Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I recently picked up the 11" Pro, but I cannot seem to find the right case for me. I don't want bulk or anything that has a separate pencil pocket or pencil flap. It seems like every case on amazon is either a keyboard case, or has that annoying flap or pocket for the Apple pencil. All I want is something simple like the old smart cover and a hard back. I would prefer the front cover be removable from the back when desired. My old 10.5 iPad Pro had the genuine smart cover with a generic hard back that accepted the smart cover. I could easily remove the smart cover flap if desired. Does anything like this exist for the 11"? Thanks for any help.

Reactions: sracer

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I use this ESR case. Magnetic, easy to remove, has slot for pencil. I used this, combined with magic keyboard (if I need much typing work while outside home).
Edit: add that, it has a solid back which prevent iPad from bending.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Is the hard shell a must? I don’t think I’ve seen any of those that has full edge protection. They all have an opening for the Apple Pencil. I haven’t seen any cases for the flat edged iPads with removable front cover.

If you’re okay with a soft shell, this one has a thinner edge for Apple Pencil but it has full coverage.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I use the Smart Folio for my 11" Pro since it's the closest thing to the Smart Covers. Of course you can't remove the front, but the front does magnetically stick to the back when you flip it open...and if you need to use the camera, the 1/3rd panel will also magnetically stick when you flip it over to reveal the camera.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
The following thread might be of use to you, it's for the 2018 iPad Pro but most of the cases have been updated for the newer versions -

I also liked the combination of a separate Smart Cover and back cover, but couldn't find anything similar for the 2018 iPad Pro. I ended up going with the following as I wanted something light that covered the edges of the iPad -

They have a new version with a built-in stand -

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I recently picked up the 11" Pro, but I cannot seem to find the right case for me. I don't want bulk or anything that has a separate pencil pocket or pencil flap. It seems like every case on amazon is either a keyboard case, or has that annoying flap or pocket for the Apple pencil. All I want is something simple like the old smart cover and a hard back. I would prefer the front cover be removable from the back when desired. My old 10.5 iPad Pro had the genuine smart cover with a generic hard back that accepted the smart cover. I could easily remove the smart cover flap if desired. Does anything like this exist for the 11"? Thanks for any help.

I was in the same camp as you a few months ago. I had a hard shell back and the removable Smart Cover on my iPad Air for 7 years. I did not want to change that setup. Was very unhappy when I found out it wasn't possible on a new iPad Air.

But then I bought the Air 4 and the Apple Smart Folio and was blown away. The Folio removes entirely just as quickly as the Cover if you want it completely naked. But the biggest breakthru is that when the Folio stays on and you fold the cover back, the magnets are so strong and the fit so perfect that you don't get that uncomfortable feeling in your hand like you did with the old Smart Cover. It's actually more comfortable and secure to hold with the Folio on than the Air was with the Cover off.

Go to an Apple store. Get the Smart Folio. Give it a try for a few days. Return it if you don't like it. But I think you will.

Reactions: curdy and Zensō

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Just got the zugu case for my iPad 9 and I must admit the hype is real . Very functional and beautifully crafted

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Have a look at this -

It has a back shell that covers the iPad when you're using it and, effectively, a detachable folio cover to use as a stand or for when you're carrying the iPad around. Again, it seems to be a generic brand so it's available from different places under different names. I have seen some reviews saying the Pencil won't charge when it's in the case, but that's not an issue if you don't have the Pencil.

There's a video review here for the Air 4 and 5 version. According to the questions on Amazon.com, this version won't fit the 2021 Pro because of the size of the lens frame, but the versions shown on AliExpress are compatible. They include an extra lens surround and there's a review from someone with a 2021 Pro 11 -

Last edited:

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
I have this one for my iPad Pro, very light & adds very little bulk.

Reactions: Simacca

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Unfortunately, you are correct.

That is my primary reason for sticking with my Mini 5 (and not upgrading) and why, if I need a larger iPad, it will be the iPad 9. I need smartcover support. My hope is that by the time that I need to replace the Mini, Apple will circle back to providing smartcovers for future iPad models.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You can't get an old-style removable Smart Cover because the magnets are in the back, not the side.

This is your generic option.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
I went with the ESR magnetic cover and a TiMovo 9-11 inch sleeve. I like the combination so far.

Goodrich

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2021
The native Apple one is exorbitantly priced but it does last and does protect the iPad.

1CaesaR1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2020
I also have the Zugu on my 11 Pro. Pricey but worth it!

I personally love the Apple smart folio, but lately I have been leaning more towards Zugu. Have the Zugu case for my IPP 2018 and just purchased it for my IPP M1. It is not too bulky and I love that it adds more protection than the smart folio.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I’ve resigned to the fact that I’ll need multiple cases/folios and I’ll have to switch to whichever is appropriate for the time.

If I know I’m just going to be reading or watching video, I use the Apple Smart folio.

If I’m going to be doing a bit of typing but more reading/browsing, I’ll use the Smart Keyboard Folio (since it folds all the way back).

If I know I’m going to be doing only productivity stuff at a desk, I’ll use the Magic Keyboard case.

If I’m taking the iPad out of town and I need a one-for-everything case, I use the Logitech Combo Touch.

Yes, it’s excessive and obnoxious, but it’s what works best for me out of the available options.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’ve resigned to the fact that I’ll need multiple cases/folios and I’ll have to switch to whichever is appropriate for the time.

If I know I’m just going to be reading or watching video, I use the Apple Smart folio.

If I’m going to be doing a bit of typing but more reading/browsing, I’ll use the Smart Keyboard Folio (since it folds all the way back).

If I know I’m going to be doing only productivity stuff at a desk, I’ll use the Magic Keyboard case.

If I’m taking the iPad out of town and I need a one-for-everything case, I use the Logitech Combo Touch.

Yes, it’s excessive and obnoxious, but it’s what works best for me out of the available options.

For me, I use a Smart Folio for everyday use and a flexible TPU case if I feel the iPad needs more protection. I can’t stand anything heavier than those.

I don’t use the iPads as mobile laptops so no need for portable keyboard. My home and office desks already have multi-device Logitech keyboards and trackballs for the times when I’d use the iPad as a complement to the desktop. Couch, bed, etc., I’m perfectly fine using the onscreen keyboard.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
I've found this case to be an okay combo of a smart cover and a somewhat rugged case.

Apple Pencil/Logitech Crayon sleeve, magnetic cover makes it easy to wake the iPad up, and gives me plenty of grip/protection whenever I take it outside the house. I used to struggle finding decent cases too when I had my Mini 2 years ago.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

I used magic keyboard and ESR magnetic case. Plus simple sleeve if I need more protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.