Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So let piracy run rampant is what you suggest. Good to know
I didn't suggest any such thing. What I did state was very clear.

If you want to help Apple deal with piracy of the developer preview, talk to them about it. Coming into a thread making a snide (read: rude) comment about people you don't know, is nothing more than being bellicose, because you feel you can. It doesn't add to the thread at all, in my opinion. If the Macrumors staff sees something untoward, they will handle it as they see fit. And that is all I have to say about this.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
one thing I noticed that doesn't work for me is Facebook. :D :D :D
For some reason it doesn't refresh and its stuck on the same page as when it first loaded. Every other page works fine. It's weird issue but at least I save some time checking that evil page :D :D :D

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For some reason it doesn't refresh and its stuck on the same page as when it first loaded. Every other page works fine. It's weird issue but at least I save some time checking that evil page :D :D :D
Facebook has been blocked by the rootless protection of El Capitan. It was done for your security and sanity.
Love, Apple

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Cant say I fully agree. Metal for example will have noting to do with how your system functions under normal conditions. But off course there are some changes. Would have been pointless to bring out a new version whiteout any changes.

What I said before I guess is the best option, install on a other partition to check compatibility with your daily mac use...

That is incorrect. Core Animation and many of the core UI functions are running via Metal now, instead of OpenGL. The entire OS uses it for its animations, Mission Control, etc etc are on top of Metal instead of OpenGL in El Cap. The apps you use are likely to use Core Animation as well.

If the drivers are not properly optimized or is buggy, you can experience kernel panics caused by the GPU.

Reactions: cjmillsnun

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
That is incorrect. Core Animation and many of the core UI functions are running via Metal now, instead of OpenGL. The entire OS uses it for its animations, Mission Control, etc etc are on top of Metal instead of OpenGL in El Cap. The apps you use are likely to use Core Animation as well.

If the drivers are not properly optimized or is buggy, you can experience kernel panics caused by the GPU.

Thats nice and all, but isn't Metal only running on Macs 2012> ?

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I also pulled the trigger and installed it on my Mid-2014 13" rMBP and I haven't had any major issues. Battery life and performance have been noticeably better then they were on Yosemite! The only issue I have had is web pages in safari sometimes load in the mobile version/look strange but a refresh of the webpage usually fixes it. I usually never install first betas but I strongly recommend trying this one out.

Battery life feels worse for me. I'm on a late 13 rMBP.

Edit: My rMBP is doing a new Time Machine backup... that may have something to do with it.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Well I'm 1.5 days in, and like most others I'm impressed thus far. I have hit a few bugs like Mail.app completely forgetting about my SMTP settings. Also, other small little bugs. No crashing, even of any of the third party apps I've used. Thats not many because I've spent most of my time in Safari. So far that has been a great experience. Even with 2 external monitors connected and a good many tabs (15+) of heavy music/video websites open, the performance has been great. The UI always seems ready to go and has a smooth animations throughout. I've see some small quirks, a flash of a black or white frame here and there, but nothing bad.

So far this does not feel like a typical first beta from Apple, and that should be a really good thing if this isn't released until September. Should be very solid.

Reactions: gklka

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I'm having the same problem here. It fixes itself whenever I restart safari, but a couple of minutes later it works again. This is actually a major bug for as Facebook is the only way I can stay in contact with most of my friends over the summer.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Cant say I fully agree. Metal for example will have noting to do with how your system functions under normal conditions. But off course there are some changes. Would have been pointless to bring out a new version whiteout any changes.

What I said before I guess is the best option, install on a other partition to check compatibility with your daily mac use...

Metal will affect how your system functions in normal use. If used on a supported Mac, Core Graphics and Core Animation uses metal, and even if it didn't, it may interact with existing code in unpredictable ways. Any under the skin change can react with any other part of the OS. That's why Betas are never recommended for those who need stability, and even upgrading to the latest OS is not recommended immediately until a few point releases have squashed bugs.

The OS is what controls the whole experience on the computer. Dick around with it and run pre-release at your own risk.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Same here.

I have the rMBP from 2012 too, and with El Capitan it's smoking fast.

