Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No rounded corners, no freezes, really sharp UI feeling.. IMO the best update and it's never coming back :(
You've certainly missed a lot of hate for iOS 9, especially in the early days, but even beyond that.

burb15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
You've certainly missed a lot of hate for iOS 9, especially in the early days, but even beyond that.
I didn't even have issues with the beta, it was definitely the most stable on I've ever had installed

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I didn't even have issues with the beta, it was definitely the most stable on I've ever had installed
It's always interesting the range of experiences that people can have.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I miss iOS4 before they added bloatware like Game Center and Books. Had my iPhone 4 on 4.0 for three years and loved it.

To me, iOS6 on iPhone 5 was the last great firmware. My 4 was a little glitchy on iOS6 though. Too bad the oldest iPhone I could use today, 5s, already came with iOS7.

Watch videos between older iOS and iPhones on YouTube. The iPhone 5 with iOS6 was generally faster than the one on iOS9. Terrible UI design scheme for four plus years now.

burb15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
I miss iOS 9 for the music app alone. I still do not like the new music app, I figured I'd get used to it after awhile, but nah. The album artwork is just too big, I really want to see more music and be able to scroll faster. :(((
The new Music app is terrible. I think Apple has never been putting so much weight on form compared to the weight they put on function

Reactions: z970 and brian3uk

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I miss iOS4 before they added bloatware like Game Center and Books. Had my iPhone 4 on 4.0 for three years and loved it.

To me, iOS6 on iPhone 5 was the last great firmware. My 4 was a little glitchy on iOS6 though. Too bad the oldest iPhone I could use today, 5s, already came with iOS7.

Watch videos between older iOS and iPhones on YouTube. The iPhone 5 with iOS6 was generally faster than the one on iOS9. Terrible UI design scheme for four plus years now.
True. iOS 7 and beyond have brought a fair bit of instability. At least regarding updates. For example, my previous iPhone 5s that had iOS 7 originally worked wonderfully, but my previous iPad 4 updated to 7 was a lagfest. iOS 6 on iPad 4 was so fast.
Anyway, I left my 9.7 Pro on iOS 9 and it's tremendously fast. I don't know if iPad 4 iOS 6 fast - don't think so - but not entirely sure if the difference is too big.
A fair number of iPod Touches 5g updated to 9 (not mine, I still have it in iOS 6. It's the only device I have left on it so I like it too much.) worked terribly compared to iOS 6, I compared them directly.
As far as I've read here, there are a great deal of problems with iOS 11. I don't recall having this kind of issues back on <iOS 6. It just worked. Now, not so sure.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I just upgraded from an iOS 6 iPhone 5 to a new iPhone SE with 9.3.3. The SE runs quick and smooth on iOS 9. So far, not too bad. But I am particularly annoyed with the music app. I hate that Apple has crammed all my music into two tabs even when you disable all the Apple Music stuff.
In iOS 6, you can customize the entire footer tab with more options to spare on another window for genre, composers, genius etc.
In iOS 6, my footer tab was, songs, artists, albums and playlists and the more tab, plus I had cover flow in landscape mode.
In iOS 9 my footer tabs are, My Music and Playlists - that is it. The third tab for radio cannot be disabled, which I think is unfortunate.
It is too bad things are getting worse from what I am reading above in 11
I don't know what has happened to the Music app development team at Apple, but there needs to be a serious shakeup.

Reactions: Newton’s Apple

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
I just upgraded from an iOS 6 iPhone 5 to a new iPhone SE with 9.3.3. The SE runs quick and smooth on iOS 9. So far, not too bad. But I am particularly annoyed with the music app. I hate that Apple has crammed all my music into two tabs even when you disable all the Apple Music stuff.
In iOS 6, you can customize the entire footer tab with more options to spare on another window for genre, composers, genius etc.
In iOS 6, my footer tab was, songs, artists, albums and playlists and the more tab, plus I had cover flow in landscape mode.
In iOS 9 my footer tabs are, My Music and Playlists - that is it. The third tab for radio cannot be disabled, which I think is unfortunate.
It is too bad things are getting worse from what I am reading above in 11
I don't know what has happened to the Music app development team at Apple, but there needs to be a serious shakeup.

I hear ya about the Apple Music changes but iOS 9 music app is a dream compared to 10-11. Enjoy it :)

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
The music app is the sole reason why my 6s will stay on iOS 9.3.5. I love the color overlay, the size of the artwork, the easy controls and great fonts (I don't like childlike large words like LIBRARY) lol

I have a huge iTunes library with mostly imported artwork I created and everything works perfectly with iOS 9.3.5 and I love it. Better still I'm not affected by the battery drain Apple applied secretly without disclosure. I got my 6s brand new still on original battery and Coconut Battery shows my battery health is 76%.

I'll most likely keep this phone and change out the battery, my only concern is whether Apple will change out the battery with the phone on iOS 9.3.5.

Reactions: janeauburn

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
The music app is the sole reason why my 6s will stay on iOS 9.3.5. I love the color overlay, the size of the artwork, the easy controls and great fonts (I don't like childlike large words like LIBRARY) lol

I have a huge iTunes library with mostly imported artwork I created and everything works perfectly with iOS 9.3.5 and I love it. Better still I'm not affected by the battery drain Apple applied secretly without disclosure. I got my 6s brand new still on original battery and Coconut Battery shows my battery health is 76%.

I'll most likely keep this phone and change out the battery, my only concern is whether Apple will change out the battery with the phone on iOS 9.3.5.
LoL Coconut Battery says my battery health is at 93%! I love my iPhone 6s Plus on iOS 9.3.3 with Original battery. Never update it my friend. The 6s on iOS 9 was the last good iPhone/iOS. They will never take my headphone jack or home button!

Reactions: MrGuder

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yeah I also feel iOS peaked at 9 (of versions so far released) 10 wasn’t too bad but 11 has brought a lot of nonsense.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
...Meanwhile, the design language now has been used for 5 years...

It's not even pretty.
True it’s getting a bit long in the tooth, I think the slight modification iOS 10 and 11 have brought have kept it feeling just up to date enough but something new would certainly be welcome.

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
...Meanwhile, the design language now has been used for 5 years...

It's not even pretty.
I switched from a Galaxy Note 4 on LitKat 4.4.4 to an iPhone 6s Plus with iOS 9. iOS 9 was a big upgrade when compared to KitKat. Please see where I'm coming from.

burb15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
The problem with not updating are the security features. Many apps still work on iOS 9 but it feels unsafe to browse the web with

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The problem with not updating are the security features. Many apps still work on iOS 9 but it feels unsafe to browse the web with

iOS 9 browsing is not unsafe, by any means.

That's just being paranoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.