Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I must admit that I am deeply regretted that I opted for mat Black iPhone 7 4 years ago. However, I just got a like new iPhone 7 Jet Black 128GB from eBay.

I must say, Jet Black iPhone 7 is THE most beautiful iPhone ever designed by Apple. The front glass met the back cover so nicely. It is true uniform design.

I cannot stress enough how much I love this design. I think nothing comes close to Jet Black iPhone 7.

The iPhone 7 still performs beautifully with iOS 14. I am retiring my iPhone 11 due to mandatory mask law. I am using 2020 iPhone SE and the Jet Black iPhone 7 as my daily driver.

I love iPhone 7. Hopefully this phone will get support for next few years.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've got one and in my opinion it's a lame color. Everything is black. At first glance it's hard to tell which side is up, where's the home button and what is what. It's all camouflage in black.
Of all my iPhones I've owned over the years, the jet black color is my least favorite. Yeah it looks neat sitting on a table as a black slab, but other than that instance, I think it's lame.

• Haha
Reactions: aParkerMusic

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas
8D440C1D-E8EA-4905-9929-108EB94F7A8C.jpeg

This is how it looks after all scrched up. Which is pretty easily.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I must admit that I am deeply regretted that I opted for mat Black iPhone 7 4 years ago. However, I just got a like new iPhone 7 Jet Black 128GB from eBay.

I must say, Jet Black iPhone 7 is THE most beautiful iPhone ever designed by Apple. The front glass met the back cover so nicely. It is true uniform design.

I cannot stress enough how much I love this design. I think nothing comes close to Jet Black iPhone 7.

The iPhone 7 still performs beautifully with iOS 14. I am retiring my iPhone 11 due to mandatory mask law. I am using 2020 iPhone SE and the Jet Black iPhone 7 as my daily driver.

I love iPhone 7. Hopefully this phone will get support for next few years.

I still have my apple 7 plus jet black, true it still works great, looks are great.
View attachment 965331
This is how it looks after all scrched up. Which is pretty easily.

Mine is in very good condition but i like when people squeeze all the juice out from their products. I was not using the case most of the time because of it's unique color.

Attachments

• 20201011_225828.jpg
    20201011_225828.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 445

PeterG727

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2020
I was into that color till I realised how easily it scratches with that metal design. Apple hasn't created anything similar to this with glass, sticking to space grey instead, which I thought looks dull in comparison. We need a true deep black like the jet black look back along with stainless steel sides.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I was into that color till I realised how easily it scratches with that metal design. Apple hasn't created anything similar to this with glass, sticking to space grey instead, which I thought looks dull in comparison. We need a true deep black like the jet black look back along with stainless steel sides.

This iphone gets very hot specially if there are some backgroud app running or the camera app recording video. So i talked to apple and they told me it is because of the materials used in jet black that is making it hot. Probably thats why apple is no longer making jet black models.

• Haha
Reactions: MrKennedy

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This iphone gets very hot specially if there are some backgroud app running or the camera app recording video. So i talked to apple and they told me it is because of the materials used in jet black that is making it hot. Probably thats why apple is no longer making jet black models.
Lol, talk about making stuff up. I expect your Jet Black iPhone 7 doesn't heat up any worse compared to other iPhone 7s when running the same tasks. Granted, perhaps the highly polished surface makes heat transfer from the phone to your hand more efficient (less air gap).

Reactions: MrKennedy

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I’m going to have to disagree. The 6S plus in space gray was the best looking.
Not sure if you are joking. But having a space gray 6s myself and coming from HTC One m7, I really tried to hide those ugly antenna lines. But I don't regret buying it, it is running better than ever (except ios 14 + covid-19 is draining battery). Transparancy of my cover has reduced with time, so it doesn't really matter anymore. But getting rid of those ugly lines, was the only thing I really envyed on iphone 7. And I still prefer metal over glas, so 7 is the sweetspot of the ip6 - 2020 SE design in my mind.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I think that the 7’s jet black finish was the nadir of Jony Ive’s time at Apple (along with the MacBook designs that necessitated the butterfly keyboard).

And that there was a good reason why it never carried through to the 8 and to the XR etc.

it’s true that there are products made where the patina becomes part of the product and makes it more desirable - think of 30-40 year old Rolex watches with a faded ‘tropical’ look. Ive was obviously inspired by that (and to make a beautiful design museum ‘display glass’ product ie look but don’t touch).

However, Ive and Apple must’ve known that the vast majority of people buying the jet black 7 would NOT be that happy with ‘micro abrasions’ appearing in the first few days of useful their $750+ product.

And that most people are not going to appreciate a patina on a product with 5 years maximum intended lifespan ie different to a Rolex which has a ‘lifetime’ intended ownership.

It’s an interesting perspective that you have, OP & glad you enjoy the finish!

P.S. former matt black iPhone 7 user here (I liked the finish) so the criticism here wasn’t motivated by my own experience!

Reactions: alejandrooo

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I think that the 7’s jet black finish was the nadir of Jony Ive’s time at Apple (along with the MacBook designs that necessitated the butterfly keyboard).

And that there was a good reason why it never carried through to the 8 and to the XR etc.

it’s true that there are products made where the patina becomes part of the product and makes it more desirable - think of 30-40 year old Rolex watches with a faded ‘tropical’ look. Ive was obviously inspired by that (and to make a beautiful design museum ‘display glass’ product ie look but don’t touch).

However, Ive and Apple must’ve known that the vast majority of people buying the jet black 7 would NOT be that happy with ‘micro abrasions’ appearing in the first few days of useful their $750+ product.

And that most people are not going to appreciate a patina on a product with 5 years maximum intended lifespan ie different to a Rolex which has a ‘lifetime’ intended ownership.

It’s an interesting perspective that you have, OP & glad you enjoy the finish!

P.S. former matt black iPhone 7 user here (I liked the finish) so the criticism here wasn’t motivated by my own experience!

The iPhone 7 Jet Black is probably the ultimate iPhone 6 series designed that Apple wants.

It is true deep black, the front black glass and Jet Black back cover met seamlessly. It is true unibody design.

Reactions: redbeard331

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
I really like the design of the Jet Black 7 but in general I tend to always prefer in the long run matte finishes rather than flashy/shiny. Even without considering the easy scratches, I found the matte black even more appealing. I feel like I'm the only one here ! ?

mainelyme

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2017
I love glossy finishes and jet black was the color I really wanted when I first bought a 7 Plus. They just weren’t available at the time.

Earlier this year I gave away my XS Max and bought a secondhand jet black 7 Plus from Woot.com. I love it! Widest screen per unit weight: 188 g, the same as the smaller 11 Pro. It came pre-scuffed, and, since it’s older and cheaper, I don’t worry about it like I would a newer phone. It does not live in a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.