Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2023
I have 4 higher end stereos in my house. I had loaded perhaps 600 CD's into iTunes and I have forever used an AirPort Extreme that talked to airport expresses that plugged into my stereos so I could use the remote app on my iPhone to control music throughout my home. I suspect it is time to rework all of the networking? I currently have Xfinity providing my internet and streaming services for tv's. What do I need to use to connect to my iTunes/music and connect to my various stereos?

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
My recommendation would be to replace your router with a modern one, or a mesh system such as Netgear Orbi, depending on the size and complexity of the area you need to cover.

Then, get a dedicated AirPlay 2 adapter for each stereo. I would recommend wired Ethernet for stability and low latency, but WiFi works fine for me where Ethernet is not practical.

The AirPort Express units you already have will actually work nicely as AirPlay 2 adapters if you upgrade them to the latest firmware and disable networking so that they only act as AirPlay receivers and not as WiFi units. There are some caveats as described here:

Unlike just a few years ago, there are now several really nice products to choose from to replace an AirPort Express, depending on your requirements:

The Belkin is the cheapest no-nonsense option that does what it says on the tin. If you intend to use the optical interface, and only AirPlay 2, this one is just fine. No Ethernet, though.

The WiiM app is really nice, and the Pro version has several high-end features and interfaces, all the streaming services and a pretty good DAC.

I haven’t had a chance to try the Eve Play yet, but I intend to.

You may want to read through this entire thread:

Last edited:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
If you already have a working set up, why do you feel the need to upgrade it? AirPort Expresses still work through modern macOS and iOS versions, so there isn't a need to change to anything else unless you are having connection issues or something. The only thing I could suggest is running ethernet for them, and making sure you have the latest AirPort Express model since they can have AirPlay 2 support.

I've got a similar setup in my house and things have been great for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.