Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayflower97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Hi all,

I really need your help, I think I have tried everything, read every solution and watched hundreds of videos but no solution works...
Is it just me or has this never happened before?
Please bear with me, this might be long but I wan't to explain everything I did.
I got a new ipad air 4th gen and connected it to my computer where I have itunes.
I had an ipad before so when I connected the new one, itunes asked if I wanted to restore it with the old ipads info and I said yes.
Well, I shouldn't have... because this (very) old ipad was signed in with an apple ID using an old hotmail adress (I have since then changed to a gmail address that I use for almost everything), that I haven't accessed in years and have no way of accesing today (to change that emails password, I can only get a security code sent to my phone and guess what? i changed phone numbers, duuh...).
So now the new ipad is signed with the hotmail apple ID and keeps asking me over and over to enter my password. I can still use my ipad for some things (internet, social media, netflix) but I get the please enter passcode" pop up every 10 minutes and i can't download an new apps or update old ones...
So I thought I would restore my ipad to factory setting (I allready have every picture, song and ebook saved so I can erase all data safely) but I am completely stuck :
- I can't do it through settings > general because before resetting everything, they ask for your apple ID password which I don't have
- I connected the ipad to itunes and clicked on reset but i get a message saying " Find my must be turned off before ipa is restored" but i can't turn it off because I don't have my apple ID password
- I put the ipad on reset mode (pressed volume buttons, pressed the off button until the computer logo and cable appear then plugged my ipad to the PC) and selected "reset" on itunes but then it just says that I need the latest Itunes version BUT i allready have the latest version (when I click on "accounts" I can't check for new downloads cause there aren't any)
- I tried using UltPhone iOS system repair but I have to pay for the full reset , is it the only solution?

PLEASE HELP ME!! :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bring it to apple, with proof of purchase.

you cannot circumvent the security controls apple uses to prevent thieves from stealing ipads and resetting them

Reactions: adrianlondon

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I agree with maflynn, bring it to Apple and see what they can do or return it.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
If you live in a country with an Apple Store, then the simplest solution is to take it there, and they will remove the activation lock as long as you have proof of purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.