Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BronzeLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
Hello, this is my first post. I have used these forums for reference many times and some of the pages here are very helpful!

I have a problem with a Digital Audio PowerMac G4 that I recently acquired. From other threads I've looked at it sounds like my power supply died.

Symptoms and other notes:

When I press the power button, it lights up for as long as I am pressing it and a red light on the motherboard turns on for a fraction of a second.

The fans do not spin up, no chime/bong, cd drive won't eject, or any other signs of life.

I have reset the pram PMU and I replaced the pram clock battery.

My serial number brings up this on everymac.com: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_466.html

What should I replace the power supply with? I'm looking for something affordable. What options do I have in 2021?

On another note I have a working B&W G3 PSU but the numbers are different. I have included a picture with the specs of both, perhaps it could be useful.

Thanks –BronzeLight
IMG_0650.PNG
IMG_20210709_092754480_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
The G3 PSU looks like a pretty good match. Are the connectors to the logic board quite different? If so you would need some pinout diagrams of both units to rebuild the plug to suit the DA.

Reactions: BronzeLight

BronzeLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
Hmm, I will have to check them as I'm away from the house atm. I suspect the connector might be the same since they are close in years. I should have mentioned that the G3 PSU is currently in a working B&W I have, but I need to access some files on the G4 so a temporary swap would be advantageous if they do end up being compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

BronzeLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
Ok, I checked out the PSUs last night and found the the G3 has 20 pins and the G4 has 22 pins, here is a pic:
IMG_0655.PNG

BronzeLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
I’d pick up a brand new ATX psu and use one of these converter harnesses.

Thanks for this! If I go this route, do you know if there is anything else I need to look out for other than size/molex cables when shopping for a replacement atx unit?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for this! If I go this route, do you know if there is anything else I need to look out for other than size/molex cables when shopping for a replacement atx unit?
You'll need to decide if you're going to run the system with the PSU on the outside and the door down OR find an ATX PSU that is going to fit into that space.

You may have to do some cutting.

This may give you some idea of what is involved.

BronzeLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
Seems like one of these adapter cables is the way to go. Thanks for the comments everyone, they are very helpful! If I manage to get this rig going I'll post an update in this thread.

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
It has a CPU installed, right? You could try re-seating the CPU/connector.

If you still suspect a power supply, you could jumper it 'on' and check voltages with a meter. Also, the switch on the power supply is properly set for 110 or 220v?

BronzeLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
It has a CPU installed, right? You could try re-seating the CPU/connector.
It appears to have a CPU installed, I guess could try to re-seat it.

If you still suspect a power supply, you could jumper it 'on' and check voltages with a meter. Also, the switch on the power supply is properly set for 110 or 220v?

It is set to 115v and I know the outlet works because I just used a Dell on it an hour ago. My dad has a meter I could borrow so I think I'll be able to check the voltages later.
IMG_20210713_121742507.jpg

ervus

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2020
That looks like a dual 533 CPU. Those are nice computers. So you pressed the button in the lower right part of your picture?

BronzeLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
Yes I pressed that button. That's pretty interesting that it might be a dual 533 as the sticker on the back indicates it was supposed to have a 466. I noticed that the ram was mixed so maybe somebody swapped it the CPU aswell.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Yes I pressed that button. That's pretty interesting that it might be a dual 533 as the sticker on the back indicates it was supposed to have a 466. I noticed that the ram was mixed so maybe somebody swapped it the CPU aswell.
Entirely possible as my single 733mhz quicksilver is upgraded to dual 1ghz w/ L3 cache. Lots of us tinkerers around. :apple:

Reactions: BronzeLight

BronzeLight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
Update: The machine is up and going and the previous owners data has been recovered!
(upon their request of course)

A hearty thanks to: ervus, AphoticD, Certificate of Excellence, eyoungren, salamanderjuice, and Macbookprodude! Your replies proved very helpful!

I ended up purchasing the adapter that Certificate of Excellence highlighted since I didn't have some of the required parts in my stash. The machine is a 533 MHz G4 with 1gb total ram over 3 sticks (2x 256 and one 512) running OSX 10.3.9. Another quirk about this machine is that it has a Zip drive but it's missing the cutout for it on the front bezel! Everymac says Apple did sell some models with Zip drives but this one is held in with only one screw... my gut still says "factory" but maybe it was added in later!

My plan for this machine is to do a nice deep cleaning and pick up a more permanent PSU. Thanks again!

IMG_20210830_140215833.jpg
IMG_20210830_180549269.jpg
IMG_20210830_180648861.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.