Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I'm tired of the fan on my base Rev. B, and I think there is something wrong.

As I've said before it will spin to 6200 with sub-60*C CPU temperatures for no reason under the lightest of tasks, and the fans will NOT come back down.

UNLESS

I close the lid and put it to sleep, even for thirty seconds.

Then I open it back up, and it will sit at 2500 rpm happily for an hour or so and then bam--there they go again, back to 6200.

While I'm there I am going to tell them the (lightly affected) lines suck too, and see if they will replace the display. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a screen better than the 9C90.

If they replace the display, they just replace the display panel itself, right? Or do they just junk the entire clamshell/outer case and put an entire new assembly in?

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Actually--we will see.

I did an SMC reset earlier in the evening which didn't fix the issue for some reason which led me to believe something was amiss, but just after I made that thread I thought to try resetting the PRAM for no real good reason other than something to try, and so far it seems to be good.

Sitting at 2500 RPM @ 58*C with iTunes and three browsers going, with wireless turned on.

Another thing I noticed that slipped my mind was that for some damn reason the last SMC update reduced the minimum fan speed from 2500 to 1800, and seems to set the default min to 2000. Having a MBP where 2000 is the factory min, I completely didn't realize I have been running at 2000 for the min for who knows how long. Resetting SMC/PRAM/2500 min fan speed seems to be doing the trick...I'll just have to see if it keeps doing the trick.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The unibody enclosure requires Apple to change out the entire lid with the screen, not just the LCD panel. Not to burst your bubble, although they may change out your screen at your request, don't count on getting a panel without lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.