Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Met someone and gave them my number. One or two days later, I receive a shady iMessage, not from them, but the topic fits their work. The email address it was sent from was very bizarre. I saw I could mark it as spam and did so, which removed the message (weirdly enough it reappeared now, one week later).

The text was went to 10 numbers which were all similar to mine (and one of them was mine), so maybe it was some automatic thing, but normally, I never get spam and I don't really give my number to anyone. I just don't believe it was automatic, because the topic was linked to what the person works. Maybe they didn't write down my number well and tried all possible numbers.

I'm thinking it's either coincidence (with the person I met), or their phone is full of shady apps which have access to their contacts and therefore to my contact too, or it was them. Or maybe these apps they have only have access to the first X digits of their contacts numbers, and that's why this went to 10 similar numbers of which one was mine (as if it tried to predict numbers).

Now the problem is: Since I opened this message (but instantly deleted it), my iPhone has behaved weirdly a couple of times. When I had the camera app open, the picture from the camera was very small in a corner of the display and the rest of the display was black.

Another thing was that the volume was set to maximum and the volume bar was appearing constantly even though I didn't even press it. And then there was a few other things.

Since it all happened after I got this text, I thought I may have been hacked. I heard that sometimes it's sufficient to just open a text to get malware (there were no files or attachments in the text message).

I want to restore my iPhone but I still have pictures that I need to copy to my Mac. I'm worried they might be infected. I usually copy them to my Mac with a cable. Do I decrease the risk of transmitting diseases if I sync them to iCloud instead?

What do you guys think of all this?

I'm running iOS 15.8.

Last edited:

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I'd throw my iPhone away and buy a new one.

I actually already bought a new one :D

Copy your pictures to your Mac and then erase all content and settings on your phone and restore from back up (prior to receiving the message in question).

That's the plan, but I'm unsure about copying the pictures to the Mac. What if the pictures are infected? I don't want to infect the Mac too then. That's why I thought of maybe uploading them to iCloud, then downloading them from iCloud to my Mac. I don't know if that's safer?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I actually already bought a new one :D

That's the plan, but I'm unsure about copying the pictures to the Mac. What if the pictures are infected? I don't want to infect the Mac too then. That's why I thought of maybe uploading them to iCloud, then downloading them from iCloud to my Mac. I don't know if that's safer?
I bet money your pics are fine. More than likely, something glitched with your phone and messed up the settings. You aren't going to infect your Mac.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I bet money your pics are fine. More than likely, something glitched with your phone and messed up the settings. You aren't going to infect your Mac.

I too believe it was just a glitch and a coincidence. Those were very weird glitches, however, I believed I already knew them all.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
If you passed it to someone with an Android or Chinese phone, its entirely possible for their OS to have analysed your topic of conversation. Those phones are notorious for this and you can find all sorts of wired coincidences, and suggestions while using the OS.

About three years ago, this elderly couple I know were suspious of their Android phones and took it in to get it checked. The guy looked into it and found actual transcriptions of their conversations. They took their phones home, and smashed them to smithereens.

With Android phones, all bets are off.

Last edited:

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
If you passed it to someone with an Android or Chinese phone, its entirely possible for their OS to have analysed your topic of conversation. Those phones are notorious for this and you can find all sorts of wired coincidences, and suggestions while using the OS.

About three years ago, this elderly couple I know were suspious of their Android phones and took it in to get it checked. The guy looked into it and found actual transcriptions of their conversations. They took their phone home, and smashed them to smithereens.

With Android phones, all bets are off.

These kinds of shady links are what I’m thinking of. The person I met had an Android I believe, and they came from Ukraine, which is just like Russia known for shady things like that.

On top of that comes the lack of knowledge for technology in these societies, so people download even more shady apps on their phones, which end up being full of viruses.

And then those viruses spread on us who aren’t part of this, lol.

I hope this thing hasn’t spread in my iCloud.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
“My icloud was hacked from a text I received” come on

I read that there’s viruses (or whatever they’re called) that can be sent by text, and when you open the text you’re basically already infected!

And these Ukrainian or Russian peeps are I believe full of stuff like that, lol.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023

No, your device is fine, not to worry. But, I would start moving to a newer phone. There won't be any code execution via text, but generally, avoid clicking links in messages you receive.

