Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

555gallardo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Slovakia
First of all, I want to say that I'm a pretty huge Apple fan. I still have (and ocassionaly use!) my iMac G4 on the table. I experienced the iPods, have three iPads on the house and right now, I'm sitting in front of my 13" MacBook Air. And of course, I experienced the iPhones as well.

But somehow, Apple recently lost the definition of Apple. For some, it's the company that makes cool and sexy products. For me, Apple is the company that taught me to pay premium for premium quality with no compromises allowed. But nowadays, it feels like the only premium that Apple has, is the pricing. I remember how back in the days was I amazed by the software support that my iPhone's got. I remember how was I laughing to Android users for the clumsiness of their phones. Today, I read forums and wait a few days before I update to next iOS version. And even then I ask myself, when would Apple fix this or that.

Maybe that's the reason why I curiously switched from iOS to Android for the first time in six years. Basically, for the first time since I bought an iPhone. Now, it's been about two weeks since I started using a Galaxy S7 edge and there's quite a few things that I like on the new phone.

1) Design – Without doubt, the design feels really fresh when compared to the design that current iPhones have. Glass on it's back reminds me of the premium design of iPhone 4, which I loved. Due to being curved, it's pushed to the limit. Actually a futuristic design I wished to see on next iPhone 7. The display feels huge to me, but I guess I would ignore this over time.

2) Camera – I study mass media and we work with cameras. On day and night. And even though iPhone is the most popular camera on Flickr, it doesn't mean it's still the best one. Since I switched to S7, I take a lot of photos at night. Whether it's the architecture or just the night sky. The pics just look nice. Also I like the RAW support and the Pro Mode that I use to take product photos for reviews etc.

3) Wireless Charging – Once you go Qi, cable's not thy. Basically, having your phone on a wireless charging station is more comfortable than having to put the cable in. You keep your phone there when you're not using it and then you take it away when you need it. Though I don't like to use it at night since the charging stand has a noisy fan in it (active only when charging).

4) Apple Music – Yes. When you switch from iOS to Android, you just have to take your music library with yourself.

5) iCloud Mail – What I was surprised by, was the fact that I could load my iCloud Mail to the phone within seconds just by using my login credentials in the pre-loaded Mail app.

6) Contactless Payments in Europe – The problem with Apple Pay is, that you can use it only in supported countries. My country's unfortunately not, which is why I couldn't use that feature in here. Switching to Android was basically the only way to get this feature up and running. Took few hours to get it set by the bank but then I got the ability to pay with my phone on any NFC terminal in the country.

Basically, it feels to me that on some of the cases, an Android phone might just really be more useful than an iPhone. Even though you lose useful things like Continuity/Handoff or long-term software support.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
I did for many of the same reasons. Using an Android phone with a MacBook and iPad works much more smoothly than it did a few years back.

Reactions: burgman

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
@555gallardo
I am really happy for you that you enjoy your new phone.
Nonetheless, Relentless Power most probably is right. I have been there, done that. The euphoria of novelty will disappear and reality will take its place.
for some it does but who's to say apple get their behind in gear?

i'm selling my 6s plus for the note 7 but sure i could get the next iphone in 2017 or even this year if it shocks the world. I don't see myself a person who sticks to one platform. That said i think the iphone would need to seriously catch up and quick for me to return anytime soon. As I really want to stick to one phone

I perfer samsung for my phone but apple for my tablet. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: Oohara

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
You handled iOS for six years? I couldn't even last three years with it. My patience from Apple restrictions didn't last long. I need a versatile OS and Android has been the only answer for me.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
i dont remember that id have used those features after tried them.

I've used Handoff maybe 10 times since buying a new MBP one year ago. AirDrop I've used successfully maybe twice, but I've spent hours on forums trying to find out how to get it to work. Not to mention the many headaches I've got with iMessage failing to deliver messages, especially abroad when without an internet connection. And messages sent from my Apple Watch get delivered more often than I win the national lottery.

