Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olipus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Hello guys

I hope you’re doing good

I’ll break down my problem hoping to find someone to help me ..

I have an Iphone se ( 1st gen ) ios 10.3.1 , 59/64gb of capacity , lately I received a message from Whatsapp that in 14 days I’ll no longer have access to my Whatsapp due to outaded version and they invite me to upload but I don’t find the update in app store , so , I bought 50 Icloud , because I have 44000 photos and 9gb media of whatsap , I started back uping photos ( but it will take days )

I recently bought an Iphone 12 pro 128 gb , but I still want my whatsapp in my Se

My question 1st is : If I back up whatsapp only without Photos , is there any chance that I’ll loose my photos when I update my Ios ?

2nd question : Is there any other possibilities to my problem ?!

And Thank you so so much

pianostar9

macrumors regular
ios 10.3.1
Unfortunately, Apple revealed in June that apps using its newest Xcode must only support iOS 11+, which had the effect of declaring your iOS legacy.

If I back up whatsapp only without Photos , is there any chance that I’ll loose my photos when I update my Ios ?
There’s a chance you’ll win the lottery, but it’s pretty unlikely to happen! In practice, Apple expects people to update often and wouldn’t intentionally permit you to install an update that causes you to lose your data.

Is there any other possibilities to my problem ?!
You could visit Reddit’s r/LegacyJailbreak community, but there doesn’t appear to be plans to try to create a Whatsapp client supporting iOS 10. You could also use a different messaging app (even just iMessage) but it might be difficult to get your contacts to switch.

Olipus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Thank you for your answer ( I dont know how to quote )

About your second part , the reason why I’m skeptical is because I have ios 10 and the update is ios 15 and I fear that it’ll be some glitch or problem during the Update , that’s why I want a practical solution .. :( thank you anyway

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Usually when you buy a new iphone the migration assistant will help you migrate literally everything from your old phone just by pointing the new one at the old one. I'm not 100% sure if it works for photos stored in WhatsApp, nor on such an ancient OS.

Olipus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Usually when you buy a new iphone the migration assistant will help you migrate literally everything from your old phone just by pointing the new one at the old one. I'm not 100% sure if it works for photos stored in WhatsApp, nor on such an ancient OS.
But that feature is not available in Ios 10.3.1 even If I put my new phone besides the old one

Olipus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Unfortunately, the most practical solution might be to move the data elsewhere, especially depending on the condition of the phone and battery.
Like to move it on an external hard drive ? You don’t mind giving me an exemple ?!

pianostar9

macrumors regular
Like to move it on an external hard drive ? You don’t mind giving me an exemple ?!
Well if you already had that, it might have been cheaper for you than buying iCloud ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don’t care what you do with your data, but I assumed they were important if you were concerned about losing them. If they are important to you, wouldn’t you want a second copy of them somewhere in case anything bad happened to a copy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.