Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dexapini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
Lately, I thought about Apple, about direction they are going. After conference, where showed newest devices, I came to the conclusion, that Apple becoming the same company before Jobs came back in 97'. Making a lot of devices, hoping they will profit from it. There's already few versions of every device, like AW, AW SE, AW Ultra, the same with iPhones and other stuff. And also, few days ago, I fired up my old Mac with Mojave inside, and wanted to download updates of Keynote and Pages and it said, that I use too old version of a system. I should have at least 11.1, so this shows how greedy Apple under Cooks managing became.
I know it's a little bit of a rant, but probably some of you understands me. I'm an Apple enthusiast, and I get, that technology must go foward, but it's obvious, that they want you to buy new computer. It's just sad.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I don’t think you’re ranting at all. I, too miss the old Apple.
I started buying Apple in 1987 and never looked back.
Stuck with them through the bad times, too many choices, poor engineering, early adopter of ptoducts that ultimately didn’t last long.
Then, Steve Jobs triumphant return to put Apple back on track.
When he passed and Tim Cook was put in place I was happy with the choice of successor, but as the years have gone by, TC has changed so much it’s like he’s a completely different person.
As you pointed out, money, not innovation is their new goal.
Sad to see Apple struggle.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It is easy to see Apple is making far too many versions of their products rather than being laser focused on making a few the best they can be. They are heavily leaning into offering lots of options for customers but the selection looks alot like a menu from an unfocused restaurant.

459C9259-CFE8-4DEA-9912-B4AD911965AD.jpeg

And too many options is confusing for consumers. Spent some time in my local Apple store this week and customers were asking alot of questions and were conflicted on what model to pick, while in the past they knew exactly what they wanted before entering. And the sales team sounded alot like your regular box store employee, encouraging higher value items with bigger storage.

While its not hurting Apple in the short to medium term (as they make more money than most countries) they are very sloppy with software which require many revisions to get to a balanced state. Then there are all the years of hardware issues that Apple would rather ignore until a class action is raised against them. "You must of dropped it" or "it must of got wet" being the defaults.

Last edited:

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
My brother uses an iPhone 6S and is making similar rants about the inability to update his iOS software. Name any company that continues to provide current software for hardware that is 7 years old (Sept 2015).

Re the OP: You did not tell us how old your computer is. But Mojave came out in 2018, Catalina followed in 2019. And according to the list below, Big Sur is compatible with some computers going back to 2013. So, it seems that you believe Apple is in the wrong for not providing free software for a computer that is, perhaps, over 9 years old.

Reactions: chikorita157

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
It is easy to see Apple is making far too many versions of their products rather than being laser focused on making a few the best they can be. They are heavily leaning into offering lots of options for customers but the selection looks alot like a menu from an unfocused restaurant.

View attachment 2080936

And too many options is confusing for consumers. Spent some time in my local Apple store this week and customers were asking alot of questions and were conflicted on what model to pick, while in the past they knew exactly what they wanted before entering. And the sales team sounded alot like your regular box store employee, encouraging higher value items with bigger storage.

While its not hurting Apple in the short to medium term (as they make more money than most countries) they are very sloppy with software which require many revisions to get to a balanced state. Then there are all the years of hardware issues that Apple would rather ignore until a class action is raised against them. "You must of dropped it" or "it must of get wet" being the defaults.
Agree about SKUs. But then again, lots of people do not need nor want to invest in current hardware. And sadly, Apple Stores are nothing more than a retail outlet. I remember when the people at the Genius Bar were actually paid to know things.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Lately, I thought about Apple, about direction they are going. After conference, where showed newest devices, I came to the conclusion, that Apple becoming the same company before Jobs came back in 97'. Making a lot of devices, hoping they will profit from it. There's already few versions of every device, like AW, AW SE, AW Ultra, the same with iPhones and other stuff. And also, few days ago, I fired up my old Mac with Mojave inside, and wanted to download updates of Keynote and Pages and it said, that I use too old version of a system. I should have at least 11.1, so this shows how greedy Apple under Cooks managing became.
I know it's a little bit of a rant, but probably some of you understands me. I'm an Apple enthusiast, and I get, that technology must go foward, but it's obvious, that they want you to buy new computer. It's just sad.
iPod, iPod Mini, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iPod U2, iPod Video, iPod Touch, three sizes of Powerbooks, two sizes of iBooks... Steve Jobs would never.

Last edited:

dexapini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
@PlayUltimate

Well, I haven't update my Macbook Pro late 2013, so I was using Mojave. I red that macOS 11 and 12 will affect on battery life and performance of my laptop (like probably every new OS on an old hardware), so I just wanted to stay on macOS 10. But I'm pissed, that this way they are forcing me to update. For years I was used to use Windows, so if I upgraded from 7 to 10 in 2015, it's still updated (7 years now), unlike macOS 10.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: chikorita157

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I miss the old apple out of nostalgia, but that’s about it. Theres only so much you can do with tech without repeating oneself and thats just due to the basic five senses.
Touch: iPads Watches. iPhones.
Hearing: HomePods AirPods
Sight: upcoming VR goggles
Smell: -
Taste: -
As far as greed, that’s kinda subjective. I have a 2008 iMac that STILL works (!) but obviously updates long since passed. But it still works. More than I can say than some comparable PCs I had used alongside it.
I think we’ve reached this point in tech we're much will plateau for the foreseeable future. Maybe some crazy “help me obi wan kenobi” type hologram may one day appear, but generally it’s candy bar phones and better versions of what’s already here from here on out.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
@PlayUltimate

