Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomowindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
us
I'm aware that others have posted similar question, but for some reason I didn't see any practical answers. I hope that I could get some help here.

I am using a Western Digital 2TB with 2 partitions. One partition started to show some sign that it was going to fail. Sure enough I was not able to get access to the data. I ran Disk Utility, but it didn't help. I got a message that it could not complete the "First Aid" app.

I unplugged all cables including AC cord overnight, to see if the Mac would reset. It only worked for a short time. Now the second partition can't not be fixed using First Aid. Getting Exit Code 8.
I'm running El Capitan.

I am trying to copy all files to a new drive, but the drive causes the mac to freeze up. Whereas other EXD drive don't freeze up the Mac. BTW. I even reinstalled the OS (didn't delete the current OS). It didn't help.

Incidentally, I had a similar issue with a similar EXD and it crashed. Lost all data. Both drives were purchased at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.