Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Android tablets are more suitable for productivity? Care to elaborate on that?

I have an Android tablet in a form of the Galaxy Fold and no doubt about it, it's my favorite device... but I find productivity between the iPad and Android tablet to be equal. Because if someone decides to highlight file system for Android being superior... then there's better keyboard shortcuts and more trackpad gestures under the iPad.

Basically, you get a better overall experience for productivity on the iPad...but there's no debate in file management being better on Android.
I would say Samsung tablets has better window management on external display and way better window management and multitasking on the tablet. And Stage manager does not do enough to be as good as OneUI (not even using Dex, which personally I use only for external monitors. And file manager as you said.
Sure I prefer the trackpad on iPads but still multitasking clearly goes to Samsung in my opinion

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Wrong about other tablets running sidecar? I dont think so but if you know of a way to get an android tablet running sidecar then I'm all ears.

Note I'm talking sidecar.

Most adobe apps which you can use on iPadOS aren't even available on android tablets.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking so confidently about.
What I am saying is that there are much better solutions than Sidecar on Android, they just don't work for Macs. Again if you have a Mac that's a different story, as I said above. But saying that Android solutions are inferior because it does not work with Macs... well..
Anyway, I use the external monitor feature a ton. I have made in-depth comparisons of the different solutions here on MacRumors and the solutions for Android as much superior to those for iPad (Superdisplay, which works with any Android tablet, and the Samsung Second Screen, in particular).

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I would say Samsung tablets has better window management on external display and way better window management and multitasking on the tablet. And Stage manager does not do enough to be as good as OneUI (not even using Dex, which personally I use only for external monitors. And file manager as you said.
Sure I prefer the trackpad on iPads but still multitasking clearly goes to Samsung in my opinion
I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be, I believe it's more of a preference situation (imo).

Yeah, I like the way Samsung does its grid layout when it comes to multitasking. And the whole edge panel is dope for OneUI... but Apple making an effort into making a better keyboard shortcut system, does wonders when it comes to multitasking.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I am a fully mixed user of gear. I have windows android iOS os and linux.

The Sammy 8 was really nice for my use. I preferred if over the iPad mini.
When I saw I could go from the Sammy 8 to the Sammy 9 ultra for a mere 333 is was an easy up grade.
I am on the fence as to if I will upgrade the iPad mini to an iPad Pro or an iPad mini but I will upgrade that some time later this year.

Since my feet are in most gear and I have played with this gear across the board since 1995. I long ago decided to not be in a single camp.

I am older I was born in 1957 while I stay tech savvy I have found a need for big screens since I had the 2 eyes done for cataracts. If I was 30 with my good close up eyes I likely would have stayed with iPad mini and nothing else.

I get the Sammy tomorrow I will do a simple phot shot of the three tablets and say if your eyes have issue with small size you can see the new Sammy is huge.

When the iPads come out I am ready to get one of them I just do not know if it will be iPad Pro or iPad mini.

I do not need cellular for either the Sammy or the mini

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

When I saw I could go from the Sammy 8 to the Sammy 9 ultra for a mere 333 is was an easy up grade.
I am on the fence as to if I will upgrade the iPad mini to an iPad Pro or an iPad mini but I will upgrade that some time later this year.

Since my feet are in most gear and I have played with this gear across the board since 1995. I long ago decided to not be in a single camp.

I am older I was born in 1957 while I stay tech savvy I have found a need for big screens since I had the 2 eyes done for cataracts. If I was 30 with my good close up eyes I likely would have stayed with iPad mini and nothing else.

I get the Sammy tomorrow I will do a simple phot shot of the three tablets and say if your eyes have issue with small size you can see the new Sammy is huge.

When the iPads come out I am ready to get one of them I just do not know if it will be iPad Pro or iPad mini.

Similar thoughts here (except I'm older). I like playing with the different gear.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be, I believe it's more of a preference situation (imo).

Yeah, I like the way Samsung does its grid layout when it comes to multitasking. And the whole edge panel is dope for OneUI... but Apple making an effort into making a better keyboard shortcut system, does wonders when it comes to multitasking.
I agree, it's personal preference. I have no interest in keyboard shortcuts, I am a UI person, so that does not weight in my judgement.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I am in several camps too, Windows, MacOS, IPadOS and Android. No interest in Linux or ChromeOS however.
I have tons of devices of each system, especially Windows ones.
Funny enough Macs are only for content consumption (I have 4 of them, but mainly use 2, a maxed out 12in Macbook for youtube and a M1 mini as a streaming server)
iPads and Android tablets are both for leasure and work (mainly as monitors for work).
Windows is for everything (I am on my desktop most of the time and on a laptop when away).

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I fully agree, although I always find ”multitasking’ combined with small screens overrated.

True multitasking (for me), is with external monitors where each monitor is used full screen. All other multi window solutions are more multi distractions than multitasking in my view, at least on smaller screens (I’d say my 24” iMac is about as small as I would like to do decent multitasking on)

• Love
Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I fully agree, although I always find ”multitasking’ combined with small screens overrated.

True multitasking (for me), is with external monitors where each monitor is used full screen. All other multi window solutions are more multi distractions than multitasking in my view, at least on smaller screens (I’d say my 24” iMac is about as small as I would like to do decent multitasking on)
that's exactly how I work too, multiple monitors (even small ones like tablets) but all at full screen. I hardly ever do any split screen on my 27in monitor, let alone on anything else unless I have no choice. For me multitaksing = taskbar.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Been waiting and waiting and waiting on the new iPad and my iPad mini is long in the tooth.

I have a Sammy galaxy 8 so after waiting and waiting and waiting I went to Sammy website today got a nice galaxy 9 ultra traded in my
lessor galaxy 8 tab. cost after trade in was 373 a few other credits and I spent under 333 for it.

Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra, 256GB, Beige (Wi-Fi)

Shipping:Get it by May 2
Savings

$349.99

this is price with the trade in of the s8

have to thank apple for being so slow.

I will get a new iPad mini mini down the road.

I prefer my samsung 8 over my iPad mini and was not even thinking about trading up with it as it was working fine.

But to go to the larger screen more ram more storage and spend under 333 after my cc discount it is pretty much a no brainer.

when the mini does come out I will get it as I do like the small size of it.

As an opportunity to upgrade to a bigger screen, that was a great deal. Don’t blame you at all for going for that.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
OP you still have your S9 Ultra? If I was to get an Android tablet (s9 ultra because it's on a deep discount right now), it would be for one reason (well two but mainly one). The file management system.

File management on ipads makes me want to pull my hair out and I dread when Im on my ipad and want to save a file (usually PDF or jpeg). You can't even save an image or PDF properly in iOS without having to go into "my files" after and check where it saved (or if it even saved at all). 99% of the time, i have to save it 9 or 10 times before it actually shows up in my files. Such a massive waste of my time and so frustrating.

I will often just use my Samsung phone because it's no hassle and so much quicker. I think Im going to pull the trigger on this S9 Ultra just to try it out and see how I like it. And I don't know when the sale ends so I don't want to miss out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.