Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
With the rumors coming that there isn't gonna be a refresh of the Mac Studio to the M2 Ultra, the M2 "Extreme" being scrapped, and the Apple Silicon Mac Pro not being expandable, I think the Mac Pro as you all know it, is gonna be done, with the Mac Studio being renamed the Mac Pro. At this point the Studio pretty much is an Apple Silicon Mac Pro in everything except name, expandability, size, RAM count and absurd price tag.

I know a lot of people won't be happy about that, either from PTSD of the 2013 Trash Can, or having a great expandable (albeit way overpriced) computer released for the first time in almost a decade just to have it taken away. But something weird is happening within Apple either from development turmoil or a decline in Mac Pro customers that they might just give up the extreme niche high end market and just target enterprise and prosumers like they do with the iPad Pro and iPhone Pro.

Here's one comment from 9to5Mac that kinda sums it all up:

I am not an Apple guy - I usually post on 9to5Google - but I think that you got it fundamentally wrong here.

Apple products are Apple products. Apple is in complete control. Meaning that a Mac Pro is whatever Apple says it is.

Want proof?

Compare the original iPhone to what it is now.

Compare the original iPod to the iPod Touch.

The Apple TV has been fundamentally redesigned twice (and rumor has it will be relaunched again as a gaming console).

The iMac, approaching 25, now serves a completely different purpose than the original.

Mac Mini? From a cheap device to lure platform switchers to a mini-workstation.

What does above mean? That Apple was never under any obligation to replicate the Intel Xeon W / AMD Radeon workstation with an equivalent Apple Silicon device to begin with. Instead, can completely redefine the Mac Pro as they did the products above.

And why not? Not that hard to do. The Mac Pro was once a favored device for the entertainment media, but Hollywood has migrated to Linux. The Mac Pro is now being mostly used as a general purpose workstation, but it doesn't sell well. Apple can create a cheaper device that is better targeted towards specific consumers that will sell a lot better. The goal shouldn't be to compete with AMD Threadripper workstations with Nvidia Ampere GPUs. Leave that to the Linux guys. The Mac Pro just has to be the best device available for Apple customers.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: prefuse07

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
With the rumors coming that there isn't gonna be a refresh of the Mac Studio to the M2 Ultra, the M2 "Extreme" being scrapped, and the Apple Silicon Mac Pro not being expandable, I think the Mac Pro as you all know it, is gonna be done, with the Mac Studio being renamed the Mac Pro. At this point the Studio pretty much is an Apple Silicon Mac Pro in everything except expandability, size, RAM count and absurd price tag.

I know a lot of people won't be happy about that, either from PTSD of the 2013 Trash Can, or having a great expandable (albeit way overpriced) computer released for the first time in almost a decade just to have it taken away. But something weird is happening within Apple either from development turmoil or a decline in Mac Pro customers that they might just give up the extreme niche high end market and just target enterprise and prosumers like they do with the iPad Pro and iPhone Pro.

Here's one comment from 9to5Mac that kinda sums it all up:
"but Hollywood has migrated to Linux."

I highly doubt most of the producers in Hollywood have time and patience to spend half of their time trying to make something work on Linux and spend other half actually doing some work

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Ten. Eleven if the news drought is that bad.
Well, given that the current headline on the front page is about a game from 2009...

I highly doubt most of the producers in Hollywood have time and patience to spend half of their time trying to make something work on Linux and spend other half actually doing some work
I'm sure they're not installing it themselves; they'll be buying supported systems from niche vendors.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

Producers have an IT person who does this for them. I know, because I used to be sysadmin at a film / commercial production company.

Reactions: Spaceboi Scaphandre

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Producers have an IT person who does this for them. I know, because I used to be sysadmin at a film / commercial production company.

Heeeey I'm not the only sysadmin on the forum!

992.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: mattspace

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
sysadmin is just a glorified help desk lol.

Do you know how to configure a build of Windows 10 or macOS that is compliant for use on federal government computers?

Or how to configure a virtual machine used for developer testing of mission critical apps?

Or how to set up a Cisco Jabber phone?

Or setting up a network drive that is used for holding key data, as well as setting up a backup system for said network drive in case a file needs to be recovered?

Because I do, and our help desk doesn't lmao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.