Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christall109

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
1. Would it be possible to program my Comcast Universal Remote to work with it, instead of using the Apple Remote?

2. We just got a brand new 1080p LG HDTV, does the :apple:TV even output 1080p?

Thanks guys.

christall109

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
What do you mean by "learning remote"? If you mean that I can enter a code,like I did with by tv, for functionality than yes. Do you know the code for it?

Thanks for the quick response.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What do you mean by "learning remote"? If you mean that I can enter a code,like I did with by tv, for functionality than yes. Do you know the code for it?

Thanks for the quick response.

No. A learning remote can "copy" the commands from your original remote to the universal remote. It's unlikely that the codes will be in a non-learning remote.

B

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
1. Would it be possible to program my Comcast Universal Remote to work with it, instead of using the Apple Remote?

2. We just got a brand new 1080p LG HDTV, does the :apple:TV even output 1080p?

Thanks guys.

1. No. There is a 3rd party remote control (Harmony, made by Logitech) that will function as a Universal Remote and Apple TV remote. The Apple TV remote is a non-standard remote in that buttons are time-sensitive, etc. I don't find it that much of an inconvenience -- certainly not enough to spend lots of $ replacing those 2 remotes with a Harmony.

2. I own a 57" Samsung DLP 1080p, and my Apply TV outputs 1080p signals to it. No problems. Be aware, though, that standard definition movies and such are simply upconverted and look little better than any 480p source.

You choices in setup on the Apple TV include 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I purchased a ~$25 learning remote from Amazon to replace five different remotes including AppleTV with just one. No need to go all the way to Harmony prices even though I am sure Harmony could provide more functions with more elegance.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-Universal...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213304972&sr=1-41

Apple remote is not time sensitive. AppleTV responds differently the longer you keep pressing a buttin, but the remote itself seems quite basic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.