Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Salt City Ute

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Salt Lake City, Utah
I am trying to decide between the Series 7 Stainless Steel and Aluminum Apple Watch. Any real life recommendations?

Is the sapphire crystal worth the extra cost?

Which case is more scratch resistant?

Thanks!

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
If money isn’t the main issue… I‘d go stainless anytime. Much more durable overall and SO much more joy wearing it (if you enjoy quality and craftsmanship)??
This is not about value for money and all that blabla (same features and all), to me it‘s about how it looks and feels.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Depends on how hard you are on watches. I am fairly hard on my watch. In my case the sapphire crystal was very important. The SS silver case shows scratches more than the darker finish. In the final analysis, I chose the SB Hermes, b/c the case and the crystal were more resistant. Also I love the Hermes Watch faces. Everyone’s priorities and budget are different. There is no right or wrong choice. YMMV.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
After collecting many ugly dings and scratches around the edges of the glass on my aluminium S0 and S4, I decided to go with a model with the sapphire this time around. As I wear my watch for sport, I settled on the Ti as its weight is about half way between the Al and SS – and IMHO looks the best too. I’ve had it for almost 4 months and haven’t put a mark on the crystal yet.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I got the S5 stainless with gold finish. Makes a high tech watch look like a fine watch. I wanted the finish to match my 12Pro gold. Compared it to the “gold” aluminum and there was no comparison. No scratches on case or crystal, and I wear it all the time.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
My mind always goes to resale/trade in value since these devices will eventually be slow or unsupported. Apple Watch has the worst trade in value of any Apple product so spending you money on anything more than a base model aluminum watch is literally throwing money down the drain. If you plan on keeping the watch until the wheels fall then see below:

Alum - lighter, body is less prone to fingerprints/scratches, screen is more susceptible to scratches so if you're someone who bumps into things best to avoid.

SS - heavier, body is more prone to fingerprints/scratches, screen is more scratch resistant but not true sapphire like "normal" watches so proceed with caution.

Titanium - middle ground between the other materials as far as weight with the SS attributes.

Remember these are tech watches so spending hundreds or thousands with their atrocious resell values and short lifespans is not the best financial decision.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
My mind always goes to resale/trade in value since these devices will eventually be slow or unsupported. Apple Watch has the worst trade in value of any Apple product so spending you money on anything more than a base model aluminum watch is literally throwing money down the drain. If you plan on keeping the watch until the wheels fall then see below:

Alum - lighter, body is less prone to fingerprints/scratches, screen is more susceptible to scratches so if you're someone who bumps into things best to avoid.

SS - heavier, body is more prone to fingerprints/scratches, screen is more scratch resistant but not true sapphire like "normal" watches so proceed with caution.

Titanium - middle ground between the other materials as far as weight with the SS attributes.

Remember these are tech watches so spending hundreds or thousands with their atrocious resell values and short lifespans is not the best financial decision.
The OP needs to decide what is most important. If a scratched Watch will significantly bother the OP, then the OP should get the stainless and not worry about trade in value. In some ways asking strangers to help the OP with such a basic decision is meaningless. Only the OP knows what is important and their finances.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
I've had both. The aluminum scratches very easily in my experience and it bothers me to look at the scratches. Stainless is a bit too heavy. For S7, I went with Titanium and it's the perfect combo for me.
If you scratch the silver it’s still silver. I’ve had both as well. I’m a little more careful with the stainless as it was more expensive. But the aluminum I was less worried about.

Reactions: StoneJack

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
If you scratch the silver it’s still silver. I’ve had both as well. I’m a little more careful with the stainless as it was more expensive. But the aluminum I was less worried about.
I should have been more clear, I'm talking about scratching the crystal. It's looking at a scratched crystal that bothers me. I actually don't mind minor marks on the case.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
I should have been more clear, I'm talking about scratching the crystal. It's looking at a scratched crystal that bothers me. I actually don't mind minor marks on the case.
Between the aluminum and the stainless I really haven’t noticed any scratching on either. My current aluminum is a series and it’s been solid.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Between the aluminum and the stainless I really haven’t noticed any scratching on either. My current aluminum is a series and it’s been solid.
Not even in sunlight? I put my watch through my everyday activities, including working outside etc. After time, those fine scratches always showed up, which is why I don't expect to go back to a non-sapphire crystal going forward.

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Titanium if you must… but to be honest, just get the aluminum… if it gets damaged just buy a new one. Stainless is too heavy.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I've never had an issue with my aluminum case scratching. I don't "baby" it and have bumped in to the wall a few times, but it really depends on how you use it and what situations you put yourself into. If you go with aluminum, you could always put a screen protector on for peace of mind. I got the LK ones...you can barely tell it's there.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
If money is not an issue, SS. Otherwise, get a screen protector (and case) for the aluminium model.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve always had aluminium watches with no issues. The display is durable enough for everyday use unless you work on a building site or like dragging it down brick walls. In 6 years of wearing the aluminium watches I’ve never scratched mine beyond a couple or tiny hairline scratches. These devices lose so much money in the first year, it’s not like you have to keep them pristine as some kind of investment. Up to you of course but the aluminium watches are great unless you’re one of these people that studies them under a microscope and makes a load of threads worrying about it.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I first bought the aluminum but found after one month it looked worse than my several year old series 3. I swapped it and went with titanium as I don't like the "shiny" look of the stainless. So between the two I'd suggest you go with the stainless.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I went with Aluminum & bought apple care for the first year, as I was worried about screen scratches. I've had a Series 2, 3 & 5 Aluminum models, worn every day for the last several years & never had an issue with the glass scratching. But it's hard to tell if you're the type who will scratch the glass or not from the beginning, which is why I think the Apple Care is worth it for the first time you buy an Apple Watch. Once I knew that I didn't have an issue with scratches, I haven't purchased Apple care again.

That being said, I did just buy a used Titanium Series 5 & it is a nice watch.

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
these responses are hilarious. the titanium watch is heavier than the stainless watch.

yes, titanium is a lighter metal, but in the case of the Apple Watch it's a heavier device.

I bought the titanium because I'm a big fan of the appearance of the metal, not because I want to save two grams on my wrist.

• Haha
Reactions: nayf72

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not even in sunlight? I put my watch through my everyday activities, including working outside etc. After time, those fine scratches always showed up, which is why I don't expect to go back to a non-sapphire crystal going forward.

I can’t see any on my Series 5 after 2 1/2 years worth of daily wear. I haven’t babied it and it’s in good condition. The battery is rubbish but the Watch still looks new. I haven’t put the watch under a microscope to see if there are any faint scratches, but then if I need to do that there either isn’t any to worry about, or I need professional help.

f0031ea03f20d32cf725dd24fae83585.jpg

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
You could probably forgive someone for thinking one is heavier than the other despite no human being having the ability to legitimately tell the difference between 5 to 10 grams lol.
Yeah you could forgive that of course, but not if the post is worded like this…

Reactions: geordiedan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.