Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
So, I'm looking at 2 different MacBook Pros.

1. 15" 2017 Macbook Pro - Core i7 - 2.9 GHz - SSD 512 GB - RAM 16GB
2. 15" 2018 Macbook Pro - Core i7 - 2.6 GHz - SSD 512 GB - RAM 16GB

I'm not too good with tech specs, but it appears the 2017 has a higher ghz than the 2017. Would the 1st choice be better value? It's cheaper than the 2nd choice, but seems like a better one. I'm going to be using this MacBook primarily for schoolwork, maybe some light games occasionally, and watching YouTube etc.

After diving in:
Number 1 has: Processor core: 4
Number 2 has: Processor core: 6

Number 1 has: Core i7-7820HQ for CPU
Number 2 has: Core i7-8850H for CPU

Number 1 has: AMD Radeon Pro 560 for GPU
Number 2 has: AMD Radeon Pro 560X

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How much are they? Without pricing, we won't be able to determine if either are a good value, or one being a better value.

A 6-core 2.6 is going to outperform a 4-core 2.9.

6-core 2.6 Single Core Geekbench: 1255; Multicore: 4887
4-core 2.9 Single Core Geekbench: 1129; Multicore: 3648

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
How much are they? Without pricing, we won't be able to determine if either are a good value, or one being a better value.

A 6-core 2.6 is going to outperform a 4-core 2.9.

6-core 2.6 Single Core Geekbench: 1255; Multicore: 4887
4-core 2.9 Single Core Geekbench: 1129; Multicore: 3648
I know of a co-worker that is willing to sell his for 2017 (#1) for $430, and the 2018 (#2) for around $485-500.

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
I know of a co-worker that is willing to sell his for 2017 (#1) for $430, and the 2018 (#2) for around $485-500.
However, he told me the 2017 looks slightly better externally than the 2018, but not that that matters too much. A few scratches won't hurt me at all.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Based on a quick eBay/Swappa search, $500 for Number 2 seems like a decent deal/price. Any information on battery condition?

Are you specifically looking for an Intel machine? You're going to get a lot better performance and longer lifespan from an M1 machine. Could probably find a new M1 MBA/MBP for a couple hundred more; used, possibly close to the same price.

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
Based on a quick eBay/Swappa search, $500 for Number 2 seems like a decent deal/price. Any information on battery condition?

Are you specifically looking for an Intel machine? You're going to get a lot better performance and longer lifespan from an M1 machine. Could probably find a new M1 MBA/MBP for a couple hundred more; used, possibly close to the same price.
I'm not sure on battery condition, they're slightly used so I would assume pretty good.
I'm not just looking for an intel machine either, just what gets the job done for an affordable and reasonable price.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm not sure on battery condition, they're slightly used so I would assume pretty good.
I'm not just looking for an intel machine either, just what gets the job done for an affordable and reasonable price.
If you need a machine quickly, I think Number 2 is the better value and the machine to go with. If you have a little time to look around, I would try to find an M1 within budget. Just my personal opinion/advice. Maybe some others will chime in here as well.

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
If you need a machine quickly, I think Number 2 is the better value and the machine to go with. If you have a little time to look around, I would try to find an M1 within budget. Just my personal opinion/advice. Maybe some others will chime in here as well.
Sounds good! If I am unable to procure an M1 model at a more favorable price point, I'll go ahead and purchase number 2. Additionally, I do have a small preference towards a touch bar feature, but if I recall correctly, the Macbook Air M1 doesn't have a touchbar (my brother has the Macbook Air M1). As long as I can run applications smoothly, that's truly all I care about.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
The 2018 will be a far better machine with the 6 core processor. Bear in mind that the keyboard also received further revisions in 2018 and is by all accounts the most reliable version of the infamously unreliable Butterfly Keyboard.

