Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.pab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
I have very little knowledge with the macs and their specs. I'm a musician and use garageband to record my projects. I upgraded from a 2015 macbook pro to the M1 when I received one as a gift for my birthday. But my problem is that my audio interfaces aren't USB-C. I have a USB-C hub but for some reason it doesn't provide power to my audio interface when connected to the M1 macbook pro. BUT when I connect the USB-C hub to a windows computer, it outputs power to my interface.
At first I thought it was the hub, but since I tested it on my other computers, it seems to be the macbook.
Do the M1 macs not output power to their USB-C Ports?
I've had this new mac for almost 3 weeks now and have never used it yet because I cannot use any of my instruments with it. Unfortunately.

any help will be appreciated!

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Does your hub have a usb-c port? It may be that the intent is to plug your power into the usb-c port on the hub, plug in the dongle to the computer, and the power going into the hub will power the laptop and accessories. I'm spitballing, have no direct affiliation with the M1. But I have shopped hubs in the past.

s.pab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Does your hub have a usb-c port? It may be that the intent is to plug your power into the usb-c port on the hub, plug in the dongle to the computer, and the power going into the hub will power the laptop and accessories. I'm spitballing, have no direct affiliation with the M1. But I have shopped hubs in the past.
No, It doesn't have a USB-C port to power it. But it does fine supplying power from my windows laptop but not the M1 for some reason.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
If you have a USB-C to the 'USB input of your audio interface'-cable, you could try to connect your Macbook to external power and connect the cable to your device, and see if it then delivers power.
But I would be cautious. Because the new MacBook Pro is built to use much less power than traditional computers. So there might be a 'lighter' power circuit inside. I would only do it with an iterface that doesn't use too much power.

I saw messages of hub users charging their M1 through the hub with both ports connected, that had their brand new M1 circuits broken.

Your MacBook is great, but I am afraid some other products have to be upgraded to use them with it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What interface do you have?
Does it have a port for a power supply or power block?

If it DOES, then use that to power the interface.
I would NOT depend on the MBP for USB power when running audio equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.