Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
So I installed the new big sur beta via OTA over an existing 10.15.6 beta. It took soooo long to download so I checked the automatic installation checkbox and let it sit overnight, so I can wake up with a freshly installed big sur beta.

I really don't know if my macbook has finished the update, I can remember seeing a installer like screen. Like when you install a macos for the first time, but it could have just been the after setup process you always see if you update your mac. I just closed the macbook and packed it in my bag.

Long story short, my macbook got stolen today. And I'm VERY concerned about what the new owner can see when they open the macbook for the first time. Because if the last state was the after installation setup, they just have to click their way through the after installation setup and boom they are logged in right?

Has anyone inatalled big sur via ota and can tell me what I saw in the morning? The installation window or the after installation setup window? It was plugged in, automatic updates was enabled, no standby mode or logging out.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Nope, it's offline. I clicked on remote wipe, but I don't think the thief is so stupid to bring it back online..

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Did you have a startup or sleep password on your account? I'm guessing here, but I think when they click through, it will show your account wide open. However, if:

• they let it sleep overnight or restart it, then they won't be able to login without your password (depending on your settings. My MPB is set to require password if it's been asleep more than 15 mins.)
  • they connect it to wifi/internet then your remote wipe will go through. (don't take my word for this)
If you have sensitive passwords in your email, now is a good time to change them.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
My macbook always logs me out/requests my password when I close the display

I'm pretty sure the thief has to reset my password. Which is very easy when booting up in recovery mode : (

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
My macbook always logs me out/requests my password when I close the display

I'm pretty sure the thief has to reset my password. Which is very easy when booting up in recovery mode : (
If it's some random crackhead they're unlikely to know how. Your macbook will get sold off to someone for twenty quid then at some point likely to be flogged off for spare parts. Sorry.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Mhhh lets say, its not stolen. Lets say some type of agency has taken a macbook away from me. I'm ****ed right? Can anyone who knows about the resetpassword command reset my password? Isn't there some type of T2 chip who could save my life?

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
So I installed the new big sur beta via OTA over an existing 10.15.6 beta. It took soooo long to download so I checked the automatic installation checkbox and let it sit overnight, so I can wake up with a freshly installed big sur beta.

I really don't know if my macbook has finished the update, I can remember seeing a installer like screen. Like when you install a macos for the first time, but it could have just been the after setup process you always see if you update your mac. I just closed the macbook and packed it in my bag.

Long story short, my macbook got stolen today. And I'm VERY concerned about what the new owner can see when they open the macbook for the first time. Because if the last state was the after installation setup, they just have to click their way through the after installation setup and boom they are logged in right?

Has anyone inatalled big sur via ota and can tell me what I saw in the morning? The installation window or the after installation setup window? It was plugged in, automatic updates was enabled, no standby mode or logging out.

When I updated my machine, I still had to login to my user account after it had finished updating.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Mhhh lets say, its not stolen. Lets say some type of agency has taken a macbook away from me. I'm ****ed right? Can anyone who knows about the resetpassword command reset my password? Isn't there some type of T2 chip who could save my life?

It depends on the agency. Remember when Apple would not unlock a cell phone for the San Bernardino County Sheriff or the FBI?? They paid an Israeli defense/security contractor to do it...If your laptop was seized by Mossad, you better watch out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.