Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eksu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
People buy Dual Processors Macs just to get the tray. Usually they keep the best parts of the Macs and resell the single tray one to keep the costs down.

I thought I'd include this quote because it describes my situation perfectly. I have had a single processor 2009 cMP for over a year now, and saw a great deal on a dual tray 2009 and picked it up as well.

Other than cosmetics and the tray, what would be the best way to determine which components to keep? Obviously I'm keeping my dual cpu daughterboard. I've looked up manufacturing date on my motherboards boards, one was produced in the USA in April 2009 and the other was produced in China in December 2009.

Are there any components or chips that on the motherboard that were sourced by multiple suppliers, and are there preferred suppliers? Any good way to decide what power supply to keep? Any way to determine lifetime uptime or important capacitors or traces to inspect?

Thanks,
EKSU

P.S. If there is reason to prefer 2010 or 2012 models, or any other discrepancies between seemingly similar Mac Pro's, maybe this could be a place to discuss such things.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It's complicated to explain this, since you don't know the history of the Mac Pro, it's more or less a visual inspection and a feeling thing.

Logic Board:

Test both Macs, then remove the boards and inspect both side by side. Look for damages on the PCB near the end of the board where people some times scratch the board installing PCIe cards, check for damage on the PCIe slots. Keep the one with the least amount of oxidation.

Fans:

Fans are expensive, take your time to select the best ones, start cleaning everyone. With the right equipment you can check what are the best ones, but without, check for the lowest noise from the motors.

PSU:

Open both with care, don't touch any tracks or pads from the big electrolytic caps. Do a visual inspection and check for any bulges at the top of the caps, any electrolyte stains/corrosion on the board. Pay attention near every cap bottom.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
While tsialex has given the best advice you can give in the end it's really just a crap shoot.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
you can keep both or sell one is the simplest thing to do :D

if your going to start ripping out parts to keep then sell/trash the rest it will take more time, so depends how much free time you have.

if it was me id keep both or just sell one as i dont want to spend ages ripping out parts then selling them

tsialex is correct,
do visual inspection maybe run both machines see if one runs cooler (with the same cpu tray) or has less fan noise (maybe better condition fans).
there was at least 2 revisions of the PSU and one (mine) runs 10c hotter at least
look for caps that are discolored or swollen

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
While tsialex has given the best advice you can give in the end it's really just a crap shoot.
In my experience, oxidation in the board components is the worst problem after user damage. The boards are so well built that is rare to find a component fail. But it's common to find oxidation.

Reactions: orph
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.