Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I upgraded to a iPhone 15 Pro from my iPhone 13 Pro. If it were not for my carrier offering a significant trade in value I would not have upgraded. There is nothing in the iPhone 15 that is a compelling upgrade that would warrant the full cost of the device.

My case. Everyone else's case is different.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I upgraded from 12 Pro (that overheated and battery was at 82%) to a 15 pro. The battery life sucked the first 6 days, but has gotten better since. It overheats after being on a charger or being used to speak on for 15 minutes or more. The screen is significantly brighter outside (big plus). Overall, if I could, I'd go back to my 12 for at least another year (I used to upgrade every year)

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I'm on the fence. My 12 Pro still works fine, the battery is a little worse than I'd want but overall it's solid. I'm really on the fence.
It is time to upgrade as changes have been accumulated since iPhone 12 was released. Try it first if you like iPhone 15 pro. If you feel it is not worth it, return it within the return period. Wish the best on your choice!😊

Scott H

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
I also have a 12 Pro and considered upgrading to the 15 Pro Max. I was disappointed that the A17 chip only had "up to a 10% performance gain" as compared to the A16. Apple also said that daily battery life was about the same as the 14 Pro Max. I'm disappointed that the new A17 on the 3nm process did not yield better performance and daily battery life. Since my 12 Pro is working so well I'll keep it at least another year.

IconDRT

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Seattle, WA
I upgraded from a 12PM to a 14PM in June. Mainly because I felt the camera upgrade was significant enough (not just another iteration of computational photography). I'm happy with the photo improvements. The Magic Island is meh. I think I prefer the notch (or no notch at all), but I do like some of the information the MI displays. However, I don't really interact with it like I thought I might given all the hype it received around launch. What really surprised me was the ProMotion display. Like some others, I thought 120Hz was no big deal just marketing fluff. Maybe it is for some people, but I really notice and prefer the higher refresh rate. All the animations and scrolling are noticeably smoother. True, if you don't know what you're missing or you are used to 60Hz, nothing wrong with that. Going back to my 12PM the display makes the phone "feel" older because of the lower refresh rate. Camera and ProMotion may not be enough for someone to upgrade, but these two things made it worth it for me. I usually keep phones for a minimum of 2 years before upgrading, but with the 14PM I will likely go for a longer refresh cycle.

What I miss about the 12PM: The 12PM is noticeably lighter than the 14PM. Not enough for me to go back to 12PM, but iPhones are getting heftier (until 15PM). Also, the camera bump is getting obscenely large. Makes the 14PM feel "top heavy" to me and just looks borderline ridiculous. And I thought the 12PM camera bump was bad. Having said that, I'm begrudgingly living with the 14PM camera bump because of the improved camera performance. The other thing I miss is the physical SIM. I've adjusted to life without the physical SIM. I don't travel so much or require a physical SIM on the fly. I did have to change from Ting Mobile for my second number because for some reason they don't support eSIM (even though Boost Mobile supports eSIM and DISH owns Boost and Ting - I went with US Mobile for my second number).

Lastly for what I do on a phone, I don't notice a difference in performance, so the CPU and Memory updates don't really matter much to me at the moment, although I'm happy to have the upgraded components.

After all this blabbing, bottom line: Improved display (ProMotion and Always On) and camera (48MP and computational improvements) led to me upgrading my 12PM to 14PM. I miss the 12PM lighter weight, physical SIM, and smaller camera bump, but wasn't enough to keep me on the 12PM for another year. If I hadn't updated to the 14PM this summer, I'd likely upgrade to the 15PM which has all the 14PM benefits plus USB-C and comparable in weight to the 12PM.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
To op:
No one can convince you to upgrade or not. Thats your decision.
As time goes resale value of 12 pro will diminish just as its battery life. Mine was 88 percent after 2 years. Another year would require probably a battery exchange. But why invest in depreciating gear while you can upgrade to more modern hardware not necessarily 15 but maybe 14 pro as well. This way you keep good resale value and ready for next upgrade in few years. I am thinking of keeping 15 pro for another few years and it still will have good value then unlike 12 which will be ancient then.

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I'm on the fence. My 12 Pro still works fine, the battery is a little worse than I'd want but overall it's solid. I'm really on the fence.
Do your self a favor and keep your 12Pro. Hold on to that SIM as long as possible. There are some crazy time ahead of us ALL. CBDC is bondage to the government...

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
All I can speak to is the 15 Pro Max coming from a 14 Pro, and IMO the 15 PM is a great upgrade.

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
I’m still using a XS. Year after year nothing is enticing to feel a need for an upgrade. Nothing to feel much of a difference in day to day usage. It handles all my tasks fine. However I think this may be the last iOS for my device so I may upgrade to the 16 next year myself!

Reactions: AdamInKent

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Upgraded from a 12 Pro Max. The new cameras, always on display, Dynamic Island, ProMotion, more powerful A17 chip, 8 GB RAM make it an excellent upgrade

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I am still using a 12 pro max as the iphone 15 pro max does not interest me. However if you like larger and brighter displays like myself next years model is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.