Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2022
How do i get legacy versions of apps, like I need Numbers version for spreadsheets to use on MOJAVE (i can't upgrade OS any higher on my iMac anymore)? Where would it be available to download???

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Do you have any newer Macs available? iWork needs to be "purchased" on your Apple ID. It's free but it needs to be purchased anyways. Once it is associated with your account. You should be able to go to the purchased tab in the Mac App Store. Then install the latest version compatible with your version of macOS.

Another option is to install a newer non-supported macOS on your iMac. There should be methods for doing this. Depending on your model. Create a new partition to install the newer version. Connect your Apple ID and purchase the various iWork apps. Then return to Mojave and install the apps from your purchased tab. Once installed. You can delete your partition with the newer macOS.

hrw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2022
thnx, i can't see how to purchase it? I just wanna stay on MOJAVE if possible.
How do i purchase it?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
thnx, i can't see how to purchase it? I just wanna stay on MOJAVE if possible.
How do i purchase it?
I already told you. You have to use a version of macOS compatible with the latest version. Then you can purchase it. Once it is associated with your account. Then you should be able to download an older version in Mojave.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Do you have any newer Macs available? iWork needs to be "purchased" on your Apple ID. It's free but it needs to be purchased anyways.

Maybe I'm not understanding you here? I don't use Numbers or any of the iWorks apps but they were all pre-installed on my 2014 Mini with Mojave and 2018 Mini with Catalina. Pretty sure that was also the case with other Macs going back to Mountain Lion at least.

So not sure why the OP doesn't already have it on his Mac. But just to be clear, Appleworks is something completely different. That's a really old Apple product that was discontinued long ago and the files are not compatible with Numbers. I used Appleworks exclusively for many years, but that's "ancient history" now. If you need to access those old files, LibreOffice (a free open source app) can do that.

hrw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2022
Maybe I'm not understanding you here? I don't use Numbers or any of the iWorks apps but they were all pre-installed on my 2014 Mini with Mojave and 2018 Mini with Catalina. Pretty sure that was also the case with other Macs going back to Mountain Lion at least.

So not sure why the OP doesn't already have it on his Mac. But just to be clear, Appleworks is something completely different. That's a really old Apple product that was discontinued long ago and the files are not compatible with Numbers. I used Appleworks exclusively for many years, but that's "ancient history" now. If you need to access those old files, LibreOffice (a free open source app) can do that.
Thank, yeah, i mean iWorks not Appleworks, my bad.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

I'm assuming the Op never associated those apps with his Apple ID and at some point a clean install was performed or the computer was purchased used without iWork installed.

hrw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2022
I already told you. You have to use a version of macOS compatible with the latest version. Then you can purchase it. Once it is associated with your account. Then you should be able to download an older version in Mojave.
Thanks, i understand now. Makes sense. Might have to use someone else's computer to purchase... all good thnxx

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I think a clean install would include Numbers. Like I said, it has been pre-installed on all my Macs for years now. IMO, the only reason it wouldn't be there is if somebody actually deleted it.

Perhaps an extreme solution, but you could re-install Mojave as described here and it should be included

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
You can go to the App Store and go to the "purchased apps" page. You will see a cloud icon for available apps that have been downloaded before but are not on you current Mac. If you click on that icon you will download the missing app.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thanks, i understand now. Makes sense. Might have to use someone else's computer to purchase... all good thnxx

You're welcome. Note another computer won't work if Pages, Numbers and Keynote are currently installed.

You can just create a new partition on your computer. Then install a newer macOS version. This only needs to be temporary. Even if it's an older iMac. You should be able to use the Dosdude1 Catalina Patcher to get to Catalina.

Once everything is associated with your Apple ID. You can restart into Mojave and verify you can install the various iWork apps. Then delete the Catalina or newer partition.

You could also do this to an external HDD/SSD.

In any of these instances you need to create a USB installer to boot off of and manually install a newer macOS to your selected partition or disk.

I think a clean install would include Numbers. Like I said, it has been pre-installed on all my Macs for years now. IMO, the only reason it wouldn't be there is if somebody actually deleted it.

Perhaps an extreme solution, but you could re-install Mojave as described here and it should be included

A clean install is macOS only and various base programs integrated with the OS, Utilities and some basics like Textedit and Preview. Numbers, Pages, Garageband, &c are not part of the installer and can only be downloaded from the App Store after a clean install or restored from a backup.

The issue is that the App Store makes you purchase free apps not associated with an Apple ID. Even ones which come with Macs. From what I can find, will only let you purchase if your Mac supports the current version. It's just one of those App Store oddities. Until the app is associated with your ID. You can't download the older version.

Reactions: Boyd01

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
How do i get legacy versions of apps, like I need Numbers version for spreadsheets to use on MOJAVE (i can't upgrade OS any higher on my iMac anymore)? Where would it be available to download???

Sometimes you can simply copy the app to a USB stick from Mac to Mac. I did that with Pages from Mac to Mac (because they ran 10.13 and those versions have disappeared) and it worked fine.

trimblet

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2017
If you have an Apple Store nearby, you might be able to login to the App Store from one of their computers, get the app, and then restart. This used to be possible, but I haven’t tried it in several years, so no guarantee it will still work.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Another workaround I came across is installing the iWork 09 trial and associating it with your ID. Then upgrade through the App Store. For the newer free versions. Not sure if that’s still viable.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I copied older versions of software such as Numbers from old Time Machine backups and picked the most recent one that would run on Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.