Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
Hi guys,
The time came to buy a new laptop. I really want to get a powerbook 15" with Superdrive but what I do is requiring allot of PC power. I need it for work and what I do is (Actuate reporting, DB2 clients, Oracle clients, Sybase clients, IBM apps such as Lotus notes ect. and ClearCase and some other Rational stuff, also Java web stuff)
I know I can't have it all on Mac it's just won't support all this stuff written for MS.
Is there a way to install an app such as advertized on this forum Pc on Mac to fully support all the apps I need or I might run in to many issues in the future (such as drivers ect.). If I can't do it with Powebook I will have to get Thinkpad T42 or T43 that will run me pretty much the same amount of money. (Thinkpads are good actually very good if not the best but I really wanted to get Powerbook if I can do all I need in it)

TAIA

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
boneca said:
Hi guys,
The time came to buy a new laptop. I really want to get a powerbook 15" with Superdrive but what I do is requiring allot of PC power. I need it for work and what I do is (Actuate reporting, DB2 clients, Oracle clients, Sybase clients, IBM apps such as Lotus notes ect. and ClearCase and some other Rational stuff, also Java web stuff)
I know I can't have it all on Mac it's just won't support all this stuff written for MS.
Is there a way to install an app such as advertized on this forum Pc on Mac to fully support all the apps I need or I might run in to many issues in the future (such as drivers ect.). If I can't do it with Powebook I will have to get Thinkpad T42 or T43 that will run me pretty much the same amount of money. (Thinkpads are good actually very good if not the best but I really wanted to get Powerbook if I can do all I need in it)

TAIA

Reporting programs and database clients should run well under Virtual PC. Lotus Notes is Mac-native. Java is as native on the Mac as it is on Windows.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
I would go with the PowerBook, Virtual PC, and a good external HD so that you have plenty of space to work with....dont underestimate the PB it is an amazing machine

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
If the majority of programs you use are Windows programs, you would be better of purchasing a Windows laptop. Virtual PC is an irritatingly slow program in my opinion, especially on a G4.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
Thx guys for suggestions, I guess I'll get the IBM for time beeing. I'll keep dreaming about PB, well maybe in a future.... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.