Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I love how the SE feels in my hand. An XSM is huge on its own, but stick a case on it and see how much you love it. Probably won’t hear many guys say this, but I wouldn’t mind losing an inch of length lol. But now that I am used to the size, I don’t want to lose too much. Too bad they couldn’t make custom phones to fit your hand. And have modular internals to upgrade periodically to stay current.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yes, that is something I miss on the SE...the tap to wake. But once I retrained my brain to tap the home button instead of just the screen I was fine.

Yeah that hasn’t really bothered me because I’ve gotten used to pressing the home button, but what I am still struggling with (aside from my typing issues) are the swiping motions. I guess because I’m using them on my iPad Pro, I am forever having to remind myself what I need to do on my phone to access certain things.

I received the iPhone 11 Pro I ordered this morning, so and I am going to try that out for a couple days to see what I think. I don’t know if I can tolerate the OLED, so this will let me know if I could even go with any series 12 phones, while letting me try out the size.

Honestly I had no idea how close the 11 pro size was to this SE. it’s heavier of course, but the overall size is very similar. I’m anxious to try it out tonight.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
"I don't want to reach a few inches to check my phone" is well beyond 1st world problems at this point. It's just petty.
The same can be said of not wanting to put your finger on the home button to unlock or login, etc.

As mentioned, it just boils down to personal preference. Both TouchID and FaceID are certainly a lot easier than inputting a passcode or a complicated password.

At this point and time, Apple still makes devices that have TouchID/home button. If the SE 2020 suits one's usage better, then by all means, the user should get that.

Reactions: usagora

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
Yeah that hasn’t really bothered me because I’ve gotten used to pressing the home button, but what I am still struggling with (aside from my toying issues) are the swiping motions. I guess because I’m using them on my iPad Pro, I am forever having to remind myself what I need to do on my phone to access certain things.

I received the iPhone 11 Pro I ordered this morning, so and I am going to try that out for a couple days to see what I think. I don’t know if I can tolerate the OLED, so this will let me know if I could even go with any series 12 phones, while letting me try out the size.

Honestly I had no idea how close the 11 pro size was to this SE. it’s heavier of course, but the overall size is very similar. I’m anxious to try it out tonight.

Let us know what you think of the 11 Pro vs the SE.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Yeah that hasn’t really bothered me because I’ve gotten used to pressing the home button, but what I am still struggling with (aside from my toying issues) are the swiping motions. I guess because I’m using them on my iPad Pro, I am forever having to remind myself what I need to do on my phone to access certain things.

Will be good to know your thoughts!

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I’m guessing she will like the size, but it might be heavy, might not be.. it’s a sweet phone.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
"I don't want to reach a few inches to check my phone" is well beyond 1st world problems at this point. It's just petty.

Actually what he said was:

Had an iPhone X for a week, annoyed that I couldn't lay it on my desk and unlock it easily. Pros and cons to both. I'd rather have my device unlocked before it's at my face than having to wait on Face ID and then swipe up.

So the issue had nothing to do with reaching, but rather having to lift it to your face and swipe, vs. simply place your thumb/finger down. He clearly stated there are pros and cons to both, which I'm pretty sure just about everyone agrees with. It's not petty; it's just personal preference. I just get annoyed when people give themselves a pass on their pet complaints, but criticize other people for their pet complaints, just because it's not something they personally have an issue with.
[automerge]1592421458[/automerge]
Yes, that is something I miss on the SE...the tap to wake. But once I retrained my brain to tap the home button instead of just the screen I was fine.

The issue is sometimes you just want to see the time and/or notifications, not unlock the phone. And depending on which fingers/thumbs you have set up for Touch ID, it can be awkward in some situations (like when the phone is in a mount). In any case, it's just silly of Apple to take that feature away for no reason. Obviously the phone itself is capable of doing that, so why the heck disable it? From a UI perspective (which ought to be a picky/anal discipline by nature), it's dumb. What bothers me is not so much the specific issue (which obviously one can get used to/work around), but the principle of removing features with no explanation or logical reason.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Frankly, I find current iPhones too thin, anyway.

I personally wouldn't mind a thicker iPhone with plastic back like the iPhone 3GS or 5c. Would probably help maintain weight, too, despite a bigger battery. That, I'd actually be able to use caseless.

The 11 Pro Max is quite a chunker versus most iPhones of the last 8 years which were mostly under 8mm thin, the 11 Pro Max is 8.1mm thick, but yeah, not as thick as a 3GS.

I love how chunky and hefty the 11 Pro Max feels, along with that cold to the touch steel, it’s built like a luxury phone of course it’s also as fragile as one to.

I do hope Apple continue to put larger batteries as many people will be very unhappy if the 12 range exhibit less battery than the 11 Pro Max.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The 11 Pro Max is quite a chunker versus most iPhones of the last 8 years which were mostly under 8mm thin, the 11 Pro Max is 8.1mm thick, but yeah, not as thick as a 3GS.

I love how chunky and hefty the 11 Pro Max feels, along with that cold to the touch steel, it’s built like a luxury phone of course it’s also as fragile as one to.

I do hope Apple continue to put larger batteries as many people will be very unhappy if the 12 range exhibit less battery than the 11 Pro Max.
I expect I would absolutely hate how big and heavy the 11 Pro Max is. Couldn't even tolerate the 172g 6+.

I've had Android phones with 2800 mAh battery (~1000 mAh more than SE2 and ~200 mAh less than 11 Pro) that are less than 140g and 9.9mm thick. I'd be perfectly fine with a 5.4" iPhone 12 that's around 150g and 10mm thick if it gets battery life as good as the 5.8" 11 Pro.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I expect I would absolutely hate how big and heavy the 11 Pro Max is. Couldn't even tolerate the 172g 6+.

I've had Android phones with 2800 mAh battery (~1000 mAh more than SE2 and ~200 mAh less than 11 Pro) that are less than 140g and 9.9mm thick. I'd be perfectly fine with a 5.4" iPhone 12 that's around 150g and 10mm thick if it gets battery life as good as the 5.8" 11 Pro.

Yeah the Pro iPhones use Stainless Steel so they are bound to be heavier than most phones in general.

With the above being said certain Android OEMs have been fantastic in building well balanced phones, Samsung, Huawei and LG in particular I have found usually strike a great balance in feature, size and weight. Considering all the hardware and moving parts in a Galaxy S20 Ultra, you would think it would be heavier especially with a huge 5000mAh battery.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Let us know what you think of the 11 Pro vs the SE.

I will. I was just able to get it set up. My WiFi is pretty awful, so we went to a friend’s after running some errands. I’m looking forward to trying it out tonight to see if the OLED bothers me. That’s what I’m most worried about as I wasn’t able to keep my XS Max, although I’m wondering if I gave it enough of a shot, or just blew it off too quickly.
[automerge]1592435696[/automerge]
I’m guessing she will like the size, but it might be heavy, might not be.. it’s a sweet phone.

Well, the size is definitely great. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen the regular 11 pro in person - only the max.

It’s not as heavy as my 11, although it’s definitely heavier than the SE. I say that but it’s really only an ounce or so. Why does that feel like a lot on a device like this?

Of course the phone is a gorgeous piece of tech. Is it worth the price difference? Probably not really for my use, but it doesn’t mean I won’t keep it if I like it. ;-p

Last edited:
Reactions: freeagent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.