Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I bought Default Folder X years ago and have upgraded through a few versions. Now that V6 has been released I decided I ought to look for an alternative because I only ever use one feature.

In the open/save dialogue box, it allows you to click on another Finder window and that window is then transferred to the open/save dialogue box in whatever app you're using.

That's literally all I use in Default Folder X. Rather than paying yet again for an upgrade, is there an alternative application that adds this feature?

Sebski

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
UK
I bought Default Folder X years ago and have upgraded through a few versions. Now that V6 has been released I decided I ought to look for an alternative because I only ever use one feature.

In the open/save dialogue box, it allows you to click on another Finder window and that window is then transferred to the open/save dialogue box in whatever app you're using.

That's literally all I use in Default Folder X. Rather than paying yet again for an upgrade, is there an alternative application that adds this feature?

Do you mean when you have the open/save dialogue box for example in Pages and you click outside of Pages on a folder in Finder and that folder is now active in the dialogue box?

Just drag&drop folder from Finder to the dialouge box.

Reactions: MacBH928 and Feek

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Holy crap. Mac user for fifteen years and didn't realise that could be done! Probably because I've always used Default Folder X to do it ;)

Thank you.

Sebski

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
UK
Holy crap. Mac user for fifteen years and didn't realise that could be done! Probably because I've always used Default Folder X to do it ;)

Thank you.

Haha! I learnt that "trick" long long long time ago, it is very handy.

I did have Default Folder X installed many years ago. The same as you mentioned, I had some earlier version and then paid for an upgrade once or twice. However, I noticed it always used to slow down the dialogue box, it was like it was "frozen" for couple of seconds before all options were diasplayed. But I can't remember if any other versions behave the same later.
But I found exactly the same: I used it only to get the current Finder folder displayed in the open/save dialogue box. I found having may Favourites folders saved was not helping. And at some point I realised that anytime I need to navigate to a specific place on my Mac, I have it in the background in Finder - because I usualy work on the files I want to save or open.

Reactions: Feek

agal

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
Do you mean when you have the open/save dialogue box for example in Pages and you click outside of Pages on a folder in Finder and that folder is now active in the dialogue box?

Thanks a lot for the tip

Thank you.
Just like me!!!!!!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I noticed it always used to slow down the dialogue box, it was like it was "frozen" for couple of seconds before all options were diasplayed.

Didn't happen to me until Ventura. Fixed in Sonoma.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
In case it’s not common knowledge already, these shortcuts work in Open/Save dialog boxes:
Shift-Command-C: Open the Computer window.
Shift-Command-D: Open the desktop folder.
Shift-Command-G: Open a Go to Folder window.

Shift-Command-H: Open the Home folder of the current macOS user account.
Shift-Command-I: Open iCloud Drive.
Shift-Command-K: Open the Network window.
Option-Command-L: Open the Downloads folder.
Shift-Command-O: Open the Documents folder.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.