Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I used to have a website written in html with some css which I wrote long time ago, I left my hosting expire as of the recent couple years crisis (had to save wherever possible), I would like to be back online just for the sake of it, my business is tourism related, I want to advert my services as a personal concierge/assistant, bookings, rentals, tours etc, not much of a deal but I have no skills and no patience to do that through trial and error and I am on the opinion that each should do what he/she is good at and earn for own skills so I am here to ask advise to find a developer who can put together a simple website which adapts to both mobile and fixed device browsers, elastic was the word back then...

Suggestions and offers are welcome, more details about the business in private

Grazie

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I used to have a website written in html with some css which I wrote long time ago, I left my hosting expire as of the recent couple years crisis (had to save wherever possible), I would like to be back online just for the sake of it, my business is tourism related, I want to advert my services as a personal concierge/assistant, bookings, rentals, tours etc, not much of a deal but I have no skills and no patience to do that through trial and error and I am on the opinion that each should do what he/she is good at and earn for own skills so I am here to ask advise to find a developer who can put together a simple website which adapts to both mobile and fixed device browsers, elastic was the word back then...

Grazie
You might be better off using a service like Squarespace to build and host your site. They give you tools to setup your site and will do the hosting. It will probably cost more than a static website but you won’t need to find and hire a developer and, if you are doing this for a business, the saved time and added polish may be worth the extra cost.

I don’t have direct experience with Squarespace but have heard good things about them. I imagine if you search for their name, you will also see the names of competitors offering similar services.

Reactions: lostPod

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
I would recommend Fiverr or Upwork. You can find very affordable solutions there and not have to continuously overpay SquareSpace. Just make a WordPress site by selecting a theme you like on ThemeForest then go to Fiverr and pay someone $50 to set it all up for you. You’re out $100 for the first year and less after that to just host it on a cheap hosting company. Good luck.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

Grazie
It’s been a couple of months. Curious about which direction you went. Did you find a solution that works for you?

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
It’s been a couple of months. Curious about which direction you went. Did you find a solution that works for you?
Sorry, nope, no solution yet as I was too busy with work to think about it, first thing first I am gonna buy a hosting plan and renew my domain to then evaluate the few proposals I got (and didn't reply yet because of the same above reason).
Grazie

Reactions: Tagbert

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I am going to buy the hosting space tomorrow, they have several options like Windows, Linux or WordPress, if I get it right with either Win or Linux I can anyways install WordPress if I wish so but that's no simple task, if I get the WordPress straight away I will be presented a control panel where I pick a theme and start from there by filling content, is this correct?

Is there a way to edit offline on a Mac by installing a server and some app to edit the pages? I have a NAS which I seem to understand supports WordPress, I might either use that to host the page(s) locally or on some of my old Macs running around.

Any hint, especially hosting wise, is very welcome!

Grazie e buona domenica

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
MAMP Pro runs on the Mac has support for Wordpress. I have been using it for a number of years now, but not with Wordpress.

I have also installed Wordpress on a server and don't recall it being difficult. Wordpress is fine for basic sites and there are plug-ins for almost everything. So you can put something together very quickly. But later it can become a nightmare if you are doing anything moderately complex. Authors often don't update their plugins and themes and then they break when a Wordpress update comes along. And there are endless updates to Wordpress because it's constantly being attacked by hackers.

I'm no longer a fan of Wordpress, but it could be a good solution if your site is simple.

Reactions: lostPod

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Hello @Boyd01 and thank you for your reply, my concern is I don't want to mess too much about coding and nor to have to rely on somebody for eventual updates so if I can fill something like a template that's very welcome, in the past I did my own website with html and some css but now I don't want to start from scratch and bother with all that stuff, basically I need a page to state my presence as a company with a brief description of my services, some photographs, a form to send a message and a few links to my social media.

This said my first issue is which kind of hosting to buy, if a Win or Linux or if a dedicated WordPress which, if I got it right, is no different than the others besides the fact it has some built in support to develop a page with forms and plugins but, say, I want to put up something the old way, html, I can still do it so, to begin, I could re upload my old website, is that correct?