“My icloud was hacked from a text I received” come on
Yeah, his phone and icloud will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
No, your device is fine, not to worry. But, I would start moving to a newer phone. There won't be any code execution via text, but just don't click on links provided in the received text.

Yeah, his phone and icloud will be fine.

Thanks, there were no links or files! And yup you’re right, I in fact bought a new phone already, so will be moving soon.

Reactions: Jay Tee

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
How many photos do you need to move? Is AirDrop an option? This way you would not have to plug in your phone into your Mac.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
These kinds of shady links are what I’m thinking of. The person I met had an Android I believe, and they came from Ukraine, which is just like Russia known for shady things like that.

On top of that comes the lack of knowledge for technology in these societies, so people download even more shady apps on their phones, which end up being full of viruses.

And then those viruses spread on us who aren’t part of this, lol.

Having used a Google Pixel 3a XL for about nine months I'll just state that while the Google Play store is no paragon of security, Google actually does try to police the submission of apps before approving them. And while you can sideload apps on Android and there are other app stores, you have to know what you're doing. You've just stated 'the lack of knowledge for technology in these societies'. So there is that.

Assuming there was a 'virus', you also then have to assume a few other things. First off, it's coming from an Android. Is that going to run on iOS? Is it a virus that can leverage vulnerabilities that allow it to get around all of Apple's security? If so, this is generally the sort of thing that is used against high value targets. Are you a high value target?

Anything is possible, but in the words of an old friend of mine, it's not probable (likely).

Lastly…do you believe that Apple's iCloud security is so bad that it would not detect a virus and stop it? Remember that iCloud exists on Apple's own servers. News that some virus was able to invade iCloud servers and romp around without being detected or prevented would rock the Apple community to the core. Customers would questions Apple's security…'Apple can't even keep their own servers secure!' would be the hue and cry. That's not good for Apple.

No. All this is just highly unlikely to be a virus and highly likely to be coincidence.

Reactions: RokinAmerica

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
How many photos do you need to move? Is AirDrop an option? This way you would not have to plug in your phone into your Mac.

Too late, I copied them, so if I’m infected I’m infected now 🙃

Have you tried just restarting the phone. Power it off and restart.

Yes that’s one of the first things I did, and I also safe restarted it or whatever it’s called, so I think it should be fine.

Some security experts once said a lot of malware, viruses or spy apps disappear just by restarting the device.

Irony defined ^^^

Your mind is very small, isn't it?

From my experience these people jailbreak their phones, download all kinds of shady stuff, gives access to their contacts, photos, etc. to all kinds of unknown apps, and yes they transport viruses.

That’s just Eastern Europe, nothing new 😂

Having used a Google Pixel 3a XL for about nine months I'll just state that while the Google Play store is no paragon of security, Google actually does try to police the submission of apps before approving them. And while you can sideload apps on Android and there are other app stores, you have to know what you're doing. You've just stated 'the lack of knowledge for technology in these societies'. So there is that.

Assuming there was a 'virus', you also then have to assume a few other things. First off, it's coming from an Android. Is that going to run on iOS? Is it a virus that can leverage vulnerabilities that allow it to get around all of Apple's security? If so, this is generally the sort of thing that is used against high value targets. Are you a high value target?

Anything is possible, but in the words of an old friend of mine, it's not probable (likely).

Lastly…do you believe that Apple's iCloud security is so bad that it would not detect a virus and stop it? Remember that iCloud exists on Apple's own servers. News that some virus was able to invade iCloud servers and romp around without being detected or prevented would rock the Apple community to the core. Customers would questions Apple's security…'Apple can't even keep their own servers secure!' would be the hue and cry. That's not good for Apple.

No. All this is just highly unlikely to be a virus and highly likely to be coincidence.

You are right. 😊

Reactions: eyoungren

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
If you’re a human rights activist and an authoritarian regime hates you, it’s possible you are a target of things like NSO Group’s Pegasus spyware.

However if you’re a normal person who’s not a target of an authoritarian regime, it’s basically impossible to hack the iPhone. Well not impossible, it just takes lots of money to get the right tools to hack an iPhone, talking millions in licensing Pegasus spyware or developing it by a nation-state. And why spend money on an average Joe for no reason.

It’s probably coincidence if you’re not an enemy to any regime. Your photos are fine. You’re probably finding iOS bugs like everyone does.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019

Unless you're a high targeted individual, I wouldn't worry about pictures being infected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.