Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akenney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
Hi!

I'm currently in the market for a new imac to use premiere for my video editing. I need help in figuring out what system is going to have the smoothest playback from my canon 5d mark 2 for full length movies. I want Premiere to run smoothly as well. I appreciate any help!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Will it be 1080p or 4k video?

If 4k, you'd probably want:
- 27" 5k iMac w/i7 inside
- iMac Pro
- 2018 Mini (possibly with e/GPU?)

Reactions: willmtaylor

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For 1080p, I think almost any modern Mac will get the job done.
I like the 2017 5k 27" iMac with the 3.5ghz CPU.
MAKE SURE that you get an internal SSD (and NOT a "fusion drive").
These have to be special-ordered through Apple's online ordering.

akenney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
For 1080p, I think almost any modern Mac will get the job done.
I like the 2017 5k 27" iMac with the 3.5ghz CPU.
MAKE SURE that you get an internal SSD (and NOT a "fusion drive").
These have to be special-ordered through Apple's online ordering.
thank you!

BeechFlyer

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
A 27" iMac with i7 processor makes a great editing machine for HD content.
I agree with Fishrrman that an internal SSD is much better than a traditional spinning or fusion drive.

One mistake I made when I bought my iMac is I maxed out the internal SSD size (2TB). Looking back that was much more than I needed, for I have an external RAID (drobo, with Tunderbolt 3) for mass storage which I use for media storage when editing. Apple's internal SSD is very fast, but also very expensive - and you can't move them to a new iMac if you buy a new computer later.

Mark Holmes

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
San Diego CA
When building a system make sure you budget for robust external drives for media, preferably RAID configured. I edit multicam 4k on a mid range 2017 imac with Synology RAID and am very happy. But I’m using FCPX. I tried Premiere with this configuration and didn’t get near the performance.

Reactions: BeechFlyer

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Heck, my 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini with the RAM maxed out to 16 GB edits 1080p in Final Cut Pro X pretty well! Though I do plan to replace the internal hard drive with a SSD next month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.