Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattL2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2023
Hello! First post here. I wanted to upgrade my 7th gen (or maybe it's a 6th gen?) ipod with an iFlash MicdoSD card adapter and a new battery.

After watching hours of YouTube videos and buying some spludgers and pry-tools, I did my best but the photos below will show what happened. First off, an orange cable seems to have torn. The missing segment was stuck to the battery I removed. What is this piece called so I can try to get a replacement?

Second, what the hell is this little thing I found loose inside? Is it important/necessary? Is it something I can replace relatively easily? Thanks all.

IMG_4301.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4303.JPG
    IMG_4303.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4304.JPG
    IMG_4304.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4305.JPG
    IMG_4305.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4306.JPG
    IMG_4306.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 49

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
The following ifixit guide might be useful for you and there's a list of parts. The photos will open in a new window and you can zoom in on them-

The reference number 821-0690 shows that it's the headphone jack and hold switch cable. You can find it here-

Here's how to replace it-

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
That lose part looks like this (ringed on the pic). It looks like it's a connector that the small flex cable plugs into but you've pulled the connector off the pcb. Have a look on your pcb to see if it's missing.

ipod 6th gen pcb.jpg

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
The connector is shown here and you will need some soldering skills to replace it, or it's probably best to have it fixed, if it's worth it-

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
That loos part looks like the battery connector. A tricky soldering job to replace. I had one repaired by an Ebay seller called 'portlander'. I sent the logic board and it was returned within a week.

MattL2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2023
Hi all, thanks for replies. The loose connector is in fact the battery connector. I would need to replace the logic board as I don't have faith in my ability to soldier something so tiny. And as far as the headphone/hold switch cable, that can also be replaced.

However... My dad was kind enough to give me his old ipod (same model) for a second try and I was much more careful with that one. I used the Xacto knife method demonstrated in some YouTube videos. I got it open and removed the battery without damaging anything!

Reactions: AJB1971

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Hi all, thanks for replies. The loose connector is in fact the battery connector. I would need to replace the logic board as I don't have faith in my ability to soldier something so tiny. And as far as the headphone/hold switch cable, that can also be replaced.

However... My dad was kind enough to give me his old ipod (same model) for a second try and I was much more careful with that one. I used the Xacto knife method demonstrated in some YouTube videos. I got it open and removed the battery without damaging anything!
Good job! I recently did a couple of iPod Classic mods. I used to do iPod repair back when it was relevant, and I even ripped the same cable you did on my most recent mod. Things happen — and it’s a much lesser deal when it’s an old device with cheap replacement parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.