Some of Apples slick functionality is great and really just works, but much of it honestly works only on paper.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've used Handoff maybe 10 times since buying a new MBP one year ago. AirDrop I've used successfully maybe twice, but I've spent hours on forums trying to find out how to get it to work. Not to mention the many headaches I've got with iMessage failing to deliver messages, especially abroad when without an internet connection. And messages sent from my Apple Watch get delivered more often than I win the national lottery.

Some of Apples slick functionality is great and really just works, but much of it honestly works only on paper.
Never failed to get airdrop working dozens of times. Couldn't be easier to get working. Same with iMessage, don't have issues with it even when the connection is spotty it's still manages to deliver.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I use Continuity and Handoff all of the time--at least a few times a day. I've had some finicky issues with AirDrop on occasion--usually when interacting between a Mac and a mobile device but turning wifi/BT off and on usually resolves the issue. Using between mobile devices (iPhone/iPad) however has been next to flawless---a great feature to have in a family full of Apple hardware.

I also rarely if ever have issues with Messages across all of my devices (1 phone, 2 iPads, 2 Macs, Apple Watch)--no syncing issues or delays. In fact, I often get the message a split second earlier on my iPads than my iPhone. I guess I'm lucky too in that anytime I switch back to my Nexus 6P, don't have the unfortunately too common 'lost messages' issues. And other than being a bit slow on occasion, I usually can send messages dictated to my Apple Watch without incident. I've learned that even though sometimes the screen may show it's thinking, I just keep talking and it just catches up before I send. Really looking forward to the speed improvements with watchOS 3.0.

555gallardo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Slovakia

Never had this problem with Continuity, though I used it ocassionally and mainly with the Messages app. Also, no problem with AirDrop, the only device that didn't work well since day one was my first iPad mini.

f0ku5

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2014
I'm on the same boat as many of you. I've been using iPhones since 5, I had newest rMBP (Mid-2015) and an iPad Air. I can say that I've been deeply rooted into Apple ecosystem.
Let's just say that I'm currently building my PC from scratch, I bought Galaxy S7 yesterday and also I sold my iPad because I can't find any use for it anymore.

I don't know if I will back to Apple ecosystem anytime in the future, but now I'm completely shocked by how much Android has grown up in the past years.

Reactions: rbrian and Demo Kit

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
im on the edge now... since i ditched my android phone almost a year ago phone i have been using "only" ios for a year daily (sometimes android too). what i really miss are handy features like nfc functionalities: nfc tags, triggers and able to read my travel card for example... then trusted places to unlock my devices.

there are so many things i can do with android but restricted in ios that im not sure should i complete ditch ios - it feels like a dinosaur. with atv i cannot use skype/browser for example, with ios i cant use a bt mouse (e.g. airplaying my screen to the tv and then using a bt keyboard, but i still need to reach my phone to navigate).

ios feels like it never grows up - it always stays in babyshoes - doing the basic thing but that's all. i wonder if ios even could handle more complex tasks.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I didn't say I never intend to come back to iOS. At some point in future it might happen. Only time will tell.
i purchased a Nexus 6p to see how Android has changed lately and to try Project Fi. while Project Fi didn't work out for me, the 6p with Android 7.0 is now my phone, sold my 6s plus. Operating systems have matured, me like many others, have devices running several of them. because of this i have trended to supporting apps and companies that work across all of them. Microsoft, Google, Spotify works well for me. Apple, well Itunes on windows sucks, Apple music on Android works well but why do I have to pay for Apple Music to listen to music i own? Google services on Windows isn't great but far better than Apple. Choice has become more important to me than pretty icons and emoji's

Reactions: arkitect

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I switched to BB10 this past year and haven't missed iOS even once.

Which seemed odd, I thought I might miss SOMETHING, but no, nada.

App support is something I have missed though. I'm going to be trying an S5/Marshmallow soon as my daily driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.