Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donleon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2020
Florida, USA
Hi Friends,

I hairline cracked my 2021 M1 MBP 16" screen yest 😭 Luckily in the corner so its still usable.

Brought it into apple and its $850 + tax to repair. They replace the whole display.

If my battery is in poor condition they will replace that too in the same price.

I'm at 86%.

Looking for advice on how to bring the condition down to <80% so I can at least get a new battery with this massive expenditure and make it worth the investment.

Thanks!

P.S. I will always buy apple care from now on.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi Friends,

I hairline cracked my 2021 M1 MBP 16" screen yest 😭 Luckily in the corner so its still usable.

Brought it into apple and its $850 + tax to repair. They replace the whole display.

If my battery is in poor condition they will replace that too in the same price.

I'm at 86%.

Looking for advice on how to bring the condition down to <80% so I can at least get a new battery with this massive expenditure and make it worth the investment.

Thanks!

P.S. I will always buy apple care from now on.
It will likely take months to perpetrate this scam. There's nothing you can do to rapidly damage the battery like this.

Reactions: Audit13

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Typical battery health profile drops relatively quickly early and then it has plateau and very slow drop between 95 and 80%. It might take months of daily full charge cycles to drop those 6%. Good luck loading M1 MBP to discharge it quickly enough, mine has really 15+ hours battery life. There is no simple way to predict when any specific battery drops below 80%. Keep in mind, that Apple states it should take ~1000 cycles. Each my battery died well before 1k cycles, but then it died usually due to age.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Yes... people avoid buying AppleCare+ until it really hurts them... the Apple repair tax is a lot more expensive than just buying some insurance aka peace of mind.
Apple planned it that way, no way it costs them anything near what they charge for repairs.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Apple planned it that way, no way it costs them anything near what they charge for repairs.
As you like... it's a free market, if you're not happy with Apple's repair charges, just don't buy Apple products?

If you're going to buy Apple stuff though, AppleCare+ is a no brainer unless you're someone who is comfortable with the risks and won't whine when things go wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.