Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
They look beautiful!

fact they using boe screens potentially no pwm as that company doesnt use pwm usually

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Yeah, it’s super depressing seeing all these cool phones come out while knowing you can’t use any of them :confused:

I’d be really shocked if the 12 doesn’t have PWM though. Is it true that BOE doesn’t usually use it? How do they handle the brightness if they don’t use PWM?

Reactions: Jimmy James

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Maybe the change to SuperRetina XDR makes it better? It is not that it uses PWM, it is the low frequency. Maybe they upped it (here’s hoping).

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If they could at least use high frequency pwm that would eliminate issues for the majority of people having difficulty with them. Not hopeful about either high frequency pwm or constant current screens.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
People have pwm to high frequency aswell
While it’s far from being a large sample size or scientific, there were a fair amount of members who, while not being able to use the X or XS series without symptoms, found the 11 series oled displays to be tolerable. Several prominent bloggers mentioned this as well. So while just a slight 30 point increase, it was enough to help some. Perhaps that will be the case again and allow even more users to become symptom free.

Reactions: saintforlife

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
While it’s far from being a large sample size or scientific, there were a fair amount of members who, while not being able to use the X or XS series without symptoms, found the 11 series oled displays to be tolerable. Several prominent bloggers mentioned this as well. So while just a slight 30 point increase, it was enough to help some. Perhaps that will be the case again and allow even more users to become symptom free.
Yup, I noticed this as well. I tried the Pro Max & it was definitely better than previous OLED models (Though still bad enough that I returned it).

I’m decently hopeful that Apple will increase the Hz rate this year, esp. since they didn’t introduce any LCD models. If they’re gonna force OLED on us, the least they can do is make it more tolerable, right? ;)

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington

I wonder how soon we will be able to see data on the PWM frequency on these? Do testers get their hands on these devices before release day?

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I wonder how soon we will be able to see data on the PWM frequency on these? Do testers get their hands on these devices before release day?
That’s a great question and one I’m not sure the answer to given how things are with Covid and a staggered release. I’m also curious how long before someone actually tests the pwm since it seems to be a hot topic here in the forums but not as much in the real world.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
That’s a great question and one I’m not sure the answer to given how things are with Covid and a staggered release. I’m also curious how long before someone actually tests the pwm since it seems to be a hot topic here in the forums but not as much in the real world.
Notebookcheck always tests for PWM, and they usually post reviews pretty quickly after the launch date. I think we’ll know the PWM around late Oct, depending on when they post it.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Indeed, in reality we know it is a miniscule number of people who are affected- or at least who know what it is and know why they are having eye strain/headaches.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Love the phones - scared for the PWM. I really may have to wait until micro LED is ready. 2022? ?

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Complete anecdotal non scientific post here. I suffer from PWM. I figured this out when I purchased an XS two years ago and had to return it back to my local Apple Stores within 48 hours due to splitting headaches.

My wife just took advantage of the $800 trade in promo on her XR and got an iPhone 12. I just set it up and activated it for her, and I swear within 1 minute of using the phone, I could feel eye-strain/headache brewing.

As I noted, this is just my experience, and only for a very short period of time, but from that short amount of time I spent using it, it appears (AT LEAST FOR ME) that the PWM mess has not been solved or cared for on the new line of iPhone 12’s, at least at my level PWN sensitivity (which I assume is high), which is HUGELY DISAPPOINTING to me as there appears to be no future phone upgrade path for me.

I will continue to monitor the forums here over the coming days and weeks, and I hope that others may have better experiences with the iPhone 12 OLED screens than me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.