I love it!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I was debatting whether or not I should pull the trigger but eventually decided to risk it.
I made time machine backup and downloaded the DP1. With Yosemite, I did have some problems here and there and I still had the graphical glitch then when waking computer from sleep it showed some crazy weird noisy image before giving me the option to log in.

Now, after installation I was carefully examining what got broken and I can say that only little snitch didn't work. I installed latest update and now all good.

RESULT? My 2012 rMBP 15" is smoking fast, no sleep wake up graphical glitch and overall responsiveness improved a lot. Its very noticeable. So far, it feels like having a new computer.

Very happy with my risky move. No regrets!

It seems to me that Apple made the right choice and focused on the important things rather than some fluff. Very happy puppy here :)
This has been my experience as well on a 2011 13"MBP. It honestly feels faster than Yosemite felt when I first installed. I started on a brand new partition with both of them and I'm thoroughly impressed with El Cap. Aside from a couple of bugs in Safari, I'm all set.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
I didn't suggest any such thing. What I did state was very clear.

If you want to help Apple deal with piracy of the developer preview, talk to them about it. Coming into a thread making a snide (read: rude) comment about people you don't know, is nothing more than being bellicose, because you feel you can. It doesn't add to the thread at all, in my opinion. If the Macrumors staff sees something untoward, they will handle it as they see fit. And that is all I have to say about this.
Lighten up :rolleyes:. He made an observation based off what he saw in the thread (a correct observation at that).

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
As someone who doesn't like the idea of rootless... I don't think that I'll be updating even once the final PB hits. I haven't spent much time looking into rootless so when early September comes around I'll probably know enough to decide if I want to update or not. But honestly, I'm not as eager to update as I was with 10.10 (and I updated to PB in early September, literally a few weeks before official release).

I will admit that 10.10.4 (latest beta) is amazing.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
So..curiosity got the best of me and I installed El Cap. Must say, it's impressive and everything [ other than Lil Snitch ] seems to be working just fine, including Office [ with all the latest updates installed..yes including the one we got a few days back ]

Have a desktop, so I can risk running an early dev version on my MBP :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Right, because your caring about someone else using pirated software will stop them from doing it. :rolleyes:

If anything, the people using a "pirated" copy of 10.11 add to the amount of bug reports Apple has to work with, and the amount of apps optimized for it (not all developers are willing to pay $99/year). Very few if any of those people would ever become paid developers just to try the 10.11 betas.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have an itch to install it on my Mac Pro at the primary OS, but I know I'm gonna wanna run the Public Betas so I need to wait a month. It's been running very well on my MacBook Pro.

*grumbles at wait time for public beta, as he boots into his second partition to use El Cap on his Mac Pro*

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
Metal will affect how your system functions in normal use. If used on a supported Mac, Core Graphics and Core Animation uses metal, and even if it didn't, it may interact with existing code in unpredictable ways. Any under the skin change can react with any other part of the OS. That's why Betas are never recommended for those who need stability, and even upgrading to the latest OS is not recommended immediately until a few point releases have squashed bugs.

The OS is what controls the whole experience on the computer. Dick around with it and run pre-release at your own risk.
Who is saying anything about drinking around with a pre release OS? Why do we have these Pre release? To check compatibility and test new features! Its not like I advise to run it as your daily operating OS. I myself am using it on a second partition to check its compatibility (and some dicking around) for about 2 hours a day. For the rest of the time I spend behind my MBP, I use 10.10.4 latest beta release.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

This is not Windows, there is no "piracy". What there is is a NDA violation, but it's still not piracy.

What people shouldn't do is come complaining when they don't know how to debug issues with beta 1 and aren't willing to submit radars to Apple.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Right, because your caring about someone else using pirated software will stop them from doing it. :rolleyes:

If anything, the people using a "pirated" copy of 10.11 add to the amount of bug reports Apple has to work with, and the amount of apps optimized for it (not all developers are willing to pay $99/year). Very few if any of those people would ever become paid developers just to try the 10.11 betas.
No, but Macrumors should not condone it. Apple has a public beta for this purpose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.