Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Had a tempered glass screen protector on my phone for a few weeks now and I decided I just didn't want it on anymore, so I took it off. It left no visible residue but now my fingers don't glide across the screen like they used to with the protector on.

I don't know if it was always like this, but my screen protector was VERY slick almost too slippery.

I tried cleaning the screen with water and isopropyl alcohol and that still hasn't helped. Weird thing is, I think the oleophobic coating is still very much in tact because if I drop water on the screen, it rolls right off no problem.

Does anyone know what I should do or do I just have to get used to the sticky screen?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I wonder if using a tiny bit of NuFinish or something similar on the screen would do the trick.

1631806230432.png

I know people use that on their windshields to stop squeaky wiper blades.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
An old screen that's been cleaned with alcohol will feel the same.
As you use the phone, the natural oil on your finger will start to transfer to the glass and after a while the screen won't be sticky feeling any more. Finger will slide.
I don't clean my 6 year old iPhone with alcohol- (where oleophobic coating is long gone) just breathe on the glass to make a fog on it then rub it clean on my t-shirt. Glass feels fine and doesn't look smudgy

Reactions: Jayson A

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
An old screen that's been cleaned with alcohol will feel the same.
As you use the phone, the natural oil on your finger will start to transfer to the glass and after a while the screen won't be sticky feeling any more. Finger will slide.
I don't clean my 6 year old iPhone with alcohol- (where oleophobic coating is long gone) just breathe on the glass to make a fog on it then rub it clean on my t-shirt. Glass feels fine and doesn't look smudgy
The coating is still intact. I can see the water bead up on it and it rolls off super easily. Just sucks that my fingers seem to just stick to the screen now. Makes it very hard to swipe type and stuff.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I can’t even stand using my iPhone 12 mini anymore. The screen feels so sticky. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.