Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
since 2.0, i haven't been chomping at the bit to get a 3g, my current iphone isnt chop liver, and im not really gaining much, 8gb more isnt a lot, same crappy camera, and i can run all the stuff it can except GPS features. i think i will wait for a 32gb version, so who else is going to wait too?

FaustArp

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
since 2.0, i haven't been chomping at the bit to get a 3g, my current iphone isnt chop liver, and im not really gaining much, 8gb more isnt a lot, same crappy camera, and i can run all the stuff it can except GPS features. i think i will wait for a 32gb version, so who else is going to wait too?

(chirp chirp chirp..)

CourtneyA1

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Orange County, CA
I'm waiting.....until Sunday when my Sprint contract expires. I waited in line last year and bought a friend a phone. I had 2 lines for ETF's to wait to expire. Can't wait.

iPhonedHome

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Dallas
i'm waiting for more than just more capacity

If I don't take the plunge in the next several weeks after all this ca-ca settles down, this will be the reason.

Sure 3G and GPS is nice, but I don't travel that much so I'm not on the internets constantly. Folks that held out buying the 1st gen iPhone are as excited as we were last year. Me .. not so much. If you already have a 1 gen iPhone, was/is 3G and GPS enough to push you over the top? Me... not so much.

If it wasn't for the wifey wanting one, I would no doubt be waiting for the 3rd Gen iPhone. If I can find a reasonably priced 1st gen that's exactly what I'm getting her.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
If I don't take the plunge in the next several weeks after all this ca-ca settles down, this will be the reason.

Sure 3G and GPS is nice, but I don't travel that much so I'm not on the internets constantly. Folks that held out buying the 1st gen iPhone are as excited as we were last year. Me .. not so much. If you already have a 1 gen iPhone, was/is 3G and GPS enough to push you over the top? Me... not so much.

If it wasn't for the wifey wanting one, I would no doubt be waiting for the 3rd Gen iPhone. If I can find a reasonably priced 1st gen that's exactly what I'm getting her.

bought a new one for 300
and am selling my old one to some guy on craigslist for 350......
why WOULDNT I upgrade? i make 50 bucks
and the 10 more a month isnt a big deal for me

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
bought a new one for 300
and am selling my old one to some guy on craigslist for 350......
why WOULDNT I upgrade? i make 50 bucks
and the 10 more a month isnt a big deal for me

the bite will be next year though when the third gen iphone is out and you can't get the subsidized price because you got it this year....and i assure everyone they'll add more than speed, gps and a headphone jack done right to that one!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm waiting with you. Since the GPS can't do all that my car's unit does, how much better is it than the geotagging I already get from this? It knows my city, so that does fine for all the other apps that need it.

3G is also hardly everywhere, even around a major city. I'm waiting until they get their network more spread out before getting jipped out of another $10/month (and not having any free texts...seriously, WTF?)

8GB is kinda limited, but I've learned to deal with it. As you said, another 8 is hardly worth the $300 (plus extra $10/month). I may wait for 64GB, depending on how long that is. Pandora and MLB At Bat work on EDGE, so it's not a worthless POS by far.

By this time next year, they should upgrade the processing power and/or battery life of the unit. I didn't notice processing power until...I...tried...to...install...apps. Can they fit a Core2Duo in there??? :)

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
Oh nooes we got people talking themselves out of getting one...but come on everybody who is getting one now...will be getting the thirdgeneration Iphone when it comes out next summer..Remember phones like TVs and Stereos and Computers, come out with new models every year.

So you can wait and wait and wait...and you will never buy one if you keep waiting for something that is better.

cbruce76

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
I'm not getting one because the cost factor is too much on my Grad Student budget. If I was working, I'd probably get it. Regardless, I think the next model will be a variation on the current version, a mini iPhone perhaps?

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Waiting, too

I am not "trying" to talk myself out of purchasing a 3G iPhone. I am fortunate that $15.00 extra for data/texts is not a deal breaker. So far, all of my interaction with AT&T have been positive, and I totally enjoy my Apple products, including EDGE gen iPhone, so issues there either:D.

However, I was not pleased with the plastic case. EDGE is not as slow as I previously thought, and I have a GPS unit that works great, so the two most compelling reasons for an upgrade, for most 1st gen users who switched to 3G, meant nothing to me.

I have also had no problems with 2.0 firmware (maybe because I waited until this morning, and the download went flawlessly and completed with 35 minutes). I bought Super Monkey Ball, and got a few free apps, and everything is working perfectly, with no lags or crashes.

Now, in view of the foregoing, why would I need to purchase a 3G phone?

Jude

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I'm thinking about waiting until they have a removable battery (have v1 iphone). Playing with all the apps really sucks down the juice, let alone the 3G/GPS. Why buy the new version only to have to turn off the 3G/GPS to save battery life.

Then again, I may get sucked in anyway...

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not getting one anytime soon. I'm perfectly happy with my 1st gen 16 GB iPhone. I don't need 3G- I'm in wifi 95% of the time. I don't need GPS, I have one in my car, and don't really use it very much. The Apps work just fine on my iPhone so far (even Pandora over EDGE while driving around in my car!), so unless some monumental new must-have-it App is released that needs 3G, I have no reason to upgrade at this point.

Now, when the 3rd gen iPhone comes out some time next year, I'll be taking a close look at it and will most probably get it.

I'm just glad that Apple threw us iPhone 1st generationers the 2.0 firmware bone so we can be a part of the upgrade hysteria.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I am waiting as well

I say for a few weeks, I just hope I can wait that long

I need to save some money and I wouldn't mind buying after 1-2 updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.