Well, I haven't update my Macbook Pro late 2013, so I was using Mojave. I red that macOS 11 and 12 will affect on battery life and performance of my laptop (like probably every new OS on an old hardware), so I just wanted to stay on macOS 10. But I'm pissed, that this way they are forcing me to update. For years I was used to use Windows, so if I upgraded from 7 to 10 in 2015, it's still updated (7 years now), unlike macOS 10.
So instead of doing an iota of personal testing, you jumped to moaning the passing of Apple‘s Great period, when every app was supported for ten years?
I‘m running Big Sur on my 2013 air, which by definition has worse specs than your Mac.
Make a bootable backup of Mojave using the trial of Carbon Copy Cloner, then bite the bullet and try updating to Big Sur. If it’s awful, boot the backup and clone it back to the internal drive.

• Love
Reactions: kitKAC

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Second this. I think this all started from 1-year release (of iOS & Mac) - they focus on growth rather than stability and quality.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Apple's not the only developer that requires a recent macOS version to run the latest release of its software. Turbotax comes to mind. You can use Pages and Keynote to do just about anything you need those apps to do in Mojave. You couldn't use Turbotax software in Mojave to do your taxes this year, though.

Turbotax is the only software that's really forced me to upgrade macOS.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
What I miss about old apple is rock solid software. No matter what you did with it, how you messed with it, what utility apps and customizations you installed it was stable and predictable. Now, do anything your average 13 year old kid or a soccer mom wouldn’t do with their laptop and everything crashes, freezes or glitches.

dexapini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
Did you see this? @dexapini
Sure. I think @darngooddesign gave wrong example. Nano was the Mini successor, iPod Video is another name for iPod (classic), basically becouse from that moment you could play video on it; U2 - it's just special edition, happened once of a time. Touch - successor of Classic, where you could do more than listen to music and watch videos (now on the much bigger screen). Every iPod was supposed to play different roles, like shuffle is good for fittness, nano was small and had the latest piece of technology, so that model was to show the world Apple at its best. Classic and later Touch - to do more things than listening to music.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Sure. I think @darngooddesign gave wrong example. Nano was the Mini successor, iPod Video is another name for iPod (classic), basically becouse from that moment you could play video on it; U2 - it's just special edition, happened once of a time. Touch - successor of Classic, where you could do more than listen to music and watch videos (now on the much bigger screen). Every iPod was supposed to play different roles, like shuffle is good for fittness, nano was small and had the latest piece of technology, so that model was to show the world Apple at its best. Classic and later Touch - to do more things than listening to music.
There were also many MacBook models under Steve's tenure.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I
The iPod Nano which replaced the Mini, iPod Shuffle, and iPod Classic were all sold simultaneously as distinct types of iPods, like there are different iPhones, for around ten years. The iPod touch and iPod Classic were sold together for three of four years. The iPod U2 didn't happen once, there were four version of it over a two or three year period.

Then they had two or three three sizes of Powerbooks and MacBook pros (two sizes of iPhone Pros) and two sizes of iBooks (two sizes of iPhone 14s). All of which you could get with different storage sizes.

One big difference is that due to the rumor industry we don't get the big surprises we used to. Think about the reactions to dynamic island, now think about what the reactions would have been had it been leaked like the physical cut-outs themselves were.

TLDR - Nothing is happening now that didn't happen previously with SJ's Apple you (and me) fondly remember. Having several variations of the same form factor isn't new, which is why I used iPods as the example, but the current Apple does have more variations. SJ even kept older versions of iPhones around at a discount.

Last edited:

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
How nice that you made an account here, specifically or this "thought" :)

It's not apple that changed...it is you, you are getting older and that changes your perspective on many things.
Apple just goes with the flow of modern thinking and fabricating, to...yes, make money.

I think Apple is doing great, and not mass manufacturing many same devices at the same time, with very minor differences, that are difficult to tell apart, or release a new product every 2 months.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Even Pre-Jobs return Apple cared more. In those days they provided free tech support on products long out of warranty. I had an SE with an OS issue in 1995 and they helped me out no questions asked. Slowly over the years they have drifted from the spirit of the original company. Most people on this forum are too young to have experienced old Apple and have no idea why some of us can't stand modern day Apple and Cook. If you showed up after the retail stores opened in 2001, you just won't understand why so many Apple fans and not happy today. You had to be there. If your first Apple product was an iPhone, you will just never understand.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Does the App Store prompt users about updates to Apple apps on Macs that can't run the required version of macOS?

I got a notice to upgrade to the new version of Pages once, and was running a version of macOS that didn't support any newer versions. I haven't gotten anything like that since, but then most of my current systems are rather newer. *shrug*

Try running Windows 11 on a top of the line system from just 6 years ago. Ain't going to happen, natively, unless it's forced. People complained about a needless link between new versions of Windows that required newer hardware. Its hard to deny the possibility of a link between a new OS version and the push (yank?) to buy new hardware. It would be like buying a new car and finding out that you now had to buy a different type of gas, or drive on different roads, or listen to different music. But there is also the possibility that a new car might actually run and perform better if you bought premium gas. One thing that is true is that as computers had more memory, more storage; programs got larger, programmers got sloppier, programs started deliberately targeting newer technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.