Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgirlmnl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2017
I'm just wondering why is it that Viber is recognised as a 'volume' and not as a normal app. How do I resolve this because it kind of slows my Macbook down. All the other apps/programs on my Macbook are running as normal and not as volumes. Please help.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm just wondering why is it that Viber is recognised as a 'volume' and not as a normal app. How do I resolve this because it kind of slows my Macbook down. All the other apps/programs on my Macbook are running as normal and not as volumes. Please help.

Running as a volume? As in you're running it straight off of a DMG or something?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you mean that the Viber app appears as a drive icon on your desktop?
That would indicate that it is a mounted disk image, and you need to finish the installation by dragging the app from that desktop folder to your Applications folder - or wherever you want to copy that app.

I just downloaded Viber to check on that, and the mounted folder shows you with an arrow to drag the app to your Applications folder. That will copy the app to your drive, and eliminate the need to mount that disk image folder.

Reactions: casperes1996

macgirlmnl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2017
Hallo Deltamac and casperes1996,

I clicked 'Show in Finder' and I dragged the icon over to the applications folder. Tried again, still mounts as volume.

Maybe I should uninstall it and try again...

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hallo Deltamac and casperes1996,

I clicked 'Show in Finder' and I dragged the icon over to the applications folder. Tried again, still mounts as volume.

Maybe I should uninstall it and try again...

No, no. You need to mount the volume, and from within the volume, move the application file inside the volume to your Applications folder. Not the DMG Volume file

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Double-click the folder on your desktop, named Viber.
The arrow not only shows you what to do, you can do it right there in that window.
Drag the Viber icon to the Applications icon in that same window.
Take the Viber folder on your Desktop, and drag it to your trash. It will eject and disappear.
Restart your Mac. The Viber app will still be in your Applications folder.

ah --- Sounds like you fixed it! Good to hear!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.