Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bakteria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
So yesterday I took a video in the sunset on my way home from work.
Today when I scrolled through my photos app I noticed that the video was completely gone.
I thought maybe I accidentally deleted it and went in to my recently deleted folder but it was not there either.

I've checked the photos app on several other devices and there are no traces of the video.
What is going on? Have anyone experienced something similar? Is this a bug?

The only thing that strikes me as odd is that when I go in to my photos app and I scroll down at the bottom it says "restoring from cloud". But its been saying that for hours now and it seems to be stuck. I've also tried rebooting multiple times.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
Have you had a look directly on iCloud? I think it’s iCloud.com

Sometimes I miss the camera button in my haste and think I’ve recorded when I actually havent

bakteria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
Have you had a look directly on iCloud? I think it’s iCloud.com

Sometimes I miss the camera button in my haste and think I’ve recorded when I actually havent
Thanks for the tip I just checked but it was not there either.
I am certain I recorded it because I watched the video back a couple of times yesterday and I also showed it to a friend.
Now poof its gone. And there was no backup taken yesterday for some reason so the video wasn't synchronised.

bakteria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
Just got off the phone with Apple and they have no clue. I got the advice to backup all my files in case something like this happens again. I'm left with a feeling of distrust. What else might have gotten lost that I have no idea of and also wondering how this could have happened in the first place.
Since the file wasn't synced and was stored locally on the device it must have been deleted locally somehow and since I didn't do it, what could have?

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
That’s in to the realms of things I have no idea about then, sorry! Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along to help

Reactions: bakteria

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
Similar thing happened to me. First time a few weeks ago, second time today.
Took a video with 12 Mini, latest iOS. After pressing stop, only a still frame was visible in the camera roll.
After opening the photos app the video was gone.
I KNOW that I pressed record.

A restart of the iPhone fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.