Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Our home cordless phones are dying and we are buying new ones soon. They connect to a base that has a built-in answering machine. One of the messages on there has a message from my late grandmother, and my mom wants to keep the message. What app can I get where I can record a message (about one minute), email (or WiFi transfer) it to myself, bring it into iTunes, then record it on to a CD?

I have this one in mind: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284428991&mt=8

I'm not sure if I can record AIFF files to a CD through iTunes. I do see a "Format" button in the app, but I am not sure if you can change it.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
While it's possible to do this with the iPhone, why not just use your iMac and GarageBand? Use the "Podcast" setting and then you can even clean up the audio and such. Just move the answering machine next to your mac and hit record on the mac and play on the machine.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Our home cordless phones are dying and we are buying new ones soon. They connect to a base that has a built-in answering machine. One of the messages on there has a message from my late grandmother, and my mom wants to keep the message. What app can I get where I can record a message (about one minute), email (or WiFi transfer) it to myself, bring it into iTunes, then record it on to a CD?

I have this one in mind: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284428991&mt=8

I'm not sure if I can record AIFF files to a CD through iTunes. I do see a "Format" button in the app, but I am not sure if you can change it.

AIFF files are the exact music files that are on CDs. There's no conversion necessary.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Try Dictaphone by Polar Bear Farm [App Store]. If your wondering what it's capabilities are, you can find my review here.

The application allows you to record a voice message and then wirelessly sync the audio file to your Mac or PC.
It's very well designed, and at 0.59p it's not that taxing. :cool:

R-Fly

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
to get the best audio quality to record voicemails, is to use my imac (or any mac for that matter, and use Skype + RogueAmoeba's AudioHijacker.

Use skype to call the answering machine (to have the maxmimum volume without distortion) and use AudioHijacker to record all the audio output from Skype.

While it does cost money for skype, they give you some free calls (i don't remember the dollar amount, but it was good for at least 4-5 minutes of calling)

good luck

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
While it's possible to do this with the iPhone, why not just use your iMac and GarageBand? Use the "Podcast" setting and then you can even clean up the audio and such. Just move the answering machine next to your mac and hit record on the mac and play on the machine.

This suggestion should work for you, I would try this first. I think you will be able to get better audio quality this way then recording it into the phone first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.