBA (both of which have their issues).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.