Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omernisar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Are 64 bit dual core mac books happening anytime? Is there a reason to wait

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
Whether to wait or not probably depends on the amount of use that is expected of the laptop, and what types of apps you are plan on running.

omernisar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I am a gadget/tech whore. Thats about it. I will prob run some photoshopping, some web developing, stuff like that.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
64 bit is a non-issue for non-professionals. 64 bit computing allows a single app to address more than 4 GB of ram...so people doing HEAVY photoshop, or video editing, or CAD programs, would benefit most from 64 bit.

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
I don't think I would wait for the simple fact of getting a 64. But I would give the macbook some time and make sure all the kinks are worked out.

Just my thoughts on new stuff.....

But then again, it would be great to get the "newest" gad and be the first on the block! Of course, something new is always right around the corner!

:rolleyes:

omernisar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I just read articles about Intel's core duo road map, and the desktop core duo 64 bit isn't coming till september. And asides from that they won't be available till 07."swee guys" (Cartman voice)

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
OSX - 64 bit features for G5. Who knows for x86. Not that we can use the just announced 64-bit AMD dual cores anyway.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/64bit/

It seems like there's already a bit of a wait for the macbook, do you really want to add goodness knows how long for a product based on an unannounced chip from Intel?

Of course if you just want the fastest Mac out there right now, there's the Quad G5:

"The Quad G5 got the highest score we've ever seen on the CPU-stressing CineBench rendering test: 1,104. The Pentium EE840 overclocked to 3.6 GHz recently got a 667, and an Athlon 64 4800+ overclocked to 2.7 GHz scored 775. CineBench is a multithreaded app, so the more cores or threads your system can handle, the more efficiently your workload gets done." - from PCmag.com review
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1904636,00.asp

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
omernisar said:
I am a gadget/tech whore. Thats about it. I will prob run some photoshopping, some web developing, stuff like that.

Well if you need to have the latest and greatest you'll have to buy a new computer every 1/2 year anyway, so I see no reason to wait. For the tasks you describe here a 1ghz G4 would be enough, so no need to wait for 64 bit Core Duos either.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
law guy said:
OSX - 64 bit features for G5. Who knows for x86. Not that we can use the just announced 64-bit AMD dual cores anyway.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/64bit/

It seems like there's already a bit of a wait for the macbook, do you really want to add goodness knows how long for a product based on an unannounced chip from Intel?

Of course if you just want the fastest Mac out there right now, there's the Quad G5:

"The Quad G5 got the highest score we've ever seen on the CPU-stressing CineBench rendering test: 1,104. The Pentium EE840 overclocked to 3.6 GHz recently got a 667, and an Athlon 64 4800+ overclocked to 2.7 GHz scored 775. CineBench is a multithreaded app, so the more cores or threads your system can handle, the more efficiently your workload gets done." - from PCmag.com review
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1904636,00.asp

Sounds like the Quad concept is a great one! Imagine if they hadnt lowered the FSB from 1.35 to 1ghz?

omernisar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
That quad G5 is ****ing sexy. I wonder if I should get rid of my Desktop. But I really want some media center functionality, for the sexbox 360

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Since you can't put more than 2 GB on new iMac nor MacBook Pro, there's no inherent advantage to going 64-bit (unless you are in a specialized field doing heavy number crunching). I don't know if Mac OS X supports 4 GB maximum RAM capacity afforded by 32-bit Core Duos (aka "Yonah"). If it does, I would like to know whether two new Macs can accomodate not-yet-announced 2 GB PC5300 DDR2.

kyeblue

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
Long Island, New York
omernisar said:
Are 64 bit dual core mac books happening anytime? Is there a reason to wait

the 64bit intel machine will come first to replace the PowerMac line. I don't think that 64 bit macbook will come any time soon. the iMac downwards from 64bit to 32bit suggest so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.