Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I have a 2013 27 inch iMac and it has gotten so slow as I upgrade to new Mac OS operating systems. I need to buy a new desktop computer very soon but I’m getting tired waiting around for the new iMacs to be released. Now they say they may be released in November! It’s only been over 800 days since they refreshed the iMacs. So what does a guy do? I love the iMac but I’m so tired of waiting. I’m not a real high end computer user or gamer but I want a good and updated system for word processing, compiling spreadsheets, email, photography (storing and editing), internet, zoom, etc. However, I would like to learn Photoshop someday and learn video editing. I want a computer that will last for the next 3-5 years and not be outdated so soon and slow.

Which option should I go with…..

(1) Get a newly released top of the line Mac Mini?
(2) Get a Mac Studio?
(3) Or buy a current iMac that’s over 800 days old in the stores?

I don’t want a laptop or iPad.

Also, if I get a Mac Mini or Mac Studio what monitor would go well with it?

Reactions: rm5

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
My vote is for Mac mini as it will be enough for your needs and a pretty big upgrade over the ten year old iMac. Mac mini M2 Pro seems like great value for money. Mac Studio with M2 Max is a tempting machine but at a premium, I don't think you'll need it. Could spend that money on a nice monitor. Comparison here.

iMac has a screen that's just too small at 24" for my liking. It's also still on M1 with no Pro option. You could look for 27" 5K, hard to go back after seeing that sweet high pixel density. That being said a good 1440p monitor offers great value and does the job.

Reactions: Mac2004 and rm5

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
If you can live with a 24 inch screen, the current iMac is a safe, reliable and cost effective choice. It should be upgraded to a M2 CPU in a few months if you can wait a little longer.

If you want to treat yourself to awesome performance and flexibility, get the new M2 Studio Max. 32 GB RAM,
1 TB storage and all the ports you could ever use for about $2200. Of course you are then faced with the agony of selecting a monitor. The safe choice is the Studio Display, but your wallet may say "NO". Lots of discussion about alternative displays in the nearby Mac Accessories forum, but nothing there yet is screaming "buy me" !

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
If you are willing to wait another 4 months a iMac 24" M2 may be released.

Who knows, a replacement for your 2013 iMac 27" may be rleased as well.

Mac mini m2 + display may be the path for you.

Reactions: Mac2004

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're going for the Mini, I'd suggest the m2PRO Mini. Comes with 16gb RAM standard.
If budget is a constraint, the 512gb SSD is "good enough".
BUT... if you can spend $200 more... get the 1tb SSD (it's 2x as fast as the 512).

Or... if you want to splurge...
The Mac Studio.

If it was me, I'd go for the M2PRO Mini and a nice 27" 4k display...

jpohio

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
Another vote for the Mini, M2Pro, 1TB, 32GB along with probably the Studio Display. I have a 24" iMac that I really like and it is only coming up on 2 years old. That said, I wonder what the next iMac might be, 24" or 27", and when we might see it. I suspect a 24" M3 iMac is in our future with a 27" or larger iMac possible but who knows. If I was making this decision today it would be the M2Pro mini.

Good luck with your purchase.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I have a 2013 27 inch iMac and it has gotten so slow as I upgrade to new Mac OS operating systems. I need to buy a new desktop computer very soon but I’m getting tired waiting around for the new iMacs to be released. Now they say they may be released in November! It’s only been over 800 days since they refreshed the iMacs. So what does a guy do? I love the iMac but I’m so tired of waiting. I’m not a real high end computer user or gamer but I want a good and updated system for word processing, compiling spreadsheets, email, photography (storing and editing), internet, zoom, etc. However, I would like to learn Photoshop someday and learn video editing. I want a computer that will last for the next 3-5 years and not be outdated so soon and slow.

(2) Get a Mac Studio?

You can buy an external SSD and move your Mac OS to run from that external SSD while waiting for a newer model iMac.

OneSon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
If your usage really is "word processing, compiling spreadsheets, email, photography (storing and editing), internet, zoom, etc" then I would buy a 24" iMac with 16gb RAM. If you can wait for the M2 version then all the better but honestly I think you'd be fine with the M1 version. Your usage is almost identical to mine and I have that computer and it's absolutely perfect.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

(2) Get a Mac Studio?

similar thoughts, although my 27 inch imac is 2017, but i keep having issues with bluetooth and usb and since one of my main uses is plex to stream tv and stuff, this is getting annoying.

ive had 2 imacs, and always thought i was an imac guy, but this replacing all of it when it goes wrong puts me off plus im not downsizing to a 24 inch plus buying a couple of year behind technology.

i keep looking at the mini. might even get a mini and plug into my tv, and keep the imac for day to day stuff.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Honestly, the current M1 iMac is more than enough to meet your needs, even with photoshop and video editing in the future. I would get one with 16GB RAM and upgraded storage, and look around as they're often on sale now. That should easily last you 5 or so years.

If you really are concerned about future proofing for years and years ahead, like a decade again, a basic Mac Mini with an M2 chip, 16GB RAM, and upgraded storage along with any monitor would work.

Whatever you decide, you need to have 16GB RAM if you want it to last and upgraded storage. The storage speeds are not a big deal for everyday users, but having less than 512GB is ANNOYING. Don't do that to yourself.

As for a monitor, I am not a graphic design power user or anything like that, and resolution isn't a big deal to me as long as it's higher than 1080p. I do care a lot about framerate as it affects the smoothness of the UI and system in my opinion. Any IPS 144hz+ monitor from a good brand like LG, Dell, or Samsung at 1440p or higher should serve a normal consumer's needs.

kk123

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
I'd get the Mac mini (M2 Pro). Sure Mac Studio will last longer but M3 chip is rumored to be much more powerful.
24 iMac was never an option to me because it doesn't go with my other 27-inch monitors and 8GB ram gives me anxiety (16GB model exists but was never on sale).

But I ended up getting a refurbished 14-in Macbook M1 Pro, because macbook usually has a better resell value so I could just trade-in / resell when 27-in iMac comes out. In clamshell mode it's working just as fine as the mac mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.