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
The 2018 will be a far better machine with the 6 core processor. Bear in mind that the keyboard also received further revisions in 2018 and is by all accounts, the most reliable version of the infamously unreliable Butterfly Keyboard.
Thank you for your help! I wasn't entirely sure how processors work, I assumed that the 2.9 ghz > 2.6 ghz, it's a good thing I came on here!

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
neither, the butterfly keyboard is built for failure. only a matter of time before one key fail and you stuck with a 700 bucks repair bill.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
Is the probability of the keyboard breaking high?
I think they have a very bad reputation and the earliest revisions were really unreliable. There were class actions with payouts and an extended replacement program offered by Apple because of them but my understanding was by 2018 they ended up getting them to be pretty reliable. So long as you are careful about keeping it clean and free of dust and crumbs and whatnot I think you may be ok.

If it were me, I would only go with the 2018 for that reason. Also, definitely check the keyboard out before you buy, make sure there are no missed keys or keys repeating. Being a used device, there's no way of knowing if the previous owner was diligient with taking care of it or they ate puff pastry and sanded drywall on top of it. :D

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
I think they have a very bad reputation and the earliest revisions were really unreliable. There were class actions with payouts and an extended replacement program offered by Apple because of them but my understanding was by 2018 they ended up getting them to be pretty reliable so long as you are careful about keeping it clean and free of dust and crumbs and whatnot.

If it were me, I would only go with the 2018 for that reason. Also, definitely check the keyboard out before you buy, make sure there are no missed keys or keys repeating.
I'll definitely grab it and test it - he told me that if I have any issues I can hand it back and he'll Cashapp me back any money spent so it shouldn't be a huge worry if something happens prior to purchase.

Reactions: 3166792

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
I was just looking on another site to see if there's a better deal. What's the difference between English and English US keyboard layout? Since I'm from the US, does the normal English layout differ?

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
For quick reference, English (US) keyboards have a return key that looks like this:
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 17.29.19.jpg

Other English keyboards (such as UK), look like this:

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 17.28.32.jpg

macbookm1airlover

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2021
I agree with what most others here have said--the 2018 is going to be the best bang for your buck.

The keyboard issues that others have mentioned depends on how it was treated before...if someone was typing very hard, there's a much higher rate of failure; however, a lot of times, the keyboard was random on when it failed.

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
I'm still looking at Macbooks on another site with English and English US keyboards, the English appear to be cheaper typically. Could I just get a keyboard cover and change the system keyboard to English US and be fine?
If I can find a cover with English US keys but the English return key of course.

TheOutspokenMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2023
I agree with what most others here have said--the 2018 is going to be the best bang for your buck.

The keyboard issues that others have mentioned depends on how it was treated before...if someone was typing very hard, there's a much higher rate of failure; however, a lot of times, the keyboard was random on when it failed.
Noted! I appreciate your input. I may have a habit of typing hard (not sure if I actually type hard or not) which can be concerning. I'm quite familiar with mechanical keyboards as that's what I have at my home setup that I use for school and work.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
For $500 I would really try to get an use M1. I think I have seen them new at Sams Club for $700 so surely you can get a used one for $500?

Just thinking an M1 is going to get software support for a lot longer than either the 2017 or 2018. So the price you pay per year of supported software might be lower for the M1.

I also can’t stand the butterfly keyboards on those 2017/2018 MacBooks though, so I might be biased.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
Is the probability of the keyboard breaking high?
Firstly get the newer one if you can stretch to it...

Secondly, I've got two 13" MBPs from this era, both have the butterfly keyboards and both have been used for the last number of years pretty continuously and NEITHER have suffer a keyboard malfunction... Now I haven't written a novel on either so its not excessive hard use but none the less I'd say it was average usage over the last 5 years and no issues whatsoever...

However I have had the battery go bad on one of them, it swelled but didn't leak. It was out of warranty but Apple agreed to pay for the battery if I paid for the labour as it was 4 years old at the time. Otherwise it can be a costly replacement...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.