Grazie

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Impossible to answer without knowing more about the plans you are considering. My guess is that a dedicated Wordpress site would require you to use Wordpress however.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I will call the support and ask, on a first call they told me I could even buy either Win or Linux hosting and then add myself support for WordPress or buy the WP plan straight ahead, I better ask.

Which software allows local development of WP stuff on Mac?

grazie

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Please see my earlier post. MAMP Pro will let you run Wordpress, build a site on your Mac and then move it to web host. I am a happy user of MAMP Pro, but don't use it for that.

Also, with a Linux server plan, it may include a user interface package such as cPanel. If so, that will often include a simple one-click installation of Wordpress if it's not already installed. You could ask your hosting company about that.

Reactions: Giuanniello

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I will call the support and ask, on a first call they told me I could even buy either Win or Linux hosting and then add myself support for WordPress or buy the WP plan straight ahead, I better ask.

Which software allows local development of WP stuff on Mac?

grazie
I have a website hosted on Dreamhost. It is a simple site generated using hand coded php. They also offer as many Wordpress sites as we want to configure on the same account. They have a simple web interface to install and configure the wordpress instance. I’m pretty sure that the server is running Linux but it has never been something we needed to care about for our needs. Last I checked it was about $10/month. I have no interest in setting up and managing a server myself.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
I second WordPress. I would recommend GoDaddy's hosting as it's the friendliest. I personally use HostGator though.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
If you are going to use WordPress keep it simple. Don't install locally because transferring what you have done locally to a hosting server is difficult. Not just a case of moving files, you also need to move the database and it will get messy if you are not used to doing that or not interested in getting that deep into things.

Find a decent hosting provider that offers cPanel with the WordPress Toolkit. With that, you can install WordPress and then clone it. This allows you to work on a copy of the live site, change themes, add plugins, test it and so on. Once you are happy you can then move it to the live site.

You can do the above as many times as you want, that way visitors will only see what version of the site you want and be able to make all sorts of changes without them seeing a half-edited site.

Also, consider a theme that is well structured and offers a lot of options to create the right look with a lot less effort.

Blocksy is a great general theme, the free version offers so much more than most themes. If you are willing to pay the $49 for it then you get so much more.

Reactions: Boyd01

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
There is an free app called Local which allows you to build WordPress sites locally. While some people use this to build a site before uploading, I know a few people who have used it to learn Word Press. I used it to demonstrate a site design I was working on for a client just last week. This app is available on Mac (Intel and ARM), Windows, and Linux (both Debian based and RPM based distros).

Reactions: Boyd01

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho

Grazie
Not sure if you're still needing assistance with this or not but thought I'd offer my 2 cents...

Having spent the past decade in the Web Development/Design field and going to school for it...hiring a dedicated developer will cost you a fortune. It's not impossible and a decent developer can build you a good looking site but with the amount of online services that essentially do it for you, you can save yourself a lot of money going that route.

That being said, using any modern CMS (like WordPress) will give you the look and feel of what you're aiming for. Thankfully, WordPress is already coded to do responsive web design so any design you come up should work perfectly in both desktop and mobile modes. The field has leap frogged itself so many times in the past decade that it would be hard not to find a platform that doesn't have mobile design at the fore front at this point.

The other great thing about WordPress is that there are HUNDREDS (if not THOUSANDS) of theme builders that will allow you to build your site using GUI to where needing to know hard coding isn't really necessary. Sure, it's still great to know if you need to troubleshoot but HTML5 and CMS platforms have really streamlined the process and almost eliminated the need to know how to start a web page from scratch. Notice how I said 'almost'.

As for building your site locally and then uploading/transferring it to a host...if you're not familiar with how WordPress works, I would still use Wordpress to build your site but I would build it entirely on the Web Host. Doing it locally on your computer is great to do proof of concept and IF you know what you're doing, then you can upload it to the host but for beginners, I recommend doing it on the web host instead.

As for hosting services, GoDaddy and Dream Host are excellent services. I've used Dream Host for my sites and they are phenomenal and are explicitly setup to support WordPress sites.

Hope this helps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.