Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSkog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
I am having trouble connecting to a Linksys wireless router with my Airport Extreme card in my G5 iMac. The Airport card is getting a signal from the router, but I am not able to connect to webpages, connect to AIM, or anything like that. The wireless internet is working with my PC laptop and another PC in the house, but it is not working with my iMac. I was able to connect to this same router with an iBook (it had a regular Airport card rather than Airport Extreme) I used to have so I am not sure what the problem is. I have tried resetting the router and the cable modem, but nothing is working. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Dan

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Any chance you've set up the Linksys to do 802.11b only (or it's an 802.11b router) and the AE is set up to look only for 802.11g?

Or that you've set up the Linksys with a list of allowed MAC addresses and need to add in the new one?

DSkog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
It's an 802.11b router. Can Airport Extreme still work with 802.11b routers? Is there a setting somewhere I need to change to make it work? I didn't set the router up so I am not sure about the MAC addresses thing. How would I go about adding a new address? Sorry I don't know much at all about wireless router stuff.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
DSkog said:
It's an 802.11b router. I didn't set the router up so I am not sure about the MAC addresses thing.
If you didn't do anything specific, odds are that there isn't a restricted MAC list. If you browse to the Linksys (typically at http://192.168.1.1, typically no user name, password of "admin"), you should see in the Wireless settings something to the effect of MAC Filter. If it's there and if it's enabled and if "Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network" is selected, you'll need to edit the list to add your card's MAC address.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Also, you'll want to log onto the Linksys to get the SSID name (default: linksys) and channel being used by the router. Perhaps your card just can't see it because it's looking on the wrong channel.

DSkog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
jsw said:
If you didn't do anything specific, odds are that there isn't a restricted MAC list. If you browse to the Linksys (typically at http://192.168.1.1, typically no user name, password of "admin"), you should see in the Wireless settings something to the effect of MAC Filter. If it's there and if it's enabled and if "Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network" is selected, you'll need to edit the list to add your card's MAC address.

Where do I find my card's MAC address?

DSkog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Another strange thing about this is that after I reset the modem and router my computer was briefly able to connect to webpages, but then it stopped working right away.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
DSkog said:
Where do I find my card's MAC address?
I'm not at a Mac with a wireless card, but my guess is that you'd go to System Preferences->Network and "Show:" the Airport card, then go to the Ethernet tab on the resulting panel (should be tabs like "TCP/IP","PPoE", AppleTalk","Proxies", and "Ethernet", or some such - pick the "Ethernet" one).

Once there, the MAC address is the Ethernet ID and is of the form:

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
DSkog said:
Another strange thing about this is that after I reset the modem and router my computer was briefly able to connect to webpages, but then it stopped working right away.
Odd.

If you plug it into the network with a standard Ethernet cable, can it connect OK?

I'm guessing it's a router setup issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.