Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Europe
Your from Europe right ? Interesting that the blacklisting is enforced from US to EU, that kinda sucks .

Look - make an appointment at Apple , explain to them the situation , as it been shipped all the way from US and is a brick, they maybe able to help out. If they say nothing can be done, return it via eBay . Your best case is a replacement unit which will be unlocked in eu .

Thing is there are no Apple stores in my country... I'm just trying to consider all options before returning it, as I've already mentioned the import fees were expensive and shipping it back will also be.

Anyone here willing to ship me a AT&T prepaid sim just so I can try activating the phone? I'll pay for it.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
You just don't get it, do you? Even with AT&T Sim it wont work. It's blacklisted!

Reactions: Earth45

Ian.C

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Lancashire, UK
first things first, you have absolutely no chance of getting that phone to accept any sim in its current state "blacklisted" even an AT&T sim won't work as they are the provider and they have blacklisted the phone.

if the buyer is not responding, report to ebay and file a claim, you will have to return it, 28 days later you will get your money back minus the return shipping. Don't scrimp on the return shipping make sure you are covered for the cost of the phone if lost and full tracking is provided. or you could lose everything.

Speak to ebay support before you do any of the above for guidance. they will help you through the process

good luck

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Thing is there are no Apple stores in my country... I'm just trying to consider all options before returning it, as I've already mentioned the import fees were expensive and shipping it back will also be.

Anyone here willing to ship me a AT&T prepaid sim just so I can try activating the phone? I'll pay for it.

Sorry mate, but it looks like it's a stolen phone . As others have said actually, a sim only activates a carrier phone. A blacklist is used for stolen phones .

If you bought this via eBay, import fees should have been handled by them, they should refund everything , including shipping . Contact eBay asap and see what the situation is. They cater for this.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California

If you report it through ebay they will make the seller pay for the return costs or they will pay for it. You will get your money back. Ebay always sides with the buyer ... even if they are full of ****. I've been burned on ebay because of a shady buyer before.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Even tried calling AT&T support and they say it's impossible to unlock it because it was reported as lost or stolen and only the original owner can do something about that. But, he's refusing to cooperate for some reason. Like you, I am totally clueless as to the reason he is not co-operating.

Yeah, I am also scratching my head as to why the original owner is not co-operating with you. That is really really odd, and makes no sense at all.
[doublepost=1513010961][/doublepost]
Is there a chance the phone would activate if I popped in a AT&T sim card? And when I got through the activation process it would work with my international sim? Asking because the signal bars appear before I try to activate...

Yes, you should totally try inserting an AT&T card, that will definitely do the trick. Seeing that the phone has been reported stolen and blacklisted, it makes total sense that simply inserting an AT&T SIM card will override everything. You da man!
[doublepost=1513011214][/doublepost]

Sure, I can ship you an AT&T prepaid SIM card. Lets say $200 for my trouble?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Since I've been sent all the accessories (box, headphones, cable and charger), think it might still be under contract with AT&T. So you think there's no chance of unlocking the phone and being able to use it internationally?

Returning it back is sort of like a last resort option since I've already paid the import fees and shipping back would be costly as well... but if there's absolutely no chance of using it here, guess I'll have to just send it back.
Thats too bad. Dont buy from ebay.

Reactions: Earth45

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Europe
Yeah, I am also scratching my head as to why the original owner is not co-operating with you. That is really really odd, and makes no sense at all.
[doublepost=1513010961][/doublepost]

Yes, you should totally try inserting an AT&T card, that will definitely do the trick. Seeing that the phone has been reported stolen and blacklisted, it makes total sense that simply inserting an AT&T SIM card will override everything. You da man!
[doublepost=1513011214][/doublepost]

Sure, I can ship you an AT&T prepaid SIM card. Lets say $200 for my trouble?

Really constructive replies here, you helped so much...

Anyways, I've opened a case and explained everything to eBay and hopefully I get my money back.

Appreciate all the help guys.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California

Anyways, I've opened a case and explained everything to eBay and hopefully I get my money back.

I would try swappa for next time ... they check the imei before they can list the phone ... although I am not too sure about international shipping.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

You did the right, and smart, thing. I would expect that eBay will make sure that your costs, including import and return postage fees, get refunded as well. eBay is a crappy place to be a seller, but eBay does a very thorough job of protecting buyers (whether they're honest, like you, or not).

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Ebay/paypal dispute is the best course of action if all fails you can get it unlocked with a third party service for a fee just make sure to select the option that the phone it's not "clean imei".

I won't post any sites since I don't know if it's allowed here but feel free to pm.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England

All responses had been constructive, just your actions hadn’t been up until this point. You shouldn’t have delayed in contacting eBay regarding this issue. Particularly upon discovering it was a “stolen” device.

Here’s hoping you see this resolved and remember not to purchase something such as a top end smartphone from eBay and always be cautious when you purchase anything on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.