Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
After reading some threads on good Mac games, there were some where people couldn't play because they have an Intel Mac and can't use Classic.

So, what golden oldies to check out while I still can?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
try insidemacgames.com for reviews of games.

One fun game I can suggest is Stubbs the Zombie. It works in 10.4 with PPC.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Well I'm specifically looking for the ones 'before my time', those that would be considered abandomware.

Btw, I already played Marathon, it made me sick :D

edit: Stubbs has a demo, checking out tonight!

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Total Annihilation, MechWarrior 2, Myth I, 1st two Escape Velocity games...well - if you have OS 9 bootable. Most OS 9 games don't work under Classic, even though it's ostensibly the same thing.

If you have OS X on PPC, there are tons and tons and tons of games. Insidemacgames is one place to look (everything before 2006 pretty much was PPC).

Another is the Universal Binary game guide here on MR. If a game is noted as not playing nice on Intel, that effectively means it's good on PPC. Tron 2.0 may be one such. Bottom line, there are plenty of modern & "pretty" games that work on PPC.

But good luck with Stubbs the Zombie unless you have a G5 + big graphics card.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Thanks for all these suggestions!

I already have some OS X games, which I love to play. Just wondering about the Classic stuff here. Thanks for your list, I will check out some after work.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/212/snood

also works for intel, but this game is quite old, but addictive

Cleared in the first go!

snood.png

I never, ever, want to play this game again. It would suck out any time I have.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I also still have a PowerPC Mac.

The games I play are Doom 3, CoD 2, UT 2004, Quake 4, etc.
... and anxiously waiting for Colin McRae 2005... :rolleyes:

savvos

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
Space Rogue, Scarab of Ra, Realmz

Try to find the Macintoch Garden (I'm not sure of the URL right now - it used to be hosted by Home of the Underdogs). It's a Mecca of pre-OSX abandonware, and everything is rated by the users. Some stuff will need an emulator to run System 6, though.

If you want to go really old school, Scarab of Ra was written in the 80s and it still runs in Classic. Pretty impressive. Realmz is a classic RPG and you can get a demo from Fantasoft's website. There are also all the Sim games. I like Sim Ant's kooky fun. Quest for Glory was another neat little game.

For mindless fun, there's always Unicycle.

If you get an emulator to run System 6.0, definitely try out Space Rogue. It has amazing depth and great space battles for a game that ran on a Mac Classic.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Unreal

First person shooter, some cool weapons. Really great graphics for its time. OSX port doesn't have music and is buggy. Plays fine under classic.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
As usual, we should clarify that OS 9 is not the same thing as Classic, and most games that work great under 9 natively crash terribly under Classic on OS X.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As usual, we should clarify that OS 9 is not the same thing as Classic, and most games that work great under 9 natively crash terribly under Classic on OS X.

Dues Ex plays fine under Classic. Not sure about Unreal.

Have not experienced any memorable crashes under Classic.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex all run very well under Classic mode. Just disable or remap your expose keys so you don't accidently make the game swoosh out.

Unreal and UT can be played natively in OS X, Unreal with a bit of a hack but it works. The site appears to be down now for some reason...

There is also a total conversion mod of Marathon for UT.

Hapa Hanu

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2006
Red Faction is a great game to play, either single player or online multiplayer. There is an update available for version 1.2 for OS 9 and OS X.

It is the custom maps that make RF so endearing, instructions here. Well that and the Geo Modding. :cool:

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Most OS 9 games don't work under Classic, even though it's ostensibly the same thing.

Most OS 9 games do work under Classic. I have about 100, and about 85 of them work. (And about 80 work well; a few have various glitches but are still playable.)

--Eric

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Most OS 9 games do work under Classic. I have about 100, and about 85 of them work. (And about 80 work well; a few have various glitches but are still playable.)

--Eric

Are you running some different, special version of Classic? Most everything I have refused to start at all (and actually worked better - not much - under Sheepshaver!) MW2, Duke 3D, Myth I, Total Annihilation - all blecch. Only Civ II launched & was actually stable.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Are you running some different, special version of Classic? Most everything I have refused to start at all (and actually worked better - not much - under Sheepshaver!) MW2, Duke 3D, Myth I, Total Annihilation - all blecch. Only Civ II launched & was actually stable.

You need to update OS9 to 9.2.2.

I don't recall any games not working in Classic with the latest OS9.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
You need to update OS9 to 9.2.2.

I don't recall any games not working in Classic with the latest OS9.

Mine is of course 9.2.2 (the version that existed solely to run Classic on OS X). Nothing works under it except Civ II. My G4 is not a dual-boot model; I assume you're talking about running under Classic proper, not as a dual-boot.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
I'm talking about Classic here indeed. That's what I'll miss when going to Intel.

There are some nice suggestions but what I'm looking for are those really pretty old games. From the DOS era, but then on Mac ;)

Retired
May 16, 2006
I'm talking about Classic here indeed. That's what I'll miss when going to Intel.

There are some nice suggestions but what I'm looking for are those really pretty old games. From the DOS era, but then on Mac ;)

Sheepshaver lets you use OS9 apps...but you need access to a PPC Mac for the installation :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.