Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I need help with FinalCut Pro, how do I remove 20 seconds of a movie... the video only, keeping the sound, and replace the video.

In other words, lets say I have a clip of the Simpsons. I want to start the video and when Homer goes "D'oh" I want to hear him say it but I want to drop in an image or a video of George Jetson.

Thanks!

Last edited:

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
You require "HELP" ? Help us and tell us what version of FCP you are editing on?
Then again is that not a TV show you are asking help for?:rolleyes:

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I am not familiar with FCP X, but the first step is to unlink the video and audio. If its still in the same place as FCP 7, you can right click the track and click "unlink." Then, when you delete the portion of the video you want to delete, the audio track will stay in place. I don't know if the magnetic timeline in X will screw this up, though.

stueee123

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
yup thatll do it

hey, i use FCPX and can confirm all you have to do is right click the clip, click Detach Audio,and then use the range selector or blade tool to cut out what you dont want in the video part. or, use the range selector to select the part you dont want and drag the other clip right on top of the selected part and choose Replace

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
What i cant understand, a person needs help but he has no clue what version of FCP he is using. But he has a good command of what he would like to do and on top of that he advertises that iMovie is no good.
You know many people come on this forum and edit on FCP and iMovie which was the birth for Apple of introducing software editing.
Today iMovie 11 is the concept for us having FCP-X.
So can we dispense with the idea that it is rubbish.:apple:

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
select the video in the Project timeline (assuming its there) and go to menu:
Clip > Detach Audio
Then select a range by pressing the "r" keyboard key which invokes the Range Selection tool then drag your mouse over the video portion in the Primary Storyline.
Once you have what you want selected press the small delete key and not the big one.
The small deletes uses the Position tool or better known as the old school legacy delete from track.
The big delete key acts along with the new Magnetic Timeline.

have fun :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
It worked! Thanks all! (except daybreak)

Id listen to what he has to offer.
He is right that next time, be diligent and know what you have.
its hard to help people when we have no idea what they require.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.