Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2fives

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Surrey BC
I bought my Macbook Pro at christmas time and received an email from apple today notifying me that my phone support and time to upgrde my extended warrenty is almost up. I thought I had a year to decide about blowing $400 on the extended warrenty.

I live in Canada BC. Is it different from USA??

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
the phone support lasts 90 days from purchase date, but i thought you had a year to buy the extended warranty. Give them a call and see what the go is.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Your phone support is only 90 days. Your warrenty is for one full year. In that year you can buy the extended warrenty (recommended for a MacBook Pro) with the extention you get a total of 3 years of warrenty and 3 years of phone support. You can still get your Apple Care no problem

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You should be able to get the full AppleCare warranty any time within the first year.

By the way, right-click in the reply box and choose Spelling > Check Spelling as You Type, and then it'll tell you when you spell "warranty" incorrectly :)

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
You should be able to get AppleCare within a year after your purchase. I'm almost sure it is the same around the globe.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Don't forget to shop around if you decide to buy AppleCare (which is probably smart on a portable). Apple isn't always the cheapest.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Don't forget to shop around if you decide to buy AppleCare (which is probably smart on a portable). Apple isn't always the cheapest.

thanks for that info! i didn't know you can buy applecare for other sources. where can you buy it and how much cheaper can it be?

cwong5

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
Yes you can purchase AppleCare within the first year. That email notice just to remind you that your 90 days phone support is done.
And yes, there are always third party "plans", but they almost always need to wait for parts or even ship back into Apple to be fixed. You save a little bit of money, but you end up waiting.

cwong5

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
Well, I wasn't talking about AppleCare exactly. Some stores are offering their own brand of warranty. (Best Buy / Future Shop / Carbon Computing)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If it all comes from Apple though, how can it be cheeper?

Actually, CompUSA discounted the price of AppleCare when I hesitated to add it to my purchase. They must have really wanted to sell the machine.

I bought AppleCare for my PowerBook just prior to the first year being finished. However, Apple are probably notifying you that the phone support will be gone and they'll charge you for any support calls you make.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
If it all comes from Apple though, how can it be cheeper?

The same way you can go to amazon and buy an apple computer on rebate when the rebate isn't being offered at the apple store.

The AppleCare warranty is simply another product offered by Apple for sale either at their own or other retail outlets. My understanding is that the warranty has a pretty obscene markup, so some retailers choose to offer it at a lower price than apple does.

You can also buy one on ebay or craigslist IF it hasn't already been registered to a computer. When you buy applecare, you got a box with a registration number on it. It isn't associated with a specific computer (although it may be usable only on certain models of computer) until you register it and activate it through apple.

I'm sure someone will correct me if any of that is wrong, but that's my understanding of it.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
Apple will often call you right before your one year is up to try to sell you Apple Care; it will be at a discounted price (although perhaps not more discounted than some of the other places listed in the thread).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.