Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Hey all, I have an iPad 4 with 6.1.3 the iPad is fine should I update to ips 7 and is 7 better then 6 thanks

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey all, I have an iPad 4 with 6.1.3 the iPad is fine should I update to ips 7 and is 7 better then 6 thanks
It's really up to you to decide, and there's certainly quite a bit of information online reviewing iOS 7 and comparing it to iOS 6 to help you with that decision. That said, iOS 8 is going to be here in a few weeks, so something else to think about. Beyond that, at the very least, iOS 6.1.3 has some well known security issues in it, so there's more support for updating at least based on that.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My girlfriend is still having problems with iOS 7 on her 4s. I don't know what your situation will be, but there's still a non-zero chance it won't be good.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
ios 7 runs great on the ipad 4 but ios 8 is more resource demanding. I suggest you update to ios 7.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Keep your iPad 4 on iOS 6. Please. Your iPad will perform better: faster and more fluid navigation, faster app loading times, emits less heat while running, less lag, and more apps are held in memory because of more available RAM in iOS 6.

Updating your iPad to iOS 7 or 8 will be a major hit to every aspect of your iPad's performance. The only positives of updating your device (which IMHO are not worth it to decrease performance of a $500 device): Several iOS 7 & 8 features added (useful for some, but IMHO not worth the performance hit), FaceTime works (you can use Skype instead if you want), and a few security issues are fixed (but iOS 6 is still very secure, iOS in general has always been extremely secure).

The above can be applied to all iOS devices. Right now, with the innovation in mobile software which requires more hardware resources every year, by far the best option for performance is to keep your device on the iOS release it came with. This keeps your device performing at its best, and it will always perform like new.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Keep your iPad 4 on iOS 6. Please. Your iPad will perform better: faster and more fluid navigation, faster app loading times, emits less heat while running, less lag, and more apps are held in memory because of more available RAM in iOS 6.

Updating your iPad to iOS 7 or 8 will be a major hit to every aspect of your iPad's performance. The only positives of updating your device (which IMHO are not worth it to decrease performance of a $500 device): Several iOS 7 & 8 features added (useful for some, but IMHO not worth the performance hit), FaceTime works (you can use Skype instead if you want), and a few security issues are fixed (but iOS 6 is still very secure, iOS in general has always been extremely secure).

The above can be applied to all iOS devices. Right now, with the innovation in mobile software which requires more hardware resources every year, by far the best option for performance is to keep your device on the iOS release it came with. This keeps your device performing at its best, and it will always perform like new.
It won't be a major hit, although it might not be exactly as fast/smooth as iOS 6. That said, leaving it on an old version won't be like new given that there are aexueity holes present, affected functionality that doesn't work because of that, apps that no longer get updates and new apps or new versions that can't be installed. So certainly a good amount to consider.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I held onto iOS 6.1.2 on iPad 4 and iPhone 5. Upgraded both devices to iOS 7.1.2 two days ago, reasoning that after Wed 09/17, iOS 7 may not be available and my iPhone 5 might not digest iOS 8 as well as I'd like it to (lowest/oldest device on the compatibility list) and then I'd be stuck without options.

Both devices are just fine with iOS 7.1.2 and I have no battery complaints, either.

The only difference that I've found is that pressing the Home button to return to your first screen isn't smooth like iOS 6 was. But heck, it still works fine.

You might also consider my reasons.

Last edited:

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009

This is sound advice, I have an iphone 4 & 5 on ios 6, the 5 is as fast as it was when I got it, and the battery life is still good. The 4, while slower still works good as an ipod. I am trading the 4 in for an iphone 6 and will use the 5 as an ipod and get it unlocked . I may even get a 5s and leave that on ios7.

My ipad air is on 7, I think I'll leave it on 7.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Hello my mom has the 4s with iOS 6 on it still and since iOS 8 got released today she missed out on iOS7. Will she still be fine with 6 or is apple eventually going to cut her off? Thank you

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Hello my mom has the 4s with iOS 6 on it still and since iOS 8 got released today she missed out on iOS7. Will she still be fine with 6 or is apple eventually going to cut her off? Thank you

Do not update to iOS 8 with iPhone 4S. You can update to 7.1.2 by downloading an IPSW and then shift+updating. Also, if she does choose to get iOS 8, it will be the last update she will receive.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Do not update to iOS 8 with iPhone 4S. You can update to 7.1.2 by downloading an IPSW and then shift+updating. Also, if she does choose to get iOS 8, it will be the last update she will receive.

Whats IPSW? Would I update over the air or iTunes?

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I'm still on iOS6 on a 4s and iPad 3.

I've had degrading battery life since last fall on the phone, and spring for the iPad (pretty much as soon as they hit 2 years old). I was able to get a new battery for the phone but Apple didn't feel the iPad had a bad one. They insisted I should wipe clean and restore, then upgrade to 7. I really don't like the look of 7 so I've procrastinated (and didn't realize 8 was out TODAY!)

Battery life on the phone is improved but not as good as it was. iPad is still horrible. It overheats and drains in a night.

Should I upgrade to 7 today? I haven't gotten the push to 